Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2010, 05:04 AM

124 posts, read 283,937 times

Advertisements

Well, thats interesting news. I will show my wife this and maybe we will think about moving up our timeline and talk to Marta!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 08:33 AM

262 posts, read 781,973 times
Steve,
Marta's contact numbers are:
Spanish Angles---(915) 964-2208 (You might have to dial a 1 before the area code depending on where you are calling from, try it both ways). She is very busy, so you might have to wait a moment to get someone to answer the phone. If someone picks up the phone and you have a hard time understanding them, it is one of the servers who doesen't speak much english, just sat "Marta please" and they will hand her the phone.
Marta's Cellphone---(432) 207-0114 I don't know if she carries that on her when she is in the kitchen cooking.
The place does a booming business, every day for lunch, the people who work for the power and phone companies phone in their orders about an hour before lunch, and they come in at noon. The state of Texas has a program where anyone in the Dell City area, over the age of 65 who is on Social Security, and not working, gets one free meal a day at Spanish Angels, and the State pays Marta to prepare the meals. She told me that she makes 3,000 dollars a month net from that program alone. The Chamber of Commerce holds their meetings there, and always buys dinner during the meeting. The place is always busy, except for between about 2:30 and 6:00, so she usually cleans up around three, closes at four, and goes home for two hours, coming back to re-open at six, to serve the dinner people.
If you guys decide to take it over, she will stay there till you can get here, so that there is a seamless transfer, without the people of the Dell Valley having to do without the only place in the area to eat, and pass information on what's going on it the valley. As I said, she would teach you and laura how to run the buisness, and how to cook Mexican food the way that she does. Brie

Last edited by Taylorcraftbc65; 10-08-2010 at 08:41 AM.. Reason: Typo

Old 10-12-2010, 06:00 AM

Thanks for the info, Brie! Sure is tempting but as you can figure, will have to put all things in order in order to make it happen - but sure is tempting!!

Old 10-20-2010, 07:26 PM

14 posts, read 30,589 times
Brie, Tee==come by the library when you are in town next. We miss you. Next Week, every day is good except Weds.

Old 10-23-2010, 02:29 PM

262 posts, read 781,973 times
We will come by, probably Tuesday, I'll know for sure tomorrow afternoon, and let you know through here tomorrow night. Brie

Old 10-24-2010, 06:08 PM

15 posts, read 20,738 times
Is it safe to buy 10 acres site unseen out there?
How much does a septic system cost?
Is safety an issue being so close to the border?
Would it be OK to put a shipping container home on the property? (ISBU Home)
I'm interested in off-grid living using solar/wind.

Old 10-24-2010, 08:27 PM

Also, how do you receive packages? USPS, UPS, or Fed Ex come anywhere close? I was hoping to use online services for food and supplies when needed.

Sorry if i am asking repeat questions. I'm just now starting my research into this.

Old 10-25-2010, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm View Post
Is it safe to buy 10 acres site unseen out there?
How much does a septic system cost?
Is safety an issue being so close to the border?
Would it be OK to put a shipping container home on the property? (ISBU Home)
I'm interested in off-grid living using solar/wind.

Is it safe to buy 10 acres site unseen out there? Depends on where you are talking. If you cant visit it personnally, than you should at least be looking at a plot plan to make sure you have access to the lot. If you search back here in this thread, you will find the name Fred and his phone number - he sells 10 acre lots and all his lots have access and most have electricity.
How much does a septic system cost? Typical septic system will probably run you 1500 to 200 plus install. Many buy the composting versions or simply have a pump out tank.
Is safety an issue being so close to the border? The further you are from the border the better you are. But if you are 40 mile east of El Paso, which seems to be where most of the 10 care parcels and more are located, you are safe. Property crimes tend to be most common if at all. Everyone watches out for each other.
Would it be OK to put a shipping container home on the property? (ISBU Home). There are no rule to what you wish to place on your property unless you wish to creat a junk yard-lol! But as far as building codes - none! You want a sod house, stryofoam building, travel trailer, etc - sure go ahead!
I'm interested in off-grid living using solar/wind. Almost always wind out there and plenty of sunshine

Old 10-25-2010, 06:38 PM

Thanks for the reply SWSIDLO!

Old 10-26-2010, 05:16 AM

No problem - here is Fred's info from a different thread that Brie posted:

Give Fred Price a call, or check out Land sales - West Texas which is his website. He is the guy that I bought land from, and is the most honest person you could EVER deal with. His eight hundred number is (800) 418-3015.

I bought my piece of heaven from a gentleman named Mike Stephens - also a stand up guy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas