Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2012, 08:12 AM

4,264 posts, read 6,206,109 times

Advertisements

I was annoyed in the beginning thinking that it was just Jamie. I couldn't understand why they dragged the series out for two seasons just for that. Terri being the killer redeemed things for me. Even if she did not know it was Rosie in the trunk, that was so cold, pushing the car in the lake with a woman in the trunk. The scene where the family watched Rosie's video made me tear up. Richmond turning out to be a crooked politician once elected was disappointing. I felt bad for Gwynn being shut out of that meeting after everything she did for him. Linden walking off in the end makes me think that the series is over. I enjoyed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 08:27 AM

1,815 posts, read 3,177,557 times
When did Linden get her job back? I must have missed that part.

I also guessed Terri as the killer a couple pages back. The actress's breakdown was well acted but if we are to believe that she murdered someone (let alone her beloved niece) she hasn't shown much of a guilty conscience, indeed I think she would have to be a sociopath, but her character certainly hasn't been painted that way at all. I don't know why these brilliant detectives spent so little time checking her out from the getgo, but they had 2 seasons to fill with red herrings and dead ends, so that would have been too logical.

Jamie's confession was one of the most cliched things I've heard in awhile.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:10 AM

43,851 posts, read 51,462,798 times
Because of this thread, I watched the first season on Netflix last weekend, then watched the second season through out the week (some free....some paid for on Amazon)....so I could watch the finale last night with everyone else.

The ending was fine....but it could've been presented in an edgier way. All in all, I really enjoyed watching both seasons. It had a different feel and was more out of the box than most crime dramas. It also RAINED most of the time. Not real good advertisement for Seattle.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:29 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,305,477 times
I watched Season 1 on dvd, and I enjoyed it very much - minus not actually finding out who the killer was then.

Season 2 seemed so unneccesary. And the ending was anticlimatic. Not worth dragging this out over 2 seasons.

The scenes with Rosie at the beginning of last night's ep should have been in the pilot. We never knew Rosie, and I would have loved to have seen her interact with her parents, Sterling, Bennett, etc. Everyone thought Rosie was special...but why? Because she wanted to do something with her life? Most 17 year olds do.

That video (as touching as it was) made it seem like a last ditch effort to get us to care about Rosie. Too little, too late, IMO.

The political storyline bored me, so I really didn't care a whit about Jamie being the killer.

I guess Terri took such great care of the family out of guilt. How could you KILL your neice, and then look her brother and parents in the face everyday? I would have had a nervous breakdown.

So, Aimes knew all along Terri killed Rosie?

One good thing about last night's finale: Michelle's Forbes did a wonderful job with the reaction to finding out that Terri was the killer. The shock, disbelief, and pure grief for both her sister and her daughter were well played.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:35 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,432,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post
When did Linden get her job back? I must have missed that part.
Holden tossed her badge on the desk saying that the chief said she could have it back.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:40 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,432,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
The scenes with Rosie at the beginning of last night's ep should have been in the pilot. We never knew Rosie, and I would have loved to have seen her interact with her parents, Sterling, Bennett, etc. Everyone thought Rosie was special...but why? Because she wanted to do something with her life? Most 17 year olds do.

That video (as touching as it was) made it seem like a last ditch effort to get us to care about Rosie. Too little, too late, IMO.
Agreed. The scenes with the parents prior to her murder would have been best in the pilot. I never really cared about Rosie. It was only a puzzle for me and not a very good puzzle, not good like the Rubicon puzzle. I guess they didn't include it at the beginning because they were trying to portray an investigation from a detective's perspective. But that's a silly reason to exclude scenes with Rosie alive because they included the family storyline throughout the seasons, something the detectives never see either.

Old 06-18-2012, 12:17 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,225,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Agreed. The scenes with the parents prior to her murder would have been best in the pilot. I never really cared about Rosie. It was only a puzzle for me and not a very good puzzle, not good like the Rubicon puzzle. I guess they didn't include it at the beginning because they were trying to portray an investigation from a detective's perspective. But that's a silly reason to exclude scenes with Rosie alive because they included the family storyline throughout the seasons, something the detectives never see either.

That has always been an issue for me with this show, I understand wanting us to view it from the police perspective, in real investigations, it's true that the officers can't know the victim, but they would constantly be looking at pictures, videos, reading about her, and asking people about her life so in a sense they would get to know the victim much more than we did as viewers. They could have had people talking about her more and shown flashbacks during that, or used more home videos so we could get to know, and care about her. It was implied that she was an amazing girl that everyone loved, they could have shown us that without using typical flashbacks.

Old 06-18-2012, 12:43 PM

3,175 posts, read 3,669,228 times
Even though I went off the deep end and was out in left field most of the time, I LOVED IT, thought it was great!
So happy the Larson's got to see their Rosie telling them she loved them, that is something nobody will ever be able to take away from them.
Poor Linden with a grief of her own, so sad to see her all alone
Sure hope it comes back.
Homeland and The Killing were my favorites in the last year. Everybody keeps raving about Mad Men but it moved way down on my list this year.
The big question, what are we going to watch now???

Old 06-18-2012, 12:44 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,225,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I couldn't understand the ending either. It's difficult to make out what Linden and Holder are saying sometimes. I guess they are trying to make it a cliffhanger---will she stay a police officer, will she go back to her fiancee, etc. But that's a silly cliffhanger. There won't be another season if she stops investigating murders. Maybe it means there won't be another season, that it wasn't renewed.
The ending really bothered me, she's young, and an excellent detective, it makes no sense for her to give up her career. It seemed to me ending up on Rosie's case was a blessing in that it made her realize she needs to solve crimes, giving it up, getting married, and moving to a mellow town in NoCal was never going to work for her. A brilliant driven detective is not going to be happy as a homemaker, she could certainly get married, it would probably be great for her, but she would need to be in a city with crime, and with a man who doesn't expect her to change and be a housewife. There's nothing wrong with being a homemaker, many women are driven to do that, and it makes them happy, but for a woman who is driven to do something else, that's torture.

To watch her to just get up and walk away when she was called to a murder felt wrong. I don't want to harp on feminist issues, but it often seems like only men are allowed to be obsessed with their jobs, and they are often praised for it if they have an important job like homicide detective, but for a women, if she becomes obsessed, she's treated like a mental case who must have serious "issues." I'm not saying she doesn't have issues, but so do most male workaholics. Judging by the first episode when they gave her a retirement party, she was a well liked and respected detective, from what I understand it's not uncommon for detectives to have some cases that really get to them, and take over their lives for a time, it doesn't mean every case is like that, or that they should quit.

Last edited by detshen; 06-18-2012 at 12:54 PM..

Old 06-18-2012, 03:34 PM

3,175 posts, read 3,669,228 times
The ending was so sad for me because of Linden, at least the Larson's had each other but Linden ended up with nobody.
She always had Jack before, now she doesn't even have him and is all alone like she was as a child.
Remember when she talked to Jack in the car? He was busy with his friends and cut her short but she pretended to talk longer so Holder wouldn't know. How sad was that?
It seems she has hit a brick wall now because Jack has been shown what it's like to live with a family in a normal household and Linden doesn't know how to give him that but wants to more than anything in the world. So the absent father comes in at the last second and gets the prize while Linden walks away all alone. She can't even call him on the phone because it's hard to communicate when you're far away, if she remains a detective she might feel she will never get to be with him again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV