Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 04:14 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,717,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
I would never waste my money or vacation time visiting a place LESS nice than the area I live in. Why do we continue to be fascinated by the 3rd world, as much as they are fascinated by the 1st world?
3rd world countries are cheaper.

Prostitutes and easy women are more plentiful.

Look at all these old white men in Thailand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2019, 04:58 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,582,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
Its true. Earlier I used to think all foreign visitors were rich. Now I know the truth after spending time in both worlds. Unless you are staying in those $300+ a night hotels, you are not rich. And also rich people dont spend time exploring 3rd world.
As someone else pointed out, rich is relative. A middle class American who spends $900 on a flight to to a 3rd world country to go stay in $100/night hotels is wealthy to locals who are earning $3/hour. They aren't flying thousands of miles anywhere on vacation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
The scariest country I have been in was Honduras but it had little to do with poverty. There are (or were) lots and lots of guns in the country from America's proxy war with El Salvador. It was downright unsafe to walk the streets at night in most towns. We did, not knowing, and were told by locals not to do that but to take a taxi everywhere. Caracas was almost as scary.
That's same throughout much of Latin America, and yeah poverty does have a lot to do with it. Lots of gangs + not much opportunity = insecurity.

Old 02-04-2019, 05:15 PM

938 posts, read 446,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
3rd world countries are cheaper.

Look at all these old white men in Thailand.
I know a lot of black guys who go to Brazil for the same reason.

Old 02-04-2019, 05:16 PM

Quote:
I would never waste my money or vacation time visiting a place LESS nice than the area I live in. Why do we continue to be fascinated by the 3rd world, as much as they are fascinated by the 1st world?
1. There are lots of cool things to see happen to be located in third world countries. Sure there are also things in 1st world countries too but until they decide to move Angkor Wat, Petra, Victoria Falls, Tikal, Giza Pyramids, The Great Wall, Taj Mahal, Terracota Warriors, etc. to Cleveland you're missing out on lots of fascinating stuff by limiting yourself. I've literally seen tourists crying when the sun came up and mist cleared for their first view of Machu Picchu, who's to tell them they wasted their time because it's in a 3rd world country.

2. Many people find one of the best parts of travel is encountering a different experiences and types of life and seeing different things that are considered normal. Sure this can also be done in 1st world countries but by shutting off most of the world the opportunities shrink considerably. Experiencing local food is in itself enough motivation for me to travel, and lots of the best food in the world is in 3rd world countries.

3. Experiencing nature, folks who are fascinating by different ecosystems and enjoy exploring natural environments different than their own often find themselves in 3rd world countries. From large areas like the Amazon rain forest, jungles of Borneo, Galapagos Islands to pursuing a specific things like bird watchers in Costa Rica, big game viewing in Africa, seeing Komodo Dragons in Indonesia, for some people the San Diego Zoo just doesn't cut it.

Old 02-04-2019, 05:17 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,719,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
My understanding is that in some third world countries one may encounter touts, pushy panhandlers, or self-appointed tour guides who approach you with varying degrees of eagerness hoping to solicit your business or money.

Doesn’t seem like a deal-breaker to me, though. You know how to ignore strangers who try to get your attention or say “no,†presumably?

And being attacked seems incredibly unlikely.

I wouldn’t worry about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I agree with this statement although one can also hassled by the same type of individuals in big cities in the USA. So if one can handle it domestically, one should be able to handle it when traveling elsewhere as well.
True. Walk down the Las Vegas strip sometime.

Old 02-04-2019, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
What percentage of intl tourists who arrive in 3rd would countries would you guess are there for the prostitutes and easy women? I submit it is a very tiny fraction.

Old 02-04-2019, 05:50 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,719,218 times
We recently took a cruise to Mexico. In one of the towns I was approached by a man who offer cheap tequila and young women. I told him I didin't drink that early in the day and I didn't want to die from a heart attack.

He left me alone.

Old 02-04-2019, 06:04 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,214,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Tony View Post
I live in one of largest poor cities in America, close to many ghettos, and I've never had a child ask me for money or food.
In the US poor neighborhoods, I mostly get asked for cigarettes, followed by bus fare.

Old 02-04-2019, 06:18 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,439,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
In the US poor neighborhoods, I mostly get asked for cigarettes, followed by bus fare.
Do you think squandering their window of opportunity to ask for help on a vice, and not a need, is a factor in why they are in such a predicament in the first place?

Old 02-04-2019, 06:56 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,515,458 times
Quote:
Do you think squandering their window of opportunity to ask for help on a vice, and not a need, is a factor in why they are in such a predicament in the first place?
That's a discussion for a different thread and don't forget there is extreme poverty in many parts of the US. It's not just big cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel