Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 04:31 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,146,091 times

Advertisements

You are the only one who get a parking ticket while others don't because only your license plate shows out-of-state!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2018, 05:01 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,729,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
My experience suggests that kids under the age of 8 just don’t travel well. They have short attention spans, get restless, squirm, and act out. And that holds even for things like short bus rides and commuter rail trips, never mind long haul train and bus and flying trips. You don’t do them or your fellow travelers any favors by having them travel this way.

Just drive when you take them, so they can be occupied and belted in and well fed — and nobody else has to suffer their behavior. Or leave them home with a sitter.
I think this varies based on what the child has been exposed to already. By the time my kids were 8, they were pretty seasoned travelers, having flown a couple times per year their whole lives and even having managed their first international flight by then. Their first flights took place when they were babies, and their first intercontinental flight was when they were 6 and 4. That long flight back to the USA was a bit dicey with the 4-year-old, who got sick of being on the plane about six hours into an 8-hour flight, but both did perfectly fine on the way to Germany and my 6-year-old was a peach on the way back. I have seen 3-5 year old kids misbehaving on short flights, but I assume it's probably only their first or second flight or they might have a cold or something, which makes flying miserable.

I personally think that you ARE doing your kids a favor by traveling often and early, because it sets them up with the "travel bug." My son turns 18 next month and has three international trips planned within the first few months of being an adult. He's going to Mexico, Australia, and Germany. He recently took a trip to Virginia, both kids are in California right now visiting their grandparents, and my son is going to Texas with friends the weekend after his birthday. I love it that he is so interested in traveling and I think it is because we took them all over the place when they were little. (My daughter is a few years younger and isn't a huge fan of flying after having a couple of experience with hurting ears, so I don't know if she will be as adventurous in that way.)

Old 12-17-2018, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Bern's Steak House is a great place for wine lovers but the food is extremely overrated. You will always find Bern's listed as a top wine list restaurant but you will never find Bern's on any list of top places for its food. This is why it's always winning awards for its wine list but never for its food.

If you can find great Thai, Japanese, Mexican, African, Indian, New American, Farm to Table, cuisine etc. in Tampa/St. Pete, your standards are way WAY too low. I don't live in Tampa for the restaurants. I live here for the winters and the cheaper housing (and other) costs. But a "foodie paradise" it most certainly is not. People here love chain restaurant food, and most independent restaurants go out of business quickly.

The last time I went to a new, highly-rated-on-Yelp, "Austin-style" taco joint in Tampa, they were dunking the tortillas in water and putting Old Bay seasoning on them (which of course were from a bag).

That should explain everything about the Tampa/St. Pete food scene right there.
Try the Wat Temple on Sunday mornings for authentic Thai: Sunday Market - WatTampaInEnglish

We host exchange students and our Thai student confirmed that it is real Thai food.

But yes, I agree that the food in Southwest Florida generally sucks and does not even begin to compare to what you can find in other parts of the country (I'm from New England).

Old 12-17-2018, 10:30 AM

1,584 posts, read 982,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
But yes, I agree that the food in Southwest Florida generally sucks and does not even begin to compare to what you can find in other parts of the country (I'm from New England).

True enough in my experience, though I did have an excellent experience the one time I went to Bern's Steak House. I'm not a wine drinker, either. Maybe it was a lucky fluke or something.

Old 12-17-2018, 03:36 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,090,907 times
getting in and out of airports, sucks.

Old 12-17-2018, 04:00 PM

1,584 posts, read 982,461 times
Quote:
I think this varies based on what the child has been exposed to already. By the time my kids were 8, they were pretty seasoned travelers, having flown a couple times per year their whole lives and even having managed their first international flight by then. Their first flights took place when they were babies, and their first intercontinental flight was when they were 6 and 4. That long flight back to the USA was a bit dicey with the 4-year-old, who got sick of being on the plane about six hours into an 8-hour flight, but both did perfectly fine on the way to Germany and my 6-year-old was a peach on the way back. I have seen 3-5 year old kids misbehaving on short flights, but I assume it's probably only their first or second flight or they might have a cold or something, which makes flying miserable.

I personally think that you ARE doing your kids a favor by traveling often and early, because it sets them up with the "travel bug." My son turns 18 next month and has three international trips planned within the first few months of being an adult. He's going to Mexico, Australia, and Germany. He recently took a trip to Virginia, both kids are in California right now visiting their grandparents, and my son is going to Texas with friends the weekend after his birthday. I love it that he is so interested in traveling and I think it is because we took them all over the place when they were little. (My daughter is a few years younger and isn't a huge fan of flying after having a couple of experience with hurting ears, so I don't know if she will be as adventurous in that way.)
Good for you! I have nothing against kids who are well behaved when they travel, actually. It’s just that my experience too often has been otherwise. If all kids were like that, I’d have no issue at all.

Old 12-17-2018, 06:02 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,580,425 times
Quote:
We host exchange students and our Thai student confirmed that it is real Thai food.
That sounds great! Often in Thai restaurants in USA the flavor is pretty similar to Thailand (there is no "right way" to make a curry everyone has their grandma's) but the meat/veggies are different. Like it'll taste like good green chicken curry but the chicken is dry white breast meat and instead of Thai eggplants they have crap like carrots and broccoli, or the tom yum will have shelled headless shrimp and button mushrooms.

Old 12-17-2018, 06:24 PM

102 posts, read 78,943 times
Wheelie bags are the fastest path to looking like an idiot.

I'm yet to see someone pull it the whole way down an airplane aisle without smacking one chair.

Don't even get me started on people running through and airport with one.

Old 12-18-2018, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaa555www View Post
Wheelie bags are the fastest path to looking like an idiot.

I'm yet to see someone pull it the whole way down an airplane aisle without smacking one chair.

Don't even get me started on people running through and airport with one.
Do people try to pull a wheelie down an airplane aisle? LOL! I always carry mine when I'm actually on the plane. I think most people do? I will have to pay attention next time I fly! I actually prefer to travel with a backpack, but since I don't check luggage if there's any way around it, I sometimes take a wheelie because it holds more and doesn't give me a backache if it's heavy. I went to London for a week in the winter with just a backpack, but my back wasn't too happy about it. Very convenient on the Tube, though!

Old 12-18-2018, 01:46 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,985,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
getting in and out of airports, sucks.
That very much depends on the airport and the city. Airports that are operating at less than full capacity can be pretty easy experiences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel