Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 01:05 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,346,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrkc07 View Post
O yea, with cheese, light on the butter and sugar.
As a kid, I could not eat my grits without cheese, but now I only prepare them that way sometimes. Nowadays I eat them more traditionally with just real butter and some pepper.

We have some great places to get grits in Houston, but Breakfast Klub is probably the most famous destination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 01:19 PM

875 posts, read 1,662,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
As a kid, I could not eat my grits without cheese, but now I only prepare them that way sometimes. Nowadays I eat them more traditionally with just real butter and some pepper.

We have some great places to get grits in Houston, but Breakfast Klub is probably the most famous destination.
I agree with the Breakfast Club, one of my top restaurants here. I've always eaten my grits with cheese, if cheese is not available I just add more butter and sugar .

Old 02-10-2014, 02:10 PM

816 posts, read 1,948,129 times
I think that article was in 2007, not 2014. Did anyone else notice this in the intro: Enjoy your stay, then participate in our survey again. Go to southernliving.com/ readerschoice before 11:59 p.m. CT September 17, 2007, and name your favorite cities, restaurants, inns, and more. Who knows? You may win a luxury golf and spa weekend.

Old 02-10-2014, 04:02 PM

579 posts, read 1,228,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by An0nym0us88 View Post
I think that article was in 2007, not 2014. Did anyone else notice this in the intro: Enjoy your stay, then participate in our survey again. Go to southernliving.com/ readerschoice before 11:59 p.m. CT September 17, 2007, and name your favorite cities, restaurants, inns, and more. Who knows? You may win a luxury golf and spa weekend.
I'm going to say no since 8 pages of this thread are talking about whether Texas is southern for the 3,482 time.

Old 02-10-2014, 04:06 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,614,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
As I said earlier I had never heard of either. Growing up it was just "fried eggs with the yolk running". Throw some cheese and pepper on top. Yum-yum.
LOL I grew up with calling them something only slightly different. It was (when speaking of fried eggs), as in "runny yellow eggs"

Old 02-10-2014, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrkc07 View Post
O yea, with cheese, light on the butter and sugar.
SUGAR??? THAT makes them Cream of Wheat...just like sugar in cornbread makes it pound-cake! A bit of cheese on grits? Welllll, I could go that far, I suppose...but STILL maintain that the best and proper way to have them is with REAL butter, and pepper to taste!

But at least you said light on the sugar...! LOL

Old 02-10-2014, 04:48 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,346,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
SUGAR??? THAT makes them Cream of Wheat...just like sugar in cornbread makes it pound-cake! A bit of cheese on grits? Welllll, I could go that far, I suppose...but STILL maintain that the best and proper way to have them is with REAL butter, and pepper to taste!

Except cream of wheat isn't corn like grits, so the texture is completely different; especially since the former is typically made with milk and not water.

Unsweetened cornbread is barely palatable for me, and I disagree that sugar in cornbread is un-southern.

Old 02-10-2014, 05:02 PM

875 posts, read 1,662,224 times
Quote:

Yes, light on the sugar (like a teaspoon or 2). Cheesy grits are real good especially with pork chops.

I also wanted to add that in my ISD, my history teacher referred to Texas as the south, but my Geography teacher always referenced us to the Southwest. I think that if most folks take the time out to learn the history of the state they would know that it's indeed southern. I think I have said that before, but in a geographic perspective I can defiantly see why one would include Texas in the SW.....but our history says otherwise.

Last edited by llmrkc07; 02-10-2014 at 05:20 PM..

Old 02-10-2014, 05:09 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,881,679 times
Quote:

My gawd, TR--just how much sugar do you think that people put in their cornbread??

My parents' cornbread ALWAYS had sugar, as did my grandparents on BOTH sides. I'm the one that started making it w/o sugar, courtesy of a recipe that Blueskies gave me here! And that's been fairly recent.

My sister still uses my mom's recipe, which has sugar--and no, it's NOT like poundcake, you silly thing, you, LOL!!

The rare times I make grits--plenty of cheddar/Velveeta/American/whatever is in the fridge, seasoning and hot green New Mexican chile always go in.

I HATE bland, icky grits. The idea of grits with milk and sugar...well....

Old 02-10-2014, 06:48 PM

LMAO. Jack? Sometimes your comments and replies are so far out in the Twilight Zone, I can't decipher whether you are even serious or not....

But ok, ok, here we go again...

Quote:
=Jack Lance;33403690]Yet you reply anyway? oh boy !
Yes, I reply again. LOL And will do it 'til hell freezes over. Just like you reply. I am sure you can work it around in your own mind to think it a different thing, but how in the world could it be otherwise? I reply? Yeah, I do. I promise you this one: You are not going to get in the last word. There are some posters I discuss/debate with, and *shrug*, no biggie as to who writes the last post. It might get "heated"...but at least it contains come content worth going over and all...

Welllll -- and I swear I wish I could say different -- you aren't one of them. I honestly used to think you were; that is, a worthy opponent who was receptive to counter-opinions, and replying in a civil/courteous way, in your own turn. I really did. But now it seems that more and more..read below...you just adopt a sorta attitude as in, "how dare anyone disagree with me!" LOL

Jack? I get the total impression that you have such an inflated opinion of yourself and your opinions, it just offends your sensibilities/sense of yourself in the Universe, that anyone would dare dispute/argue with you. One reason I say that is that you never at all (and other posters have pointed this out too), really answer questions which are in counter-response to your own position, or what you advance.

Instead?, you just shift gears and ask new questions (never having answered/replied to the ones in response to those given you earlier). Of course I know why. It is because you can't! You either attempt to steer it all into a ditch, or deflect the answer to the question who had just posed on your previous post! LOL Oh well...that is just you...

BTW -- what do you do for a living, if I might ask...?

Quote:
lol And you say I am self destructing, this is incredible. Answer: pretty much every modern society in existence today The USA post 13th amendment, Post war Germany after 1945. In the case of the last two because they admitted their mistakes reformed their governments and extended rights to all their citizens.
*throws up hands in despair* To repeat, what in the hell are you even talking about here? Admit mistakes? There is not a nation/society in living or current history that has not "made mistakes".

What "rights" has the South not extended to it's citizens?

Quote:
The south that just got out from under the special provisions of the voting rights act!
ROFLMAO. As I said earlier, perhaps it makes you feel morally superior and oh, so good about yourself...but I say again, it is YOU who lives back in 1935 or 1965. Get over it, Jack. The South today is the most progressive region of the country in terms of race-relations. Before slandering, can you show me how that statement is not true?

I know you don't like to hear that, because it yanks the rug out from underneath your self-righteous, preachy, soap-box.

Quote:
You asked what "Texas" should have done. Texas should not have seceded , so there should not have been a convention or a call to the Governor. Again your defense of the CSA totally destroys any credibility you had with regards to the modern world.
LMAO (gawd, my sides are hurting from how many times I have cracked up tonite reading your replies).

Jack, pleeeeeese try to understand. To at least have SOME semblance of credibility into an understanding of the events of history. I more and more get the sense that you live in some kind of world of your own.

So I ask again -- as I have asked countless times before and you never answer -- given the events of the times and the situation as it actually existed -- not the way you wished they had been -- what was the alternative?

Texas should not have seceded? Then should they have fought for the North? THAT would have been the ultimate choice. But go ahead, for the umpteenth time,, just answer the damn question. If you think so, say so! No problem, if that is really the way you feel.

My defense of the Confederacy destroys any credibility I have with the modern world? LMAO (I am afraid I am going to choke to death with all this laughing). Wellll, for one thing, I don't much care for the "modern world" if it means a "globalist world". Nor even the United States if it means that the states are nothing more than provinces to be ruled by the lords of Washington, D.C. MY America/United States is the original created by the Founding Fathers. A constitutional Republic.

Quote:
This is my last post on the subject. Have fun trying to get your "New Confederacy" going
Good. This will be my last as well...at least to you...unless you wanna keep it up. No problem on my end...

What "New Confederacy" are you talking about??? That that you believe I am trying to "re-establish"? If you are gonna make some sorta "accusation" -- whatever the screwy genre it belongs in -- --, then at least, have the cajones to step-up to the plate and provide some backup for what you say...

If you can't do that? Then why the above accusation on your part? Just perhaps figure you are so aloof to the ignorant, redneck, Texas/Southern peons, as to feel you can just sling around claims like this...and not have to actually be specific as to what you actually mean...?

Whatever, Jack...

Last edited by TexasReb; 02-10-2014 at 07:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas