Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 07:43 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times

Advertisements

What the heck are "basted eggs?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 10:31 AM

6,292 posts, read 7,504,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
I agree with you there. We just proceed from different perspectives, and nothing wrong with that at all....

Yes, I understand that. I too grew up hearing that Texas was "Southwestern"...but it wasn't until later on (when I began to realize I had a taste for history and regional studies), that I discovered (at least to my own satisfaction), that Texas "southwestern" identity (as in kinship with New Mexico and Arizona), simply made no sense. That it was "southwest" only in that it was the western/frontier part of the South. How could it be otherwise...?

How was it a stupid decision? I have asked this before of you. What alternatives did Texas have? Fight with the North? LOL C'mon...that is so outlandish as to be historically ludicrous. Matter of fact, it was only Sam Houston's refusal to call the Texas Legislature into special session that delayed events in the state (as in secession), as long as it did. Otherwise, Texas could -- most likely would -- have been the 3rd, perhaps even 2nd, to secede. Of course, no way to prove that...but I will cite that the vote for the John Breckinridge (the Southern Democrat candidate) was higher in Texas than any other Southern state. And that the vote for secession was higher (percentage wise) than any other state than South Carolina.

So it is one thing to argue from result. It is another to actually have to be there and live in the day with the situation and the options. Soooo, would you have sided with the North....?

Anyway, gotta hit the sack. Enjoyed it and have a good night! Everyone!
In all honesty TR in my mind if Texas is not trying to escape its association with the "South" then it should be. One) the historical stigma of supposed southern backwardness and decadence is something even the deep South should be trying to escape and or remedy and Texas has the opportunity to back out thanks to its historical insignificance too the South. Like you say the South has had a much greater effect on Texas than vice-versa. Texas has always been a side show to the South's main event. But Texas has made a HUGE impression on this country and the world on its own.

If what you say about my mis-education is true, and LBJ was just trying to separate Texas from the South for his own political gain, you have to admit it was effective in that there have been 3 Presidents from Texas since his propaganda campaign, and only 1 from all the other southern states combined. So good for LBJ. Also if this is true then I think there may be a reverse campaign to de-southwestern Texas for "political purposes" as well. Seeing that the South is basically the Republican base, it would make sense that the Republicans are wanting to foster more congenial and homogenous attitudes among their member delegations . This is of course total conjecture, but knowing politics the way I do it does make sense. BTW I Googled "Wall street of the South" and found other sites that confirm both South and Southwest, so I suspect this is a indication that the debate we are having is being played out in other venues and forums as well in the form of a info-war.

What should Texas have done instead of secession? It could have taken the Kentucky route and not secede but not have contributed to any war effort. Just tell its citizens they were free to hook-up with either side of their own choosing.

Anyway I hope we can rap this up today !

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
That's what your momma did to your eggs when you were a wee little rebel.....

Last edited by Jack Lance; 02-09-2014 at 11:29 AM..

Old 02-09-2014, 11:31 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,344,702 times
If nothing else, I think that Jack Lance (and others) should now be able to see that for every argument he has for Texas not being the South there is just as much (if not even more) evidence to support that it is. For every map you can find that places Texas in the Southwest, they are likely just as many maps that place it in the South. This is exactly why this subject will continue to be debated until the end of time.

On the other hand, as far as I'm concerned, those who believe that Texas is the South simply have a better understanding of the facts. Because in order to suggest that it's not the South, one would have to completely overlook or trivialize the ENDLESS list of things in this state that are clearly southern. If Louisiana can be different but still considered southern, I fail to see why the same shouldn't be true for Texas.

Jack Lance and I are both from Houston, so as far as our city is concerned, I see it as pretty much an indisputable fact that we're more like the Southeast than the Southwest. That's as clear as the pine trees, magnolias, Spanish moss, marshlands and bayous scattered across town; the cotton, sugarcane, and rice fields that have been around the Southeast Texas region. It's as clear as the sticky, humid air that's paramount to the Deep South. It's as clear as the accents heard in the city's oldest and most unchanged neighborhoods.

Old 02-09-2014, 01:40 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,774,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Like you, I didn't have the foggiest idea what basted eggs were. Curiosity got the better of me and I googled it. LOL Come to find out, I've cooked eggs like this many times (not using steam, but rather basting the top with the grease they're cooking in).

Learn something new everyday. Guess there's a name for everything.

Old 02-09-2014, 01:51 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,880,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
Like you, I didn't have the foggiest idea what basted eggs were. Curiosity got the better of me and I googled it. LOL Come to find out, I've cooked eggs like this many times (not using steam, but rather basting the top with the grease they're cooking in).

Learn something new everyday. Guess there's a name for everything.
I guess there is, LOL!!

It's a way to do fried eggs without having to turn them, but I have never heard them called "basted" eggs before, either. It makes sense to call them that, too. I remember seeing my grandmother spoon hot bacon grease over the yolks of fried eggs to cook them.

Old 02-09-2014, 03:40 PM

If you guys knew what "blindfolded eggs" were, you should have been able to figure out what I meant by "basted eggs"

Old 02-09-2014, 03:49 PM

As I said earlier I had never heard of either. Growing up it was just "fried eggs with the yolk running". Throw some cheese and pepper on top. Yum-yum.

Old 02-09-2014, 04:07 PM

ah, but "sunny side up", and "once over easy", also has runny yolks if you do it right. And CHEESE, please you are already frying these eggs in bacon grease

Old 02-09-2014, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
ah, but "sunny side up", and "once over easy", also has runny yolks if you do it right.
Okay, well we never had any of those two, so it was never necessary to make any sort of distinction.

Quote:
And CHEESE, please you are already frying these eggs in bacon grease
Your point?

Old 02-09-2014, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Your point?
That's a lot of cholesterol already and your adding cheese on top of it all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas