Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 03:29 PM

2 posts, read 11,934 times

Advertisements

I felt like TX Sweetheart did about Rockdale, but I was 15 at the time. some of what you say is true, but not all, it is a little harsh. Groesbeck and Cameron are worse, or try Modesto, CA. I have relatives that still live in Rockdale, and I lived on Bowser, dont remember the house you referred to.
It is a very small town with little entertainment, everyone goes to Austin for fun, so I moved there instead of griping about Rockdale. I live in CA now, no big deal, I would like to visit Rockdale and see my aunts and cousins and the great truck stop food I miss it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2007, 05:27 AM

1 posts, read 5,364 times
I disagree, Cameron is not worse than Rockdale. However, Rockdale does have more businesses than Cameron because Cameron doesn't want new business coming in either. Cameron is a retirement community but it is a safe place to live. In order to get a good job you have to work for the city or out of town. Many people who live in Cameron work for ALCOA, my Father included. Besides....Cameron has won more games than Rockdale with the competition of "The Battle of the Bell" - go Yoemen!

Old 06-17-2007, 09:55 PM

25 posts, read 107,506 times
Truck stop food!! Yummie

BULLOCKS is the best!!!

Texas Faijta is awesome

and well

BANDA's is amazing....!

lol ok im out of adjectives

People ask for an opioion, I gave them my opioion. But if you re read me post, you will see the synical, smart mouth-ness of it. But it's my opionion.
And yes I still live her as has my family for many generations

Old 06-24-2007, 10:09 PM

1 posts, read 5,343 times
WOW..I'm in the process of looking for a piece of property in Rockdale. I think I may look at things a little closer, after all the negative remarks!

Old 07-09-2007, 05:38 PM

1 posts, read 5,332 times
Thumbs up What a bunch of B.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx_Sweetheart View Post
So you want to know about Rockdale Texas ....

People here are generally friendly. It is a very old fashioned closed minded town.

Kirby (current mayor) is trying to change that a bit, but is met with much resistance.

The power's that be, HATE NEW business coming into town. If it doesn't benifit their pocket books.

Hence why we have so MANY mexican food resturants, a wal mart and not much else.

They recently ran out Churches Chicken and a huge potential call center with a famous computer maker people in Austin.

You are who you know, where you go to Church, and who your children are friends with, what kind of car you drive and who you socialize with. And in some circles lines can even be drawn depending on which doctor you use. Thompson or Weed/the rockdale medical clinic also known as Kings Daughter's clinic.(behind clinic pharmacy)

You only go to Richards Memorial Hospital for two reasons.

To die, or to get a quick fix for some minor ailment until you can get to your out of town doctor. BTW which should NOT be Kings daughter's hospital in Temple.

Go to Austin where it is safe.

Old family's get preferential treatment in every aspect. From Elections to the annual Miss Rockdale Beauty Pagent, cheerleading squads, drill team, you name it.

Want your kids to be tops in this town? Then you as parents better start making friends with the uppity up's. It is your social status that will determine your children's rank in the schools.

If you have older teen's, be careful, the kids are CRUEL to newcomer's or ANY ONE they don't like for whatever reason.

There have been several student's driven, to commit SUCIDE, in recent years due to the bulling, teasing, harassing. With plenty of people being aware of it happening but ignoring it as they have done for MANY MANY years.

And NOTHING has been done or changed to prevent it from happening again. and yes the students were not in the "popular" crowd.

It is a god given miracle we haven't had some episode of school shootings.

Snob hill is the area located behind the rockdale tennis courts. sager, yokley and o'kelly streets.

However that is changing a bit due to certain family's recently buidling excessively large homes behind the Vet Clinic on Hwy 79, since the rise of oil prices went through the celing, these family's prospered well.

This town has a HUGE per capita SEX offender population. Look it up for yourself on the State of Texas Web site.

Across from the Elementary school on Bowser, is a white run down house, it is where the Mayfields live. KEEP YOUR CHILDREN far far far away. These are the people that sued rockdale school system when they TRIED to get them to clean up the property because of the unsanitary condition's and critter's that breed in that place and then run towards the elementary school.

Keep some sort of lice killer on hand if you have elementary age children.

Rockdale still has a section of town called "Across the tracks" which is the area located behind Gill's shop and go. Even the cops won't go across those tracks after dark most of the time. Good reason, crack is sold by the truck load back there at Bell's Tavern. The parking lot of Bell's after dark becomes a street run Pharmacy of sorts. Anything you want.

Weekend drinking and driving the country roads is NORMAL. your teen will do this wheter you know about it or not. Its the "in" thing to do.

This is the only place I know of where you can Get drunk off your A*ss and then drive home on the back roads, have a wreck, kill a passenger.
And then be able to BOND out of jail, go to court and get community service for your "accident".

Happens all the time, if you are a rockdale native, or know the right people.

Everything pretty much closes except for the bars by ten pm. You will find your normal crowd of wanna be's there.

K.C Hall has dances on Saturday night, but the locals' call it kitty city for a reason, its nothing but drunk teenagers, trying to hook up. And for pedifiles to find their next young teen bride.

what else can I say? We call it po dunk for a reason.

And you folks moving here for the great house prices, are just silly. Wait till your property taxes go up every year, and at enormous increase's.

Yes Alcoa is the woppti do, around here. No not all of us hate them

They do provide jobs and clog up our lungs so that we can either die young or collect disability and if all else fails we can go live in the trailer park at the edge of town and live on welfare.

Welcome to Rockdale.

Oh yes, and there are several Old school Mexican Family's here, that almost get the same preferential treatment as their white counter parts and you will see an occasional truck load of family memeber of there's that are illegal, don't call INS, you will really hack them off. We love all our illegals here. They are family.

If they go, goodness, where else would we have to eat?
I agree that some of this stuff goes on, but this person is a way off the truth as far as the amount of things that go on. Rockdale is just like any small town that is comparable in size and logistics. What I suggest to anyone that feels this much negativity toward Rockdale, to just pack up, hit hwy. 79 and don't look back. This kind of attitude is typical and a contributing factor to what problems do exist. Don't throw stones if you live in a glass house. It all sounds a bit racist after reviewing the content.

Old 08-27-2007, 11:55 AM

6 posts, read 28,892 times
Default I had to reply

I had to reply to brittany09lynn comment about the bullying in Rockdale. She said " But at the same time, a lot of these kids who get "bullyed" bring it all upon themselves..."

How is that they bring it on themselves? By being unique, not a cookie cutter of the top group in Rockdale?

I have lived in Rockdale since 2000, and this town has been a living hell for me and my children.

If y ou move here don't put your kids in this school system. I did and my daughter is now dead!

Old 08-28-2007, 12:14 PM

3 posts, read 14,985 times
Default I am so sorry

I am so sorry to hear about your daughter. I have a young daughter myself and I worry about bullying in school. She's not school age yet, but I hope by the time she is in school she knows the consequences of bullying. I think there is a problem with our schools, but the sad fact is that problem is everywhere. It is up to the parents to teach our children that it is NEVER ok to pick on someone. We can't let that continue.

I am disappointed that some of you feel the way you do about Rockdale. If you don't like what is going on, what are you doing to change it? I am not originally from Rockdale, I moved there about ten years ago, but I still consider it my "hometown". I think if we see something that needs a change, then band together and make that change happen. So what if you don't live on snob hill or don't own a car dealership. There is more power in numbers than in last names. Find a cause that is dear to you and stive to make the changes that you want to see happen. I challenge you.............

Old 08-29-2007, 12:48 PM

Default Reply to fishb8

I agree with what you are saying in theory. Banding together does work to affect change. The problem in this town is that no one wants to step forward. I did and it has caused a lot of people to avoid me. I however will not stop until RISD has an efective anti bullying law in place. I will be a thorn in their side until that day.

I guess my point about Rockdale is that, it has it's good points and it's bad, just as any other city does.

It just seems as if here it is magnified, in my opinion.

Initially, when my daughter died the town rallied around our family, now they act as if they wish we would go away.

Then others will stop us and say " Keep it up, Rockdale needs to change"

I guess they just don't want to upset the apple cart and fight for change themselves.

Old 08-29-2007, 01:57 PM

3 posts, read 14,985 times
If there is ever anything that I can do to help you in your cause, please let me know.

Does the school ever have guest speakers come in to talk about bullying? You would think with the scope of the problem they would have some kind of program in place.

I agree that most people don't want to be the one to rock the boat, but I say bring it on. If enough people get together to demand change, the school would be forced to do something. I think a lot of the people who don't want to say anything are either scared or feel guilty.

Old 08-31-2007, 11:55 AM

Unfortunetly the school does not have speakers to talk about bullying. I have offered several times, to no avail. I Have a book coming out that I am hoping the JR. High will let me place in their library in Corinne's memory, but I am not holding my breath on that one.

I appreciate the offer for help. I will definetly be looking for some during the next legislative session.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas