Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 10:59 PM

29 posts, read 16,852 times

Advertisements

People will stare but we shouldn't have to be bothered. they'll not attack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2019, 10:03 AM

2,622 posts, read 3,151,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
lol
We found Cebu a fascinating city of many contrasts. We stayed at the Cebu Midtown. It was part of a really nice shopping mall, 3 story. Yet there were people begging on the streets and prostitutes all around. I was approached several times by hookers and once by a pimp. I was on the corner with my wife and daughter when he came up. I thought he was offering a cab but he whispered in my ear, "want pretty girl?".

Old 02-09-2019, 09:16 PM

16,394 posts, read 30,296,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
We found Cebu a fascinating city of many contrasts. We stayed at the Cebu Midtown. It was part of a really nice shopping mall, 3 story. Yet there were people begging on the streets and prostitutes all around. I was approached several times by hookers and once by a pimp. I was on the corner with my wife and daughter when he came up. I thought he was offering a cab but he whispered in my ear, "want pretty girl?".

If anyone looks at the tens of thousands of YouTube videos on the Philippines and Thailand, there are literally thousands of videos documenting the sex trade in those countries. Most of them are "PG-13" or "R-rated" but they pretty much document the various red light districts that are present in most of the large cities. In addition, they also document the level of poverty that is present both in the large cities as well as the provinces.

I have to admit, however, that I was approached more often by prostitutes in Toronto and Montreal than I was in Manila.

Old 02-11-2019, 09:44 PM

158 posts, read 139,116 times
If you go off the beaten path and go somewhere that doesn't get many foreign tourists, you can expect to get a lot of attention from curious locals. People may stare and may even want to talk to you and take pictures with you!

Here's a video of two black Americans taking a walk in a third tier Chinese city.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3M79T90BA04

Old 02-11-2019, 10:13 PM

63 posts, read 38,913 times
Harassment and attacks? I've experienced very little of either in Europe, the Himalayan countries, Southeast Asia, and Pacific and Latin American countries. I did encounter frequent verbal and sometimes physical harassment (touching, grabbing, stone throwing, knife and rape threats) in North Africa, the Middle East, and Central Asia -- but, having said that, the most overt hospitality and helpfulness I enjoyed was in these same countries.

Use common sense precautions, stay alert, be especially careful at night or in lonely places, and try to avoid groups of idle young men.

Old 02-11-2019, 11:52 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,582,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhubaba View Post
Here's a video of two black Americans taking a walk in a third tier Chinese city.
It's pretty common, we've taken tons of selfies with locals in China or had them trying to put us in their selfie without us knowing it.

It doesn't even have to be in a smaller city, lots of folks from rural towns come to bigger cities on tourist trips so many times at tourist attractions you get to pose in pictures with a bunch of school kids all wearing same color shirts since they don't get westerners out where they live. They are especially excited about black people, blondes, and women with tattoos.

Old 07-20-2019, 09:46 PM

2,622 posts, read 3,151,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
If anyone looks at the tens of thousands of YouTube videos on the Philippines and Thailand, there are literally thousands of videos documenting the sex trade in those countries. Most of them are "PG-13" or "R-rated" but they pretty much document the various red light districts that are present in most of the large cities. In addition, they also document the level of poverty that is present both in the large cities as well as the provinces.

I have to admit, however, that I was approached more often by prostitutes in Toronto and Montreal than I was in Manila.
I think the "sex tourism" business has been big sometimes in the Philippines. Poverty drives a lot of it and there are thugs there that exploit it for all they can get.

Old 07-20-2019, 10:16 PM

23,552 posts, read 24,057,818 times
I’ve visited Thailand, Mexico and the Dominican Republic and other than touts soliciting taxi fares, prostitutes and locals selling items, I’ve never been harassed. I’m a low key traveler, generally, and blend in.

Old 07-21-2019, 12:38 AM

115 posts, read 60,311 times
Interesting thread. I love how some people include European countries. And I wouldn't classify Thailand as 3rd world.

I lived in Uganda for 2 years. As a white person I got stared at and often asked for money, but never hassled. I felt very safe, safer than when I visit the US - no mass shootings in Uganda. Kids in areas where many touriss go will yell 'mzungu, give me money'. But they are asking, not demanding. I lived in the southwest. I would not walk through Kampala late at night, but oherwise safe.

The safais in national parks are amazing.

Old 07-21-2019, 01:32 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,582,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandGranny View Post
And I wouldn't classify Thailand as 3rd world
It fits for both the old geopolitical classification and the more commonly used yardstick of being a developing country, why wouldn't it be classified as 3rd world?

Sure they've got a subway in Bangkok now, but they've also still got women wearing gold rings around their giraffe necks up in the hills, many roads where 90% of the passing vehicles are scooters with at least two people on them, and rivers/fields crammed with trash due to lack of proper sanitation infrastructure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel