Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2013, 05:56 PM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,096,099 times

Advertisements

Can't we all just agree that Toronto is its own city and nothing like anywhere in the US? That seems to be the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 06:38 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,599,838 times
^^^ What city is like San Francisco? What city is like Miami? What city is like Philly? What city is like Boston? What city is like DC? What city is like Montreal? If you think about it, it's very hard to relate any given city to any one other city. It's not easy and hence the challenge, Toronto included.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:29 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,728,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanc View Post
^^^ What city is like San Francisco? What city is like Miami? What city is like Philly? What city is like Boston? What city is like DC? What city is like Montreal? If you think about it, it's very hard to relate any given city to any one other city. It's not easy and hence the challenge, Toronto included.
I was posting something similar last night and it got somehow lost.

Yes, Toronto is unique in its own way, but so are most major cities. You don't find a city similar to Los Angles or Chicago either. They are all very different from others.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:54 PM

592 posts, read 828,691 times
Toronto doesn't feel like NYC to me at all. Ethnically, its probably closest to San Francisco. However, it's sprawl reminds of me Houston! I see some people comparing the sprawl to Chicago, but Chicago seemed denser to me. The cleanliness of Toronto reminds me a bit of Seattle to be honest. I don't see how people can find Toronto dirty. It seems cleaner than most American cities and is definitely cleaner than San Francisco, Chicago, NYC, Detroit, Cleveland, etc.

But to be honest, this is a loaded question. Toronto feels like Toronto. Its hard to compare most major North American cities. All share some similarities and all have many differences. I can say aspects of Toronto remind me of SF, but I still think they're very different cities. Same if I compared Toronto to Chicago, or Seattle, etc.

That being said, some of the Canadian posters have MAJOR issues with wanting to be compared to NYC. They aren't similar at all.

Oh yeah- whoever said that Toronto is most similar to Detroit wins the award for most ridiculous post I have ever read on city data.

Old 10-02-2013, 02:10 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,242,327 times
^ Toronto's suburban sprawl is much denser than Chicago's and Houston's!

See here: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=207652

Last edited by Atticman; 10-02-2013 at 02:24 PM..

Old 10-02-2013, 03:06 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,407,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFNative87 View Post
Toronto doesn't feel like NYC to me at all. Ethnically, its probably closest to San Francisco.
Really? I didn't realize there were so many people from Pakistan, India and Sri lanka in S.F.

Quote:

That being said, some of the Canadian posters have MAJOR issues with wanting to be compared to NYC. They aren't similar at all.
This is true, NYC seems to be an obsession for many Torontonians.

Old 10-02-2013, 05:30 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,599,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post

See here: Why Toronto's Suburbs are the 'New City' (Commentary) - SkyscraperPage Forum
That might be true but it also doesn't matter much, the real question to ask is who has nicer suburbs? Hands down, I would pick Chicago. I've only been in the Chicago burbs a handful of times but there are so many areas that are beautiful towns in their own right with distinct homes, well manicured landscapes and nice main streets. They are low density because they are filled with larger homes/lots which is how people like to live in the burbs. Toronto's burbs likely have higher density because of all the apartment buildings, many of which house immigrants, and cookie cutter homes that are jammed closer together with smaller lots. I have never and will never live in the burbs of any city but isn't space the whole point of living in the boonies? Outside of Oakville, I hate to say it but Toronto's suburbs seem very generic and not aesthetically pleasing. The are also extremely boring compared to the more exciting Toronto city core.

Last edited by johnathanc; 10-02-2013 at 05:42 PM..

Old 10-02-2013, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post

See here: Why Toronto's Suburbs are the 'New City' (Commentary) - SkyscraperPage Forum
My mistake, I was referring to urban sprawl, not suburban. Yes, Toronto's suburban sprawl is much more dense than Chicago's.

Last edited by SFNative87; 10-02-2013 at 08:47 PM..

Old 10-02-2013, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Really? I didn't realize there were so many people from Pakistan, India and Sri lanka in S.F.
You are correct- within SF city limits there isn't a very large Indian community- nowhere as large as Toronto's. But the SF MSA is about 3% Indian- same as the NYC MSA. And the San Jose MSA is 6.4% Indian, the highest in the country. So yes, while most don't reside in the city of SF, there is a decent amount in the greater area.

SF and Toronto(city proper) have a fairly similar percentage of whites, blacks, chinese and filipinos. The major difference would be Toronto's Indian/Pakistani/Sri Lankan community and San Francisco Latino community. But otherwise they are relatively similar ethnically/racially. I never said identical.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:43 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanc View Post
That might be true but it also doesn't matter much, the real question to ask is who has nicer suburbs? Hands down, I would pick Chicago. I've only been in the Chicago burbs a handful of times but there are so many areas that are beautiful towns in their own right with distinct homes, well manicured landscapes and nice main streets. They are low density because they are filled with larger homes/lots which is how people like to live in the burbs. Toronto's burbs likely have higher density because of all the apartment buildings, many of which house immigrants, and cookie cutter homes that are jammed closer together with smaller lots. I have never and will never live in the burbs of any city but isn't space the whole point of living in the boonies? Outside of Oakville, I hate to say it but Toronto's suburbs seem very generic and not aesthetically pleasing. The are also extremely boring compared to the more exciting Toronto city core.
This is a good observation. If Oakville stands out as by far the most attractive Toronto suburb (and I largely agree with you on this), then most large American cities east of the Mississippi have multiple Oakville-type suburbs in their metro areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto