Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2016, 03:18 PM

198 posts, read 190,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
I'm sure the Gulf helps due to the precipitation but I don't think that tells the whole story. I think Houston is greener than Dallas in great part because it has more rivers/bayous/floodplains flowing there which in turn make it more humid. In a way similar to the Mississippi Delta and other areas close to the Mississippi River.
In terms of lushness, I will describe only four regions; everywhere else in Texas is either too hot/dry, or just otherwise too continental influenced, to allow for vital vegetation growth of note:

The Southeast Texas area ( Houston, Port Arthur, Beaumont, Liberty,etc) has, by far, the lushest, most luxuriant growth of vegetation that can be offered in Texas; not only does the geography allow for huge nourishment of the region with Gulf moisture, the winters are also quite mild, meaning that plants grow for quite a while through the year.

The inland Piney Woods region is indeed quite forested, true, but the vigor, vitality, and growth of vegetation won't be as much as in coastal Southeast Texas; being inland, Gulf moisture can only go so far so often, and, thus, the Piney Woods forests can miss out on quite a few storms that hit the Gulf Coast. On top of that, the Piney Woods forests see hotter/drier summer conditions than the Gulf Coast, meaning that plants experience that much more desiccation. But, what allows this region to be forested with pine is the worn, ancient soils (I believe from the Appalachians); highly acidic pH, and mechanically easy for plants to grow through. If the northern Gulf Coast of Texas has those same Piney Woods soils all along the coast, instead of large areas of "claypan" then you would be seeing a forest far more lush and exotic than anything the Piney Woods has to offer.

Coastal South Texas (Corpus, Brownsville, etc) is quite arid (in terms of annual precipitation), since the shape of the coast is such that the Gulf moisture can't be as readily furnished to the are. However, even then, the area still receives the constant high humidity and moderate temps, and it has the warmest winters statewide. Thus, even with the aridity, it still ends up being a region of high growing power as well, topped with the best ability to grow tropical plants compared to the rest of Texas.

Areas of Texas west to I-35 (Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, etc) certainly are loaded with trees, but the region is at a moisture flux between humid and dry, and is prone to extremely hot, dry spells during summer. As a result, the vegetation that grows is taxed and restricted by the aridity, and so, won't quite have the vitality and "robustness" seen in the aforementioned three regions above.

I, thus, agree with you that the Gulf certainly is not the full story, in regards to how lush a place ends up being, but it is, however, a huge part of the story. You mention the existence of bayous/waterways; those can indeed add to how lush a place is, especially in conjunction with the Gulf. In areas that lack ideal soil conditions, the bayou/waterway alluvium provides an oasis of ideal conditions for plant growth.

Old 06-26-2016, 05:52 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,755,023 times
After living in both I laugh when people try to insinuate either city is best at everything. Its a ridiculous notion. Its all about preference:

Dallas has: seasons, better shopping, more active nightlife (in most categories), better walkable neighborhoods, better suburbs.

Houston has: better eating, is more international, is more diverse (though Dallas is a close second), is more lush, is much more laid back.

To each their own. I was happy in Dallas and Im happy in Houston.

Old 06-26-2016, 07:58 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,786,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
After living in both I laugh when people try to insinuate either city is best at everything. Its a ridiculous notion. Its all about preference:

Dallas has: seasons, better shopping, more active nightlife (in most categories), better walkable neighborhoods, better suburbs.

Houston has: better eating, is more international, is more diverse (though Dallas is a close second), is more lush, is much more laid back.

To each their own. I was happy in Dallas and Im happy in Houston.
I just don't see how Dallas has more active nightlife.

Old 06-26-2016, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
I just don't see how Dallas has more active nightlife.
You haven't lived there and you think Houston is superior at everything. You don't seem to be objective in comparing the two. You've had people explain why that is the case in previous threads and you ignore them.

Old 06-26-2016, 08:32 PM

Quote:
You haven't lived there and you think Houston is superior at everything. You don't seem to be objective in comparing the two. You've had people explain why that is the case in previous threads and you ignore them.
You're very rude for no reason. My response to your post was not rude at all. I don't think Houston is superior in everything; you think I think that. Everyone has opinions, but instead, you want to bash me for mine, especially when something regards Dallas.

I've visited Dallas and found it lackluster. And the Dallas people I know and have run into at SXSW, like Houston's nightlife much better. Granted, they could be referring one aspect.

Old 06-26-2016, 08:39 PM

Quote:
You're very rude for no reason. My response to your post was not rude at all. I don't think Houston is superior in everything; you think I think that. Everyone has opinions, but instead, you want to bash me for mine, especially when something regards Dallas.

I've visited Dallas and found it lackluster. And the Dallas people I know and have run into at SXSW, like Houston's nightlife much better. Granted, they could be referring one aspect.
Ive been through this one too many times with you. Ive told you why I think what I do and, at least on here, most people seem to agree with me. I know you're probably viewing it from the perspective of black nightlife which is the one thing Houston does to better. Dallas has more cohesive nightlife districts, has better venues for electronic music, house music, metal, rock, and has more local talent in those genres. Dallas also has a much bigger and better gay nightlife scene.

Im sorry but unless you are only looking at what city offers the most in black nightlife, an objective person will say the same. Ive lived in both cities and partied in both cities. Houston is not boring whatsoever, but its nightlife is not as active as Dallas on the whole.

Old 06-26-2016, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Ive been through this one too many times with you. Ive told you why I think what I do and, at least on here, most people seem to agree with me. I know you're probably viewing it from the perspective of black nightlife which is the one thing Houston does to better. Dallas has more cohesive nightlife districts, has better venues for electronic music, house music, metal, rock, and has more local talent in those genres. Dallas also has a much bigger and better gay nightlife scene.

Im sorry but unless you are only looking at what city offers the most in black nightlife, an objective person will say the same. Ive lived in both cities and partied in both cities. Houston is not boring whatsoever, but its nightlife is not as active as Dallas on the whole.
To be fair, I'm looking at it from a black perspective; yes, Houston's black nightlife is far beyond Dallas's. Houston is definitely better in that aspect hands down and no questions asked.

However, I've heard from white and Latin people at work that they think Houston is better for nightlife. When I went last month, Dallas wasn't as lively as I'd thought it would be.

I agree that Houston has nightlife spread throughout. This can be a good and a bad thing. Yes, it doesn't result in a cohesive area, but it does result in more of a convenience, if you will.

Old 06-26-2016, 09:33 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,792,717 times
Quote:

My point has always been that nightlife is nearly impossible to measure objectively. Since no two people are going to be looking for the same thing. Look at all those people who insist that Austin itself makes the nightlife elsewhere in Texas practically obsolete.

Old 06-26-2016, 10:14 PM

Quote:
To be fair, I'm looking at it from a black perspective; yes, Houston's black nightlife is far beyond Dallas's. Houston is definitely better in that aspect hands down and no questions asked.

However, I've heard from white and Latin people at work that they think Houston is better for nightlife. When I went last month, Dallas wasn't as lively as I'd thought it would be.

I agree that Houston has nightlife spread throughout. This can be a good and a bad thing. Yes, it doesn't result in a cohesive area, but it does result in more of a convenience, if you will.
You heard from white and Latin people. You don't say?

I'll go ahead and stop you here. I've lived in both cities. You can't tell me anything about either that I don't already know. You've been obsessed with Houston since you came on here. You simply do not have the capacity to objectively compare Houston to anywhere else. Believe what you want. I have no interest in changing your mind or debating with you further. Until you've lived in both, you haven't. End of story.

Old 06-26-2016, 10:28 PM

Quote:
You heard from white and Latin people. You don't say?

I'll go ahead and stop you here. I've lived in both cities. You can't tell me anything about either that I don't already know. You've been obsessed with Houston since you came on here. You simply do not have the capacity to objectively compare Houston to anywhere else. Believe what you want. I have no interest in changing your mind or debating with you further. Until you've lived in both, you haven't. End of story.
Fine. Get out ya feelings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas