Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 10:33 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,786,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
My point has always been that nightlife is nearly impossible to measure objectively. Since no two people are going to be looking for the same thing. Look at all those people who insist that Austin itself makes the nightlife elsewhere in Texas practically obsolete.
Exactly!

Old 06-27-2016, 09:10 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,979,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
You haven't lived there and you think Houston is superior at everything. You don't seem to be objective in comparing the two. You've had people explain why that is the case in previous threads and you ignore them.
Tbh neither did you. When you describe Dallas you say it has a lot more but when you describe Houston, you make sure to say Dallas is a close second. You gotta be fair to here. The nightlife in both depends on what you like.

Last edited by DabOnEm; 06-27-2016 at 09:20 PM..

Old 06-28-2016, 08:50 AM

3,164 posts, read 2,055,248 times
Nightlife is always going to be subjective. Houston wins for me just because the women are friendlier!

Old 06-28-2016, 01:47 PM

82 posts, read 80,786 times
I would choose Houston for one reason....Dallas is in North Texas which is a high risk for tornado's. I know I lived there. Houston can get hurricanes but they are don't happen as often! We left N. Texas because of the tornado's and I've never regretted it.

Old 06-28-2016, 02:52 PM

6 posts, read 4,407 times
Fun recent couple of posts!

I am from Houston, but lived in Dallas from 2003 - 2013. Spent my 20s there so I'm very familiar with the nightlife. There is a more active nightlife in Dallas imo. While it was fun, I much prefer Houston's nightlife. The people here just seem nicer and more approachable. Plus, I've found the main bar scenes (midtown/downtown/village) to be WAY more diverse. Better for late 20s and older. Not nearly as many 30 thousand dollar millionaires either, heh.

I do miss living in Dallas. Better, cleaner roads. Less visible homeless. Homes within 20 minutes of downtown Dallas in decent areas weren't obscenely expensive. Not nearly as humid. Less flooding. Less mosquitos.

I enjoy Houston though. Feels more like a city. Love the food, the diversity, has a neat downtown bar scene... and it's great being close to the coast. Not the best beaches, but still better than nothing. Can't forget the tacos here. And China town - it's massive and full of great, inexpensive food.

Old 06-28-2016, 03:41 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,716,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevendaysworth View Post
I enjoy Houston though. Feels more like a city. Love the food, the diversity, has a neat downtown bar scene... and it's great being close to the coast. Not the best beaches, but still better than nothing. Can't forget the tacos here. And China town - it's massive and full of great, inexpensive food.
I think this is my biggest issue with the DFW area. Even though it's one of the largest metros in the country, it doesn't at all feel like a big city. It feel more like a medium sized city, just more sprawled out, and with more highways.

I've only been to Houston one time, but it definitely felt more incorporated.

Old 06-29-2016, 02:57 PM

298 posts, read 416,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Folks View Post
I would choose Houston for one reason....Dallas is in North Texas which is a high risk for tornado's. I know I lived there. Houston can get hurricanes but they are don't happen as often! We left N. Texas because of the tornado's and I've never regretted it.
Lived in North Texas all my life. Never seen one tornado in real life.

Old 06-29-2016, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I think this is my biggest issue with the DFW area. Even though it's one of the largest metros in the country, it doesn't at all feel like a big city. It feel more like a medium sized city, just more sprawled out, and with more highways.

I've only been to Houston one time, but it definitely felt more incorporated.
To me, both Dallas and Houston felt the same size.

Old 06-29-2016, 03:18 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,566,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKAddict View Post
To me, both Dallas and Houston felt the same size.
Assuming you meant DFW and not Dallas, I could see where you're coming from in terms of "same size". The size of each metro is very similar. However, it's hard to get a grasp of 10,000 square miles at one time. Houston is, for the most part, one large singular city. DFW is made up of a bunch of smaller individual cities and 2 bigger cities, ranging in size from 1/3rd to 1/2 the size of the city of Houston.

Old 06-29-2016, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
Assuming you meant DFW and not Dallas, I could see where you're coming from in terms of "same size". The size of each metro is very similar. However, it's hard to get a grasp of 10,000 square miles at one time. Houston is, for the most part, one large singular city. DFW is made up of a bunch of smaller individual cities and 2 bigger cities, ranging in size from 1/3rd to 1/2 the size of the city of Houston.
No, I meant the core of each city. To me, both cores are on the same level when it comes to urbanity, population, and a "big city" feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas