Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 12:11 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
BC is metro Vancouver. The rest of the province is sparsely populated. The tastes and mores of Vancouver are very much in line with California granola vegan tastes.
Metro Vancouver has slightly less than half the population of the rest of the province.

Sparsely populated, overall, but with concentrations of cities and towns. Saying BC is Metro Vancouver is something no one living here would say.

As for granola vegan tastes, perhaps when those things were particularly " west coast ", but less so today.

I'd say areas outside of Vancouver are more so. Places like Nelson, the Gulf Islands, and other pockets of people who want to live away from it all.

I'm not saying that the cliche of a so called California vibe doesn't exist in Vancouver though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2018, 12:26 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I had never heard of Popeyes and can't seem to find any locations in BC at all. Wonder why? Are they planning any?
Popeye's seems to have a half dozen or so locations across the river in Ottawa and suburbs. I've never tried it and initially thought we were talking about a vitamin supplement place. That we have here in Gatineau.

Old 07-31-2018, 12:26 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,727,708 times
Default ....

Quote:
I think there will be some protests. Not people out in the street, but people making others aware of the history of the chain and whether or not they want their money spent there.

I personally wouldn't. I try and spend my money as best as I can in ways that go along with my belief system. You can't always do that, or know every connection to every business, but you can at least try.

As for another chicken place..risky I'd say. There are enough places, chains and non-chains that serve every kind of chicken, etc.

Explain please

Regarding protest... well it could happen to any place. There are people that regularly protest at a McDonalds not to far from where I work related to animal cruelty/ go vegan stuff. I make SURE not to walk around there when I am wearing by fur coat in the winter lol. I can only be imagine being chased the street scream .... BUT it is vintage ... so that is saving the planet!!!!

Old 07-31-2018, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Popeye's seems to have a half dozen or so locations across the river in Ottawa and suburbs. I've never tried it and initially thought we were talking about a vitamin supplement place. That we have here in Gatineau.
Same here, the only Popeye's is a vitamin store chain.

Old 07-31-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Explain please

Regarding protest... well it could happen to any place. There are people that regularly protest at a McDonalds not to far from where I work related to animal cruelty/ go vegan stuff. I make SURE not to walk around there when I am wearing by fur coat in the winter lol. I can only be imagine being chased the street scream .... BUT it is vintage ... so that is saving the planet!!!!
People making their voices heard through social media, and MSM. Maybe one or two people with signs outside of the future location...hard to say. Get a famous person to be your spokesperson has worked.

Protests at fast food joints isn't new, and sometimes do have an effect. Pamela Anderson and KFC. She got them to change how they treat and kill the birds....at least in Canada.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/pamela-anderso...store-1.313451

https://www.cbc.ca/news/feathers-set...attle-1.769518

Old 07-31-2018, 12:56 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,893,961 times
Quote:
I had never heard of Popeyes and can't seem to find any locations in BC at all. Wonder why? Are they planning any?
This is the nearest Popeyes to BC, in WA state:

https://www.google.com/maps/search/p....291887,11.08z

Old 07-31-2018, 12:59 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,893,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Try it, it has yummy French Cajun food like red beans and rice and jambalaya as sides with spicy fried chicken as the main dish.

I see they haven't expanded into Quebec yet. Popeye's expands by Province in Canada. For instance, the last expansion was Alberta and Saskatchewan. I believe Manitoba is next (specifically Winnipeg).

I would think that they would do well there in Quebec as Cajuns have a lot of the French Canadian blood and probably similar food preferences. However, the Acadians that became Cajuns came from Nova Scotia not Quebec so maybe I'm wrong.

Since Popeye's is a primarily Southern US company, it has taken a while to expand into Canada.

Here are the ones near you:
https://www.google.com/maps/search/p....6947401,12.3z

Last edited by cBach; 07-31-2018 at 01:14 PM..

Old 07-31-2018, 01:06 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Try it, it has yummy French Cajun food like red beans and rice and jambalaya as sides with spicy fried chicken as the main dish.

I see they haven't expanded into Quebec yet. I would think that they would do well there as Cajuns have a lot of the French Canadian blood and probably similar food preferences. However, the Acadians that became Cajuns came from Nova Scotia not Quebec so maybe I'm wrong.

Since Popeye's is a primarily Southern US company, it has taken a while to expand into Canada.
Cajun food isn't unpopular in Quebec but it's seen as somewhat exotic. Mexican food is actually way more mainstream here.

Though I guess we do have boudin in common. Not sure if it's the same as in Louisiana but every single grocery store's meat section has it here.

Old 07-31-2018, 07:38 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,522,023 times
Quote:

I see they haven't expanded into Quebec yet. Popeye's expands by Province in Canada. For instance, the last expansion was Alberta and Saskatchewan. I believe Manitoba is next (specifically Winnipeg).

I would think that they would do well there in Quebec as Cajuns have a lot of the French Canadian blood and probably similar food preferences. However, the Acadians that became Cajuns came from Nova Scotia not Quebec so maybe I'm wrong.

Here are the ones near you:
https://www.google.com/maps/search/p....6947401,12.3z
What type of neighborhoods does Popeyes open locations in Canada. Here in the southeast. I have never seen one that was not in a rough neighborhood. I'm even more surprised Popeyes is in Canada, than Chick fill A. I would never have guessed Popeyes, would find a market in Saskatchewan.

Old 08-01-2018, 01:39 AM

923 posts, read 665,822 times
Quote:
True, but it's still a large market where they have more locations in certain US markets than others.

48 locations in Atlanta, but only 5 in NYC. 5 in LA etc, which are both larger cities than Atlanta.

Toronto is an unknown, but it's more like NYC than Atlanta. It may go the way of Krispy Kreme, huge intentions, but so far not any real presence in Canada.

As for Walmart, I have only stepped into one while in the US years ago.
Popeyes is headquartered in Atlanta just like CFA.. So it makes sense there would be more of them in Atlanta than NYC.
Popeyes only recently in the last several years started expanding in other markets outside of its region.

Krispy Kreme expanded much too quickly.CFA is known to be a very well organized company that really researches market conditions years before they actually make a move
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto