Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 01:18 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,338,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Cajun/Creole is not really southern at all now that you mention it. It is a self contained culture born of French Canadian stock. Yes there are southern influences but what it is, is a culture onto itself which happens to be located in a southern state.
Right. And the same could be said of Tejano and ranching culture, along with the Tex-Mex food that comes with it: a self contained culture born of Mexican stock that just so happens to be located in a southern state. (BTW there's nothing French Canadian about Creole food).

While I've clearly pointed out the countless southern elements that exist in Texas, you haven't been able to give me a solid reason, exclusive to the state, as to why it doesn't belong in the South. I still haven't gotten an answer to my question.

Quote:
If Houston and Dallas are in the "south central" division of the south are you saying the Southwest as in the desert southwest is an extension of the South? Or did you just post south central because you didn't want to post that Dallas and Houston are in the southwest?
I'd say that most people agree that Desert Southwest stands alone, and the South Central region refers to the states east of that. However, if we must consider some definition of the "Grand Southwest" in a historical context, then I would say that region includes everything from Arizona to Louisiana and Arkansas.

Quote:
I think oil has much more influence on modern Houston than what the old agrarian culture of rice and cotton has. Cotton may have been king at one time but that was over 100 years ago. I understand that you feel connected to that past, but I do not. I was raised in a family of Engineers and perhaps that's why we may have two totally different perspectives. Oil is not southern and I think most southerners will tell you that.
Well, tell that to our neighbor to the east which is another oil and gas state. While you're at it, tell them that cowboys aren't southern either.

I'm not attempting to speak for you and yours. I'm just here to let you know that you will not be telling me that I am not a southerner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 01:28 PM

I'm sorry to say it, but what I've come to understand after posting here for so long is that Texans can be a pretty hard-headed group of people; many of whom do not even fully understand their own culture. We let Hollywood shape the image of who we are, we still slap saguaro cacti on our signs and products, don Stetsons and cowboy boots just to amuse the people from out of state, and we even patronize corny corporate chains like Texas Roadhouse...which was founded in Clarksville, Indiana.

Most Texans simply don't have an accurate understanding of what "Texas" is.

Old 02-08-2014, 01:33 PM

587 posts, read 961,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post

Chimed in? LMAO. Let's go back and look a bit at it all, shall we? Midessan (sp?) was the one who -- intentionally -- opened up the can of worms and drug out the horse carcass to be beaten once again... and even said so much himself. There was no need to do it at all, and anyone who has the slightest bit of perception and "college hours" on this forum knows full well just how sick and tired and tired most of us are. He knew exactly what he was doing and might even be snickering over it all.

That is what disgusts me most about it all. That Midessan obviously knew ahead of time what was going to happen, but chose to do it anyway....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
One last point I agree with you TexasReb that Middesean (sp) is to blame for all this quacking and should be ashamed of himself. Next time let sleeping dogs lye or dead horses (southwestern term) stay dead. lol
Ok, I get it, I shouldn't have brought it up. I'll never do that again.

Oh hey, did anyone else notice that Dallas and Houston are both on that list? I wonder which one is better.

Old 02-08-2014, 01:36 PM

6,291 posts, read 7,498,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I'm sorry to say it, but what I've come to understand after posting here for so long is that Texans can be a pretty hard-headed group of people; many of whom do not even fully understand their own culture. We let Hollywood shape the image of who we are, we still slap saguaro cacti on our signs and products, don Stetsons and cowboy boots just to amuse the people from out of state, and we even patronize corny corporate chains like Texas Roadhouse...which was founded in Clarksville, Indiana.

I'm sure glad I ran into you Nairobi I would hate to think that I lived my whole life not knowing where the hell I was ? J/K

Old 02-08-2014, 01:39 PM

6,291 posts, read 7,498,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midessan View Post

Oh hey, did anyone else notice that Dallas and Houston are both on that list? I wonder which one is better.
Houston of course, here's a link read all about it !

//www.city-data.com/forum/texas...vs-dallas.html

Make sure you start at the beginning and read every post all the way through !

Old 02-08-2014, 01:40 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,874,800 times
Quote:

Welllllllllllllllllllllll....pardon us all to hell.

What an arrogant, condescending statement.

Last edited by Cathy4017; 02-08-2014 at 02:16 PM..

Old 02-08-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Welllllllllllllllllllllll....pardon us all to hell.

What an arrogant, condescending statement.
Hey, Cathy, I didn't mean all Texans and I didn't mean you. That was just my way of suggesting that a lot of Texans could stand to be a little more educated about their own state. Do you disagree with that?

I'm sure I'll be lambasted for that post, though. Oh, well. I stand by it.

Old 02-08-2014, 01:48 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,874,800 times
Quote:
Hey, Cathy, I didn't mean all Texans and I didn't mean you. That was just my way of suggesting that a lot of Texans could stand to be a little more educated about their own state. Do you disagree with that?

I'm sure I'll be lambasted for that post, though. Oh, well. I stand by it.
Yes, I agree that some could stand to be a little more educated about Texas and Texans' history and culture.

But it seems like we all get painted with the same brush all of the time--and that has never worked for me. Texas is made up of several cultural groups, and they differ markedly all over the state!

Old 02-08-2014, 05:59 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,606,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midessan View Post

Thanks Midessan. It takes a big person to apologize in the way you did. I appreciate it for sure!

In turn? I didn't mean to come across as harsh and brusque. I apologize for that, if you might have taken it that way...

It is just that this subject is sooooooo old and has been revised and repeated so many times, that even those (like me) who have strong opinions on the subject -- which ever direction we might lean -- just sorta groan and sigh, and think, oh hell, here we go again...we'll be here all night! And I am the world's worst! LOL

Old 02-08-2014, 06:14 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,606,576 times
Quote:
=Cathy4017;33384776]Yes, I agree that some could stand to be a little more educated about Texas and Texans' history and culture.

But it seems like we all get painted with the same brush all of the time--and that has never worked for me. Texas is made up of several cultural groups, and they differ markedly all over the state!
Cathy, sis? I was just thinking that this is about the only thing you and I disagree on! LOL

I agree with you that Texas contains a mix of cultures...something like Louisiana. Ours happens to be Mexican, and theirs, French. But what I maintain and always will, is that the dominant influence on Texas is decidedly Southern in origin. I understand what you are saying about the lack of a "southern vibe" in west Texas. True, it is a totally different world than East Texas.

But? Still, it is one of the strongest bastions of the Southern Baptist Church, and -- according to that linguistic study I have posted before, is -- especially in rural areas -- a part of the state where the "Southern twang" (i.e. of origins mostly from Tennessee and north Alabama) are the least undiluted by modern day movements and TV influences and etc. And extremely likely to say "coke" for a soft-drink! LOL

But seriously, of course, I understand where you are coming from. I hope you know that.

I am just saying -- and I know and respect that you disagree -- that even West Texas (at least that part not in the trans-pecos), topography not withstanding, has more underlying "Southern" influences than can be detected just by travelling thru it.. Luv ya, Texas sis!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas