Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 06:53 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Larado is not at all the worst crime area in Texas. Check out the FBI crime statistics here: United States cities by crime rate (100,000 - 250,000) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Among cities of that size, in Violet Crime, Laredo is rated at 579 per 100,000. Beaumont 981, Amarillo 980, Waco 930, Lubbock 913 & Killeen 782 all rate higher in violent crime. Amoung larger cities Arlington 696, Corpus Christi 826, Dallas 1069, Ft. Worth 667, and Houston 1132 all have higher Violent crime rates per 100,000 people.

In property crime Laredo is rated 6305 per 100,000, Waco rates higher at 6554.
Among larger cities Dallas 6776, Corpus Christi 6540, San Antonion 6390, Austin 6341 all have higher property crime rates.
Laredo is much worse than what crime statistics make it out to be. Everyone knows that half the crimes their goes unsolved and unreported.

Old 01-13-2010, 12:55 PM

1 posts, read 33,482 times
My wife goes to School at HBU on Fondren Rd, in Houston and She has to drive everyday...When are the bad times of the day to avoid.

Old 01-13-2010, 02:40 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,762,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Oak Cliff is NOT that bad in Dallas. South Oak Cliff is worse and Pleasant Grove is even more worse.
South Oak Cliff is not that bad! I live right by South Oak Cliff High School! The worst place in Dallas is South Dallas! (Dixon Circle)

Old 06-12-2010, 09:32 PM

74 posts, read 249,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
is 3rd ward really that bad? it's home to both the University of Houston and Texas Southern University. I know alot of poor people live in the area but i don't hear much about violence there on the news. There seems to be more violence in around Sharpstown (at least that's the way the news reports)
this is the effect of the 'no zoning' law in houston, because if you go to the part of 3rd ward by UH and TSU and past old spanish trail.....and along 288...its a lot of town homes and nice communities, but if you go to the part further by yates HS(the heart of 3rd ward) then you will start to see the crackhouses and blight.....so yeah 3rd ward isn't that bad thanks to no zoning lol

Old 06-12-2010, 09:37 PM

74 posts, read 249,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Oak Cliff is not bad (N. Oak Cliff is very desirable) - maybe parts of SE Oak Cliff and parts of South Dallas and Pleasant Grove have more problems than others - we still have a few rough streets in East Dallas but it has gentrified a lot. Really the highest crime area inside Dallas is NW Dallas. But a lot of the suburbs around here are having most of the crime (since they have most of the population) it seems. Arlington is on the news just about every week - but it's a pretty large suburb so more things happen. And it does have nice parts with very little crime.

Most people I know are able to handle themselves pretty well. A lot of people from homogeneous areas 'freak' when they get into a different situation and the criminals can spot an easy target.
agreed. i live in houston but have and visit relatives very often there. hey stay in north oak cliff and very often we would travel to south oak cliff...not bad at all....it felt a little like 3rd ward in a sense...except w all the parks lol....but yea i enjoy going there..didnt feel any sense of panic..

Old 06-12-2010, 11:44 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
According to this list the two worst neighborhoods in Texas are in Dallas as they are the only two on the list of the top 25 worst neighborhoods in the US in Texas. They are both to the South East of Fair Park and pretty close to one another.

'Most Dangerous' Neighborhoods In US Ranked - Family News Story - WTAE Pittsburgh (http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/family/19844389/detail.html - broken link)

Old 06-14-2010, 09:46 PM

21 posts, read 72,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
According to this list the two worst neighborhoods in Texas are in Dallas as they are the only two on the list of the top 25 worst neighborhoods in the US in Texas. They are both to the South East of Fair Park and pretty close to one another.

'Most Dangerous' Neighborhoods In US Ranked - Family News Story - WTAE Pittsburgh (http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/family/19844389/detail.html - broken link)
I concur with many of your posts. A lot of folks have Dallas twisted. Dallas does a great "covering" job with regard to it's crime rate and violent crime occurrences, but national stats don't "lie". Oak Cliff was/is designed to not look overall bad, even though South Oak Cliff and West Oak Cliff (Sunset High School area) are super-hood and unpredictable at any moment. It's easy to be in Dallas and get the impression that everything is all sweet and peachy, but, the fact(s) is: Southside- don't go, Pleasant Grove- don't go, South Oak Cliff- don't go, Northeast Dallas- don't hang around too long, Northwest Dallas- don't hang around too long, West Irving- be easy, South Irving- be easy, Central Arlington- be easy, South Arlington- be easy, AND- we won't even get into Ft. Worth.

Dallas doesn't have the itchiest trigger-finger, but it maintains a highly willing one- and the police know it; that's why they stay as hard-boiled as they do.

If you remember, after Katrina, Houston experienced a considerable spike in criminal incidents due to the influx of N.O. refugees. Granted, N.O. is damn near next door to N.O., so it was the initial and most logical place of migration, however- some of those folks ended up in Dallas and tried their antics- only to quickly realize that the streets of Dallas wasn't going to have it. They promptly left Dallas because, in actuality, they saw that their criminal interests stood no chance of being tolerated by Dallas' own crime culture.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:42 AM

14 posts, read 126,922 times
i live in a very small town in east texas called gilmer. we are moving to plano to GET AWAY from the crime. on our street there are two sex offenders and a meth lab. on my brother's street are two sex offenders and a meth lab. our house has been broken into, and so has the home or car of almost everyone i know. i teach at a high school with fewer than 300 students in the whole school, and in just the last 12 weeks of school we had 6 kids arrested for violent crimes. drugs have gotten hold of this place in the worst way because everyone thinks they can do what they want out in the woods. boys are brought up to believe that to be a man you have to react violently every time you think someone has insulted you, and we are saturated in guns and the morons who use them. they shoot and run over animals for fun. i won't even go into the animal abuse out here, but it's bad. children live in conditions most people would think the state would know about. people actually live in buses. there are parts of every town that is ok, but the schools mostly suck and the further you get from town the worse it gets. all our friends think we're crazy because they think the city isn't safe, and i say open your eyes. it couldn't possibly be worse than here.

Old 07-25-2010, 02:23 PM

1 posts, read 32,793 times
it,s not bad as long as you carry your pistol with you every where!

Old 07-26-2010, 01:35 PM

922 posts, read 1,697,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
South Oak Cliff is not that bad! I live right by South Oak Cliff High School! The worst place in Dallas is South Dallas! (Dixon Circle)
When you look at stats the worst areas over the last five years are both in North Dallas. Both are highly populated areas with lots of section 8 apartments, but the majority of the single residential dwelling neighborhoods around these areas are low crime areas.

Area from Church to Forest bounded by Abrams and the Garland City Limits.

Murder: 46
Agg. Assault: 1,012
Robbery: 1,321
Rape: 134

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Five Points

Murder: 14
Agg. Assault: 545
Robbery: 1,356
Rape: 76

I'm only including violent crimes numbers though, for per capita it would probably be Highland Hills of the Fruitdale neighborhoods which are both in East Oak Cliff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas