Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 06:55 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,770,904 times

Advertisements

LOL Yep, at some given time, someone must have dumped the entire sugar bowl into some cornbread and cooked it up for TR.

I always add a little sugar (the keyword here is little) to my cornbread and it is never sweet. Just adds a little flavor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 07:21 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,600,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Except cream of wheat isn't corn like grits, so the texture is completely different; especially since the former is typically made with milk and not water.

Unsweetened cornbread is barely palatable for me, and I disagree that sugar in cornbread is un-southern.
LOL I didn't say it wasn't "un-southern"...just that...uhhh...use a bit of prudence with the sugar! LOL

Here in cute little link on the subject!

https://community.southernliving.com...-WITHOUT-sugar

Old 02-10-2014, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
LOL Yep, at some given time, someone must have dumped the entire sugar bowl into some cornbread and cooked it up for TR.

I always add a little sugar (the keyword here is little) to my cornbread and it is never sweet. Just adds a little flavor.
LOL Ok, LoneStar sis, I can go along with that!

Old 02-10-2014, 07:28 PM

Ok, I can see I am getting ganged up on here! *pouts*

Old 02-10-2014, 07:39 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
SUGAR??? THAT makes them Cream of Wheat...just like sugar in cornbread makes it pound-cake! A bit of cheese on grits? Welllll, I could go that far, I suppose...but STILL maintain that the best and proper way to have them is with REAL butter, and pepper to taste!

But at least you said light on the sugar...! LOL
Sugar on grits? DEM'S FIGHTIN' WORDS!

I am not opposed to some cheese on grits, or throwing in some crawfish or shrimp if you're making a dinner meal out of it, but grits for breakfast at my house are served with butter, salt and pepper!

Old 02-10-2014, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
My gawd, TR--just how much sugar do you think that people put in their cornbread??

My parents' cornbread ALWAYS had sugar, as did my grandparents on BOTH sides. I'm the one that started making it w/o sugar, courtesy of a recipe that Blueskies gave me here! And that's been fairly recent.

My sister still uses my mom's recipe, which has sugar--and no, it's NOT like poundcake, you silly thing, you, LOL!!

The rare times I make grits--plenty of cheddar/Velveeta/American/whatever is in the fridge, seasoning and hot green New Mexican chile always go in.

I HATE bland, icky grits. The idea of grits with milk and sugar...well....
You're right on all counts, sister. A pinch of sugar in cornbread never hurt anyone. But I DON'T like "sweet" cornbread with a cake like texture. Blech!

I add a pinch of sugar usually (not aways - but I do if I'm making it to serve with red beans and rice). I always heat up my iron skillet in the oven with some bacon drippings and then pour the batter into a hot skillet - that way it gets good and crunchy on the outside while staying tender on the inside! YEAH BABY!

I like cheese grits too - but generally for dinner or for a brunch. For breakfast, I just eat them with plenty of butter and salt and pepper usually.

I love cream of wheat for breakfast too - and THAT is served with butter, sugar, and made with milk. Yum.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:04 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,331,345 times
My brother in law looks like the "Cream-uh-Wheat" man.

My add ins are honey and condensed milk. That's the way mom made it. Sometimes I'll add maple syrup or brown sugar.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:29 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,870,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You're right on all counts, sister. A pinch of sugar in cornbread never hurt anyone. But I DON'T like "sweet" cornbread with a cake like texture. Blech!

I add a pinch of sugar usually (not aways - but I do if I'm making it to serve with red beans and rice). I always heat up my iron skillet in the oven with some bacon drippings and then pour the batter into a hot skillet - that way it gets good and crunchy on the outside while staying tender on the inside! YEAH BABY!

I like cheese grits too - but generally for dinner or for a brunch. For breakfast, I just eat them with plenty of butter and salt and pepper usually.

I love cream of wheat for breakfast too - and THAT is served with butter, sugar, and made with milk. Yum.
I don't remember how much sugar my mom/grandmother put in, but it wasn't overly sweet, and the texture was always rather coarse. We did ours just like you do yours--heat bacon grease (or a combination of bacon grease and oil) in a 10" skillet, and pour the batter in, sizzling!

Now I'm getting hungry!! I love cream of wheat for breakfast (and oatmeal/malt-o-meal), too!! Brown sugar, butter, half n half....MMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

Old 02-10-2014, 08:30 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,870,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post

Or half the bag, LOL!!

Old 02-10-2014, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
My brother in law looks like the "Cream-uh-Wheat" man.

My add ins are honey and condensed milk. That's the way mom made it. Sometimes I'll add maple syrup or brown sugar.
Nairobi - Interesting BLACK HISTORY MOMENT coming!

I was looking up the etymology of old, southern words yesterday, words like "hootenanny" and "shindig" and "rapscallion." My grandmother always called us kids, and my kids "Rastus" - as in "Come over here, Rastus, and give me a yankee dime!" (translated as "Come over to me, you little rascal, and give me a kiss!")

Now - here's the interesting part that I had NO IDEA ABOUT (you may know it though): The word "Rastus" was a nickname, and not a particularly positive one (not really negative, just sort of demeaning) for African American men. In fact, THE CREAM OF WHEAT GUY was named "Rastus" in early advertising. There were also several characters in movies and books, etc in the late nineteenth century and early twentieth century named Rastus.

I had no idea. So - if your brother in law starts bugging you, you can just say, "Hey, Rastus - what's your problem?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas