Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2014, 10:43 AM

725 posts, read 1,240,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCB View Post
The aerial of Midtown Houston and West Village look very different.
Midtown and West Village are very comparable in my opinion, except Midtown is a significantly larger area than is West Village and West Village is a bit denser overall. The densest/busiest part of the neighborhood is northwest of your aerial shot.

Upper Kirby is also densifying into a walkable, dense mixed use area as well and other than location, CityCentre is also very comparable.
Attached Thumbnails
Houston vs. Dallas-midtown.jpg   Houston vs. Dallas-wv.jpg  

Last edited by majicdonjuan; 09-29-2014 at 10:57 AM..

Old 09-29-2014, 10:44 AM
BCB

1,005 posts, read 1,783,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
i was referring to the more developed west side of Midtown.

Here
That's the exact same aerial...

Old 09-29-2014, 10:47 AM

4,433 posts, read 5,344,413 times
Third time.....

Midtown = similar to West Village

Old 09-29-2014, 10:47 AM
BCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by majicdonjuan View Post
Midtown and West Village are very comparable in my opinion, except Midtown is a significantly larger area than is West Village and West Village is a bit denser overall. The densest/busiest part of the neighborhood is northwest of your aerial shot.
So what I'm hearing is that Houston offers no comparable neighborhood in the amount of density to the West Village, Uptown, West End, State-Thomas, Harwood, VP conglomerate.

Is that correct?

Old 09-29-2014, 10:49 AM

3,231 posts, read 4,562,426 times
Quote:
That's a parking garage with an apartment building.

I'm wondering if Houston offers a walkable neighborhood such that Dallas offers.

For example, Uptown, LOMAC, State-Thomas, West End, Harwood, VP, West Village are all connected to form one massive contiguous urban core.
i cant tell if you are being facetious or not.. if so, obviously Houston has no zoning, so we arent going to have any cohesive planning between the districts and build all the urban areas right next to each other..

those pictures were multiple apartment complexes.. yes, with parking garages; and a few office high-rises.. what is any different than the link to West Village that you showed?

most consider west Midtown, Rice Village, and Montrose, to name a few, to be walkable neighborhoods..

Old 09-29-2014, 10:50 AM
BCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
Third time.....

Midtown = similar to West Village
How?

There are a million and one blocks with dust, parking lots, or shanty buildings.

Old 09-29-2014, 10:51 AM

Quote:
i was referring to the more developed west side of Midtown.

Centered around Here
Quote:
That's the exact same aerial...
yeah i realized that it was still linking to your midtown search for some reason. its fixed now.. THAT is the general whereabouts of the area most people consider the dense urban walkable "midtown" to be.

Old 09-29-2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
How?

There are a million and one blocks with dust, parking lots, or shanty buildings.
where? on the east side of midtown, sure.. on the west side where we have been talking about the whole time? the remaining dusty blocks there are being turned into new mixed use apartment complexes as we speak..

Old 09-29-2014, 10:58 AM

4,433 posts, read 5,344,413 times
Quote:
How?

because I have friends that live in Midtown and when I visit we can walk to plenty of bars and restaurants and never have to use the car unless we want to catch a movie....

Old 09-29-2014, 10:58 AM
BCB

Quote:
i cant tell if you are being facetious or not.. if so, obviously Houston has no zoning, so we arent going to have any cohesive planning between the districts and build all the urban areas right next to each other..
That's really hurting Houston's sense of urbanity. What a shame such a great city has no cohesive planning to link the districts together to form a solid urban core.

I would like to see the developers build in the loop and stop building on the Energy Corridor and the Katy Freeway. Urban sprawl is the antidote for an city trying to densify.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas