Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2021, 01:48 PM

115 posts, read 63,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andtheblack View Post
Parents are understandably worried since schools are not required to inform them of Covid infections among students with whom their children interact.
Worried that their kids might come home with a cough or fever? I don't understand the need to worry, don’t children generally get sick? Do parents also worry during the flu season?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2021, 02:11 PM

Quote:
There’s a reason why there are no pediatric ICUs in the 19 county region in North Texas, and it’s not because of just fevers and coughs.
What are the chances a child ends up in ICU? Surely we have enough data by now to at least have a rough idea.

Old 08-17-2021, 02:21 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potatocoins View Post
Worried that their kids might come home with a cough or fever? I don't understand the need to worry, don’t children generally get sick? Do parents also worry during the flu season?
Stop trying to downplay covid to being just "fevers and coughs". Like I said, I know someone who is thisclose to death because of it.

No, I don't worry about the flu because my daughter gets a flu shot. The flu has been studied for far longer than covid 19. The thing about covid is that you don't know if you're going to be one of the 'unlucky' who have far worse symptoms and let me tell you, it's more than fevers and coughs. Even the mild cases, the people I knew felt like total ****. Like the flu, I want my kid to have some protection if she's going to be in a tightly packed school. That's not farfetched or unreasonable.

Old 08-17-2021, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Stop trying to downplay covid to being just "fevers and coughs". Like I said, I know someone who is thisclose to death because of it.
I'm very sorry to hear about that, that's extremely unfortunate!

Quote:
No, I don't worry about the flu because my daughter gets a flu shot. The flu has been studied for far longer than covid 19. The thing about covid is that you don't know if you're going to be one of the 'unlucky' who have far worse symptoms and let me tell you, it's more than fevers and coughs. Even the mild cases, the people I knew felt like total ****. Like the flu, I want my kid to have some protection if she's going to be in a tightly packed school. That's not farfetched or unreasonable.
The flu shot is not 100% effective (not even close) and it is entirely possible that you end up being an unlucky one who ends up in the ICU due to the flu. Stop trying to downplay the flu to being just fevers and coughs, it's a highly contagious and potentially life-threatening disease.

Quote:
Pretty good in Texas.
I was hoping for a more specific answer. What does 'the science' say about your chances of someone who is under 12 ending up in ICU?

Old 08-17-2021, 03:41 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,479,098 times
Here's a little twist to this story/thread. It was just announced that Abbott tested positive for Covid just a while ago.

I'll leave it at that, no comment either way other than to say, I doubt he will suffer much as he is vaccinated.

Old 08-17-2021, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Here's a little twist to this story/thread. It was just announced that Abbott tested positive for Covid just a while ago.

I'll leave it at that, no comment either way other than to say, I doubt he will suffer much as he is vaccinated.
I just got that news alert as well. Thankfully he is vaccinated, so it should be a mild case, like you said.

Old 08-17-2021, 04:08 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potatocoins View Post
I'm very sorry to hear about that, that's extremely unfortunate!

The flu shot is not 100% effective (not even close) and it is entirely possible that you end up being an unlucky one who ends up in the ICU due to the flu. Stop trying to downplay the flu to being just fevers and coughs, it's a highly contagious and potentially life-threatening disease.

I was hoping for a more specific answer. What does 'the science' say about your chances of someone who is under 12 ending up in ICU?
I never said that the flu shot was 100% effective and I definitely didn't state that the flu was just fevers and coughs. The 'fevers and coughs' comment was in direct response to your assertion that what's prevalent now are just fevers and coughs. Also, thanks for parrotting my post, but Covid has been more deadly than the flu. And like I said, which you failed to mention, at least with the flu my daughter would have some protection rather than going into the school, during a pandemic that is making a comeback, with nothing.

The delta variant has already impacted more people that I actually know than the previous strain. I don't need the media to tell me that, there's no staff at my office because of it.

My point is that there should either be a virtual component until the vaccine is out for kids or a mask mandate. there are neither, and already there's positive covid cases in our area schools and classes are being quarantined.

Old 08-17-2021, 04:18 PM

Quote:
I never said that the flu shot was 100% effective and I definitely didn't state that the flu was just fevers and coughs. The 'fevers and coughs' comment was in direct response to your assertion that what's prevalent now are just fevers and coughs. Also, thanks for parrotting my post, but Covid has been more deadly than the flu. And like I said, which you failed to mention, at least with the flu my daughter would have some protection rather than going into the school, during a pandemic that is making a comeback, with nothing.

The delta variant has already impacted more people that I actually know than the previous strain. I don't need the media to tell me that, there's no staff at my office because of it.

My point is that there should either be a virtual component until the vaccine is out for kids or a mask mandate. there are neither, and already there's positive covid cases in our area schools and classes are being quarantined.
I'm just surprised that you don't worry about your daughter getting the flu, that's all. How much deadlier is COVID compared to the Flu for someone your daughter's age? What does the science say about that?

Old 08-17-2021, 04:26 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post

It's in the 'Script'

Donald called Abbott and recommended adding this Scene.

"It's nothing" (when you have all the available treatment resources at your disposal.)

Kind of like surviving purgatory. (gain more points for next campaign)

Rinse and repeat (and take the money (gravy) and run)

Milk it!

Several local / vocal Covid deniers tested positive today.
There may be a "Master Plan" behind the scenes. (likely support of Abbott)

WARNING: Don't have a serious accident / health event at the moment!

Old 08-17-2021, 04:32 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,648,319 times
With 28 million people in Texas, and only 317 ICU beds......I will not be voting for him in 2022.

From what I read, he is having high dollar Regeneron treatment for his new diagnosed COVID....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas