Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 07:05 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,515,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by curious question View Post
I have traveled to most of the popular 1st world countries in Europe and Asia. They were nice but I want to expand my horizons and see the 3rd World. I want to see exotic and economically struggling countries where life is completely different than here in America.

My question is this: If I walk up and down the streets of third world countries will I be hassled, bothered or even attacked? Will people stare at me and make getting around difficult? Tell us your experiences traveling in third world countries.
I was pestered all over Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2019, 07:16 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,593,446 times
I've walked all over Kampala, Uganda and never felt unsafe. I wouldn't dare do that in NYC or Chicago or LA.

Old 02-03-2019, 07:46 PM

801 posts, read 453,517 times
I have traveled in three 3rd world countries, 2 extensively (more than 10 trips each).
Here's the key:
Dress down.
NEVER look like a rich American. The poorer you look the better. Dress like the locals. Clean clothes but plain, old clothes. Jeans, plaid shirts, old comfy shoes.

You'll be asked for money just like you no doubt are too in the USA. Just say "no I don't have any" and smile politely.
In places like Mexico City little hungry looking kids will follow you and beg you.
My advice is still to say no if you can handle it. If there are 3 following you and you give, soon there will be 8... If you are going to give, be prepared to deal with the onslaught.

What I do is give to the quiet old people who are sitting on the street, too tired or old or weak or resigned, to even ask or be aggressive. Those I give to, especially old women. But sure, sometimes the little kids too; you just gotta pick and choose and sometimes it is best to say no.

Now if you really feel the need to go to a "nice" place to eat or such, okay dress up a little (not too much!) and take an "OFFICIAL" taxi (the hotel should know) directly from your hotel to the restaurant and directly back.

Personally I think one can even dress down when going to "nice" restaurants and there is no reason to go to super fancy rich people restaurants. But if that's your thing, fine, do it but carefully.

In general, if you try to learn at least a few words in their language and look at and treat people with respect, and don't go walking around the worst areas (especially at night) you'll be fine traveling in most 3rd world countries, at least the ones I know south of the USA.

Again, the key is don't be ostentatious, try not to sticl out like a sore thumb, and dress down.
Carry only the money you need, and put it under your waist (there are travel pouches made for this), and never wear any jewelry (is there really a reason to?), and don't flash what money you do carry, anywhere.

Be low key. Blend in as much as you can. Be nice and respectful.
You'll have a great time!

Old 02-03-2019, 11:18 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,582,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingvanmorrison View Post
Dress down.
NEVER look like a rich American. The poorer you look the better. Dress like the locals. Clean clothes but plain, old clothes. Jeans, plaid shirts, old comfy shoes.
You aren't fooling anyone.

Old 02-04-2019, 12:28 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,214,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
You aren't fooling anyone.
My social security income is about the PPP of Peru or Sri Lanka or Indonesia. Who do you think I am trying to fool?

Old 02-04-2019, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Who do you think I am trying to fool?
This might surprise you but I have zero interest in what your motivations are fool anyone, was replying to someone else who's post indicated efforts to look local and hide wealth while on vacation.

Old 02-04-2019, 02:00 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,214,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
This might surprise you but I have zero interest in what your motivations are fool anyone, was replying to someone else who's post indicated efforts to look local and hide wealth while on vacation.
So you have personal knowledge of that poster's hidden wealth, but no interest in mine.

I suspect a lot of young hostelers and backpackers have less income than the PPP of the countries they travel in.,

Old 02-04-2019, 02:15 AM

Quote:
So you have personal knowledge of that poster's hidden wealth, but no interest in mine.
I have a good idea from the context of their post that they are an American who likely has a lot more money that most people they encounter in third world countries. You are definitely correct on the latter part, not much interest in the latest cebuan humble-brag demand for attention.

Quote:
I suspect a lot of young hostelers and backpackers have less income than the PPP of the countries they travel in.,
That's great, we appreciate your analysis of backpackers.

Old 02-04-2019, 05:25 AM

938 posts, read 446,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
Beggars, panhandlers and children, of course it happens. Some of the best are right here in the USA!
I live in one of largest poor cities in America, close to many ghettos, and I've never had a child ask me for money or food.

Old 02-04-2019, 06:56 AM

7,891 posts, read 11,417,653 times
I experienced it in France. They are not found of Americans there in my experience. I was in a group from a cruise ship so sure they can tell who we were but they shouted things about is in French not realizing a few spoke French, same in Paris for no reason at the train station when we arrived.

I have been hounded by local seeking income and a tip from me in a few countries like Costa Rica at the old airport.

But that is about making money and they need it and it is understand and does not make me uncomfortable and to not want to go back. It was limited and no big deal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel