Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2022, 02:17 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,376,630 times

Advertisements

I'm a retiree from the US currently living in Germany. One of the reasons I'm living in Germany is that it makes a good home base to visit other places in Europe, most of which I have never visited. Covid wiped out a lot of my travel plans within Europe in 2020 & 2021, but for the next year or so I am going to be pretty busy taking trips to a lot of places. I will do all of these trips outside the busy summer travel season (June-August).

Next week I'm going to take Flixbus to southern Poland to visit Wroclaw and Krakow. Flixbus stops here in Chemnitz and goes direct to both of those cities (due east of here on autobahn A4) with just a few stops along the way. Price is about 25 Euro each way. It is about 5 hours to Wroclaw, where I'll spend one night, then the next day I'll go to Krakow and stay a few days.

In late November and early December I'm going to sign up for a bunch of day trips from a local travel bureau on a charter bus that goes to Christmas markets. Each day trip costs less than 25 Euro. The cities in Germany that I'll visit Christmas markets as day trips will be Bayreuth, Berlin, Quedlinburg, Bamberg, Regensberg and Goerlitz.

That's all I have planned firm for now - I generally don't make plans too far in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2022, 04:28 AM

232 posts, read 143,718 times
We are going to Spain and Portugal in early December. Just came back from a month long trip to SE Asia last night.

I really want to visit Israel next year or soon, which will be included in a European trip. We go to Europe at least once in a year.

Old 11-01-2022, 04:35 AM

232 posts, read 143,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
I'm a retiree from the US currently living in Germany. One of the reasons I'm living in Germany is that it makes a good home base to visit other places in Europe, most of which I have never visited. Covid wiped out a lot of my travel plans within Europe in 2020 & 2021, but for the next year or so I am going to be pretty busy taking trips to a lot of places. I will do all of these trips outside the busy summer travel season (June-August).

Next week I'm going to take Flixbus to southern Poland to visit Wroclaw and Krakow. Flixbus stops here in Chemnitz and goes direct to both of those cities (due east of here on autobahn A4) with just a few stops along the way. Price is about 25 Euro each way. It is about 5 hours to Wroclaw, where I'll spend one night, then the next day I'll go to Krakow and stay a few days.

In late November and early December I'm going to sign up for a bunch of day trips from a local travel bureau on a charter bus that goes to Christmas markets. Each day trip costs less than 25 Euro. The cities in Germany that I'll visit Christmas markets as day trips will be Bayreuth, Berlin, Quedlinburg, Bamberg, Regensberg and Goerlitz.

That's all I have planned firm for now - I generally don't make plans too far in advance.
I like Flixbus. They are better than trains in many cases if the trip is not too long. Last time I took Flixbus from Berlin to Amsterdam, I forgot how many hours it took, probably 8 hours. Interestingly, I was planning to take a Flixbus from Berlin to Wroclaw, but a bad thing happened to a relative in a different place which made me very sad that day and did not go.

Old 11-01-2022, 05:28 AM

3,262 posts, read 5,003,187 times
I just came back from 10 days in Tuscany (hotter and more crowded than I would have liked). In May I'm going to Scotland for 10 days. My daughter and I are talking about taking a trip to Amsterdam, but haven't decided on when we might do that.

Old 11-01-2022, 05:42 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,182 posts, read 13,469,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingaway View Post
I like Flixbus. They are better than trains in many cases if the trip is not too long. Last time I took Flixbus from Berlin to Amsterdam, I forgot how many hours it took, probably 8 hours. Interestingly, I was planning to take a Flixbus from Berlin to Wroclaw, but a bad thing happened to a relative in a different place which made me very sad that day and did not go.

There are an array of budget travel options, and they include budget airlines, trains and coaches.

The best advice in terms of Europe is to look at options in relation to passes and special offers, as well as planning and booking as far ahead as possible.

In terms of the UK easyjet and ryanair are the most well known budget airlines in terms of internal European destinations , whilst in terms of buses, you have National Express, Megabus and Flixbus, whilst in terms of trains open access cheap operators include Lumo, Grand Central and Eurostar, although other companies will also offer discounts if you book well ahead.

There are also cross channel and overnight ferries (with sleeping cabins), which also have special offers and are cheaper if you book ahead, as for sleeper trains Nightjet offer some good services across parts of Europe, and again they sometimes offer special offers and again it's sensible to book as well in advance as possible.

Last edited by Brave New World; 11-01-2022 at 06:07 AM..

Old 11-01-2022, 05:52 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,603,829 times
I have a step daughter in Gernanny with a car, and we talked of a circle drive to fill the holes in my bucket -- Estonia, Czech, Albani,a San Marino, Vatican, Monaco. But that fell by the wayside. I've been to Czechoslovakia several times, but only to Slovak portions.

Old 11-01-2022, 06:37 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
We were just in London and Galicia Spain a month ago. I’m looking at flights for the next trip.

Old 11-01-2022, 12:17 PM

7,118 posts, read 4,540,768 times
Recycled, you are going to love krakow. It has a beautiful old town square with shops, restaurant and a old church. If it’s warm out the restaurants set up tables outside. Horse drawn carriages go by and musicians come by your table to play. Poland is really cheap because they aren’t on the euro. My Dil is from Poland so I have been there twice. It’s as green as Ireland. I am loving hearing about everyone’s adventures!!

Old 11-01-2022, 04:26 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,174,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post

Nice! I just returned from Poland Saturday, it is my favorite place to visit. Wroclaw and Krakow are both fantastic.

Old 11-01-2022, 04:30 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,174,845 times
We actually just returned Saturday from a 15 day trip, starting in London for 5 nights, then flying to Lodz Poland to check out the town and attend a concert. We then took the train to Poznan to meet up with some friends from the Netherlands for three nights, and then all 4 of us took the train to Gdansk and stayed 4 nights, and then flew back on Saturday.

Great time, Poland is my favorite country to visit and this makes the 6th time I've been there, I think the first time was 2018. The weather was nearly perfect for the entire two weeks, save some rain on our travel days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel