Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2008, 04:35 PM

602 posts, read 2,064,858 times

Advertisements

Well, fwiw, here are Arizona (not specifically Tucson) crimes stats since 1960. I guess, mystery solved. Dang, ain't this internet a wonderful thing.

Arizona Crime Rates 1960 - 2006

Anyway, Grrrr, still hate to see all the graffiti (a real peeve of mine).

Old 08-12-2008, 05:37 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,982,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azhiker View Post
And additionally, as pertains to Tucson, I'd like to see crime rates of say, 1995 vs now. My guess is, that they are far worse now. I'll try to find some data later to present here.
One that you'll find striking in your research is the # of Tucson homicides this year.

It's already surpassed the avg and it's only August. And no, with a few exceptions this isn't a nationwide trend, certainly not to the degree Tucson is experiencing.

The oft told story of knowing where to live is especially important in this community.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:25 AM

522 posts, read 1,569,259 times
Quote:
One that you'll find striking in your research is the # of Tucson homicides this year.

It's already surpassed the avg and it's only August. And no, with a few exceptions this isn't a nationwide trend, certainly not to the degree Tucson is experiencing.
Maybe this is a nationwide trend? I just heard a report stating that the same is true for Chicago. (the city) Evidently homicides are up already more than the totals of any of the past 5 years.

I wonder what it is that drives things likt this. My wife thinks it is just the economy--gas prices, food, etc. I could maybe see a slight increase but this is more than a slight increase.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:46 AM

2,916 posts, read 8,351,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofIL View Post
Maybe this is a nationwide trend? I just heard a report stating that the same is true for Chicago. (the city) Evidently homicides are up already more than the totals of any of the past 5 years.

I wonder what it is that drives things likt this. My wife thinks it is just the economy--gas prices, food, etc. I could maybe see a slight increase but this is more than a slight increase.

No idea what the psychology is on homicides, but on another thread a lady said something about "women having hot flashes in 120 degree weather"...

...or something like that.

Last edited by ZonyPony; 08-14-2008 at 12:15 PM..

Old 08-15-2008, 01:18 PM

342 posts, read 1,831,685 times
I loved Tucson (and AZ in general).
As for "critters", just get in the habit of tap your shoes on the floor or step on them before you stick your foot in (I have a worse critter problem, spiders in this case, in the midwest because I live near the water). Seasons are more subtle, but they exist (spectacular lightening displays, summer monsoon season, flash floods, etc). You learn to appreciate the Christmas lights on saguaro cacti in the winter. Car theft is a common problem, so invest in some sort of deterrent (even a wheel lock). As for homicides and violent crimes, I feel it's much worse in Indianapolis than Tucson. You see people driving with oven mitts in the summer as practical, not comical. Make it a habit to carry water with you everywhere, and sip water throughout the day before you even feel thirst. You can swim half the year (you'll be cleaning pools instead of mowing lawns, if you own one). Diverse population and mix of ethnicities (anglo, hispanic/latin, asian, native american; not as many blacks), and various restaurants to match. Reasonable cost of living. Lots of opportunities for outdoor activities.

Tucson has the same problems inherent to all cities its size or larger, but it's a very livable city. For those who are considering moving, check Southwest airlines to see if they have any good fares for Tucson and spend a weekend there. Seeing it for yourself is the best way to see if it's a good fit for you.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:47 PM

2 more shot dead this weekend, one an innocent bystander in a car.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:23 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
2 more shot dead this weekend, one an innocent bystander in a car.
I wonder why his car was chosen... Or are you going to tell me it's a random shooting?

A 19-year-old Tucson man was killed early Sunday morning after a man walked out of a Circle K store on the Southwest Side and shot at the car he was sitting in, police said.

www.azstarnet.com ® |

Old 08-18-2008, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I wonder why his car was chosen... Or are you going to tell me it's a random shooting?

A 19-year-old Tucson man was killed early Sunday morning after a man walked out of a Circle K store on the Southwest Side and shot at the car he was sitting in, police said.

www.azstarnet.com ® |
No, I won't tell you it was random, the POLICE will.

'A 19-year-old Tucson man is dead after what police described as a random shooting in the parking lot of a Circle K on the southwest side.'

Tucson man dead after being mistakenly shot by store customer | www.azstarnet.com ® (http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/related/253213 - broken link)

Old 08-18-2008, 02:52 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
No, I won't tell you it was random, the POLICE will.

'A 19-year-old Tucson man is dead after what police described as a random shooting in the parking lot of a Circle K on the southwest side.'

Tucson man dead after being mistakenly shot by store customer | www.azstarnet.com ® (http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/related/253213 - broken link)
You're correct - the article does claim so. I still highly doubt it, though.

Old 08-18-2008, 03:04 PM

162 posts, read 229,711 times
Default Ken has a good point

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
SickofIL -

You've touched upon one of my pet peeves - the fact that so many folks feel unsafe all the time so needlessly. It's no surprise that most Americans think crime is soaring in America when it fact compared to historical levels crime is very low (though the prison population is admittedly VERY high) - certainly much lower than it was 10, 20 or 30 years ago.

The reason so many folks think otherwise is really the fault of the media - who continue to sensationalize crime at every turn. I mean, think about it - a girl is kidnapped in Florida and it makes the NATIONAL news - when in all honesty if you live on the West Coast (or New England or the Midwest or the Middle Atlantic States etc) what the heck does that have to do with YOU? Why is that even national news? It's no relevance whatsoever to the vast majority of national viewers and yet by airing it nationally it makes folks feel threatened that the purp could be in their very neighborhood - even if they live 3,000 miles away. Local news is no better, and every evenings' newcast seems to start off a some story of a shooting, rape or murder giving the impression that crime is everywhere all the time - when in fact crime rates in most American cities are pretty low.

The media has instilled needless fear into everyone - and it's sooooooooo stupid.

Think of what's happened to Holloween. Everyone is afraid of razor blades in the candy etc so the holiday has been nearly destroyed - when in fact the risk is TINY. Folks have FAR more reason to be concerned about their kids being hit by a car than of them eated tainted candy. There is certainly a risk of it, but the fear of it FAR outweighs the reality.

I just find the whole thing to be pathetic. The media has turned America into a nation of cowards.

Ken
I agree. Too much sensationalism in the media. I feel bad for some horrible murder in Timbuktu but why report it here? I like to read about positive things, not all the nasty junk which is generally confined to people and areas where you might expect it. My view on the world is generally upbeat but then I live in a small town in the Blue Ridge mountains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson