Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2010, 05:06 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,835,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Maybe around Atlanta Metro, but not in D/FW...sorry man.

North Texas' trees are a joke compared to Southeast Texas'.

Everytime I'm in Dallas or Fort Worth it reminds me of why I don't ever wanna live there again.

I've got a sweetgum tree in my backyard here in Tyler that's taller than anything I've EVER seen in North Texas. Its around 70-80 feet tall, but then again this is East Texas.

Tyler is more like Houston in that regard than Dallas.
Ok Mr. Hyperbole ...Southeast Texas you know metro Matt has some treeless areas as well and they aren't small pockets by any stretch of the imaginary. DFW isn't the most forested area in the country but it isn't exactly a desert either. You never seen a 80 ft tree in DFW you are a liar. I have seen 80 foot planted pine trees in DFW and you are the same poster that mention your friend in East Fort Worth had a 70-80 ft pine tree in his yard.

Old 12-13-2010, 05:57 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,836,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
You people confuse me??? Dallas is sometimes consider barren and treeless, but Sugarland isn't???? Dallas is more lush than Sugar Land.
Quote:
Dallas is a much more established city so of course it would have much more tree coverage.
You are mixing up Sugar Land with somewhere else. Is Sugar Land suddenly not a part of the Houston metro, with similar soil and rain/weather patterns? Like I said before, with the exception of the farming areas and areas developers have leveled for new developments, Sugar Land is full of trees (including naturally occurring... the area was even named Oakland Plantation before it was Sugar Land.)

Old 12-13-2010, 09:32 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
You are mixing up Sugar Land with somewhere else. Is Sugar Land suddenly not a part of the Houston metro, with similar soil and rain/weather patterns? Like I said before, with the exception of the farming areas and areas developers have leveled for new developments, Sugar Land is full of trees (including naturally occurring... the area was even named Oakland Plantation before it was Sugar Land.)
If Sugar Land is full of trees; than so is Waco and Dallas. I don't think Sugar Land is treeless, but I don't see how people can say Dallas is barren and treeless, but turn around and say Sugar Land is lush. Neither are no Woodlands.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:38 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Ok Mr. Hyperbole ...Southeast Texas you know metro Matt has some treeless areas as well and they aren't small pockets by any stretch of the imaginary. DFW isn't the most forested area in the country but it isn't exactly a desert either. You never seen a 80 ft tree in DFW you are a liar. I have seen 80 foot planted pine trees in DFW and you are the same poster that mention your friend in East Fort Worth had a 70-80 ft pine tree in his yard.
Yes, my cousin does have some planted pine trees in her back yard in East Fort Worth, but they are not 70-80 feet tall...not even close.

Where in Southeast Texas is it not forested besides maybe Port Aurthur & other such areas closer to the coast? Beaumont is forested north of I-10 where just south of there is becomes more coastal plains-y & they grow rice.

Interstate 10 is roughly the dividing line of where the Piney Woods of Southeast Texas meets the Gulf Coast Plains.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:40 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
the only person they are laughing at is you.

you search for apartments in the SW you get apartments on westheimer. You go the chamber of commerce cite, lookie there, it shows that westheimer is in the southwest.

you are the only one on here I see that use lazy terms to describe areas of Houston. west and east??? how lazy is that???

Dude Korea town is in the northwest, westheimer is in the south west
LOL, you're on your own with this one. Again, you act like you have an army of people agreeing with you, but you're actually all alone. LOL at Koreatown being considered Northwest Houston. That's west bro. Learn2Read.

Edit: And I'll even give you Westheimer as the extreme northern boundaries for what most Houstonians consider Southwest Houston (because that is even stretching it), but to say the areas around Memorial City Mall is Southwest Houston is just so damn funny. You are the ONLY person I have EVER heard call that part of Houston, "Southwest Houston". And then just across I-10, you want to call it "Northwest Houston". Please.

Last edited by Trae713; 12-13-2010 at 10:59 PM..

Old 12-13-2010, 11:33 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times
Quote:
If Sugar Land is full of trees; than so is Waco and Dallas. I don't think Sugar Land is treeless, but I don't see how people can say Dallas is barren and treeless, but turn around and say Sugar Land is lush. Neither are no Woodlands.
I can name areas of Dallas city limits that are larger (or near larger) than the city limits of Sugar Land that don't even have trees.

Can you name even 3 square miles of Sugar Land's total 24 Square Miles that doesn't have trees? I cant and that's with 14 years of living there that I cant name one spot in Sugar Land that's missing trees. Even inside the town centers and the urban corridors of Sugar Land manage to have trees that both Dallas & Houston can learn from for their Downtown's respectively. Neither Dallas nor Sugar Land are The Woodlands, because The Woodland capitalizes on taller more lush trees in close proximity to one another than both Dallas & Sugar Land.
But come on dude lets be real here, you cant compare how lush a city is to a suburb, especially a suburb that developed in a previously wooded land area.

Dallas city limits does have some open land without trees. Sugar Land overall has a higher percentage of trees than Houston city limits. Arguing this is just wont get the results you would want.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:10 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
I can name areas of Dallas city limits that are larger (or near larger) than the city limits of Sugar Land that don't even have trees.

Can you name even 3 square miles of Sugar Land's total 24 Square Miles that doesn't have trees? I cant and that's with 14 years of living there that I cant name one spot in Sugar Land that's missing trees. Even inside the town centers and the urban corridors of Sugar Land manage to have trees that both Dallas & Houston can learn from for their Downtown's respectively. Neither Dallas nor Sugar Land are The Woodlands, because The Woodland capitalizes on taller more lush trees in close proximity to one another than both Dallas & Sugar Land.
But come on dude lets be real here, you cant compare how lush a city is to a suburb, especially a suburb that developed in a previously wooded land area.

Dallas city limits does have some open land without trees. Sugar Land overall has a higher percentage of trees than Houston city limits. Arguing this is just wont get the results you would want.
I could be speaking about Dallas suburbs and still think the same. Sugar Land looks like Dallas suburbs. My purpose is that Dallas area is always criticized about it's trees, but people are calling Sugar Land lush and plentiful.

Anyways, this debate is lame and I think we're kind of agreeing with each other anyway.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:14 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post

I think what he is saying are naturally forested areas like The Woodlands and Kingwood versus areas like Sugar Land and Dallas where the developers planted the trees a long time ago (or brought them in from other areas) and now they are maturing. And you can't use the square mile argument with Dallas and Sugar Land, since Dallas' city limits are much larger than Sugar Land's.

Last edited by Trae713; 12-14-2010 at 08:22 AM..

Old 12-14-2010, 08:44 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,842,323 times
there are parts of dallas that are as green as sugar land, but the latter is still more lush, simply because of the fact that southeast texas is more humid and receives much more rainfall than north texas

of course dallas isn't barren, but it still isn't as green as sugar land

Old 12-14-2010, 08:54 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
I think what he is saying are naturally forested areas like The Woodlands and Kingwood versus areas like Sugar Land and Dallas where the developers planted the trees a long time ago (or brought them in from other areas) and now they are maturing. And you can't use the square mile argument with Dallas and Sugar Land, since Dallas' city limits are much larger than Sugar Land's.
You're getting me wrong dude.

What I mean saying is that you cant compare any suburb to any city like that. The city is built up and built out with concrete around the areas. Of course it limits the city whether its land area is 48 square miles or 700 square miles.

Sugar Land is a suburb, a neighborhood residential, family friendly place. Every median in the road had trees lined with it. Every place you go has trees lining the area because well that's just its character, its a family environment, nice little cozy place, not a big city like Houston or Dallas. In Houston & Dallas you can have trees lining medians but not every median will have it, not as much of the overall city's land areas (by percentages) will have trees because they're built out like nuts.

Sugar Land (Katy, Plano, Irving) are all going to be more lush green because they're suburbs, family friendly areas made to look attractive for real estate reasons with trees lining their medians and streets, and parks, and reserves, and trees in their town centers, and all that good stuff. Houston & Dallas are cities and function as so. Now saying Houston is more lush green than Dallas, that can be said.

But Sugar Land the suburb shouldn't be compared to Dallas the city. Ever. (LOL)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas