Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 04:10 PM

1 posts, read 7,311 times

Advertisements

Any help or suggestions or warnings will be apperciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2006, 04:17 PM

944 posts, read 3,954,382 times
Victoria is an unusual destination for someone moving from so far away. Do you have relatives and/or friends who live there? They are the ones to ask.

My personal view is that it's a great area geographically but not socially. But I'm a California/Austin liberal who needs to be in a college town, all that kinda stuff. Victoria will be quite conservative, not very many people with college degrees, etc.

What I like about it geographically is that it's far enough from the coast to have some insulation from the full brunt of hurricanes, but close enough to get seabreeze showers in summer. Also, the coast itself is table-top flat, whereas most inland areas of Texas have at least a bit of rolling-hill type of terrain, which I personally prefer.

I know you get some very hot, humid weather in New Jersey. Imagine that lasting for at least 4 months without a break. That's something else to prepare for.

But I still think it's an up-and-coming place in the long run because of its strategic location, beautiful old neighborhoods, relatively "mild climate" (if you can deal with humidity) and low costs. Don't buy anything in a low spot, they get a lot of heavy rains there and lots of flooding. But that's not a problem if you avoid being in a flood zone.

Old 10-04-2006, 08:43 AM

364 posts, read 1,420,506 times
Victoria and the surrounding area is very nice. My in-laws lived there for many years and I enjoyed visiting them. It is going to be quite different from NJ. Have you visited the area yet?

Old 12-27-2006, 07:16 AM

1 posts, read 7,311 times
Hey, I'm moving to Victoria in May. I currently live in Buckhead a prominent old neighborhood community of Atlanta. My husband has received a great job offer so off we go! Even though I'm tired of living in a big city, I'm a little worried about finding good schools for my two boys. And even though I vote Republican conservatively for fiscal reasons, I need a progressive church. We currently attend a Presbyterian church. Am I out of luck in Victoria?

Old 12-27-2006, 11:11 AM

944 posts, read 3,954,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellyforum View Post
Hey, I'm moving to Victoria in May. I currently live in Buckhead...

You are in for the cultural shock of your life!!! You're going from one of the most cosmopolitan hip places in the country to a small town in rural south Texas!!!!!

I wish you well. Y'all remember it's a quick trip to San Antonio, Houston and Austin from Victoria, whenever you need that quick fix of city life or a decent sushi bar.

Old 01-14-2007, 09:34 PM

2 posts, read 22,161 times
Default relocation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellyforum View Post
Hey, I'm moving to Victoria in May. I currently live in Buckhead a prominent old neighborhood community of Atlanta. My husband has received a great job offer so off we go! Even though I'm tired of living in a big city, I'm a little worried about finding good schools for my two boys. And even though I vote Republican conservatively for fiscal reasons, I need a progressive church. We currently attend a Presbyterian church. Am I out of luck in Victoria?
Hi Kelly, We are thinking of moving to Victoria from Rhode Island and I was wondering if you made the move, and if so how do you like Victoria?? We would be relocating for my husbands work.
Any info would be great Thank You !!

Old 02-22-2007, 09:51 AM

74 posts, read 367,031 times
HeyKelly - My Mom and sister live in Victoria, TX. The other poster wasn't kidding - you are in for a culture shock. Are you taking Spanish yet? (just kidddin') Really, the biggest shock for you will be that Victoria's cultural influence (like most of Texas) is Mexican. Get ready for Mexican food, Cinco de Mayo, Mexican Independence Day in the schools and bilingual church services in the larger churches. You may find it very interesting and different, honestly! It is humid as to weather but the greenery is gorgeous. Victoria has some lovely old neighborhoods too! There are progressive churches there -don't worry. Episcopal and Presbyterian churches are in Victoria, Texas. My Mom loves it and I hope you will too. By the way, you won't be that far from the Gulf of Mexico!

Old 02-28-2007, 10:49 AM

4 posts, read 27,031 times
Victoriana i'm just wondering where your mom live..we live at bon aire ave.. very close to citizens medical center, victoria college and university of houston-victoria.

Old 03-02-2007, 10:31 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,849,240 times
Default Victoria

my sister in law lives there and has for over 30 years--she tells us the allergy season is horrible and now that she is older and has some problems with emphysemea is always having bronchitis
has grown up a lot in past 5 years--now has a pretty good mall and some restaurants---was pretty basic for years when we visited there and I did not see that it had any charm like Kerrville or Wimberley---think it is the terrain--very flat and grassy which does not appeal that much to me...

Old 03-17-2007, 08:31 AM

6 posts, read 22,501 times
Northern Victoria is like suburbia. Southern Victoria is kinda trashy. Area is not too scenic. It gets insanely hot here! The humidity is unperable in the summer. You are probably used to having big cities and ohter cities very close by. The nearest big city is at least about 100 miles away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas