Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2013, 01:43 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,321,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDSUBison View Post
Like I said its a lot better than most of what is out there however there are some down sides about the show.

I dont like how the father and the two more adult of his kids were able to get away with so much during the first two seasons. I dont mean with regards to fighting the aliens but with regards to the politics of the second mass. How many times they were ordered to do one thing and the next moment they are doing the opposite and how they constantly got away with it.
With the constant comparisons to the revolutionary war just make it worse. If the amount of refusal of orders and doing the opposite were to of happened back during the revolutionary war there would of been executions yet the father and his two older sons keep getting away with stuff.
Actually during the Revoultionary war, most units were militia and they were only loosely organized before the arrival of the French and German aide. They fought what they called Indian style and we'd say guerilla taticts. One of the ongoing problems was lack of coordination. Later there was much more, but that was in the north. In the south, most of the fighting remained milita units from local areas fighting as guerillas. The leader of the southern forces who's name I can't remember at the moment finally unified them and they carried on a very costly war for the British which likely wasn't going to yield a victory for either side and was one of the major reasons the British parliment ended the war and forced an accomidation by cutting off funds for what was looking like an expensiive chase which wasn't winable.

It was also repleate with civilian on civilian violence over sometimes only percieved loyalty. Burnings of farms and houses were common in areas where loyalties were widely divided. People did not act as nice or good as the history would say. Just like Tom's people might well dispatch someone who they thought was influenced by the enemy so would the colonials. Tom might easily have been eliminated after being discovered when he escaped. The complete distrust he was seen in is realistic.

The middle portion of the Revolutionary war got more organized, and so have they. This season there is much more emphasis on obeying orders than before and they seem quite willing to eliminate those harnessed kids who act against them. Structure is appearing and even Pope is giving in to it. Much of what got ignored before wouldn't now. I wonder what the decision to not remove the spikes will yield.

Hal (the 'real' one) knows he'll die if he confesses. So does his alter ego. His wife doesn't want him to, thought she seems to be denying the reality that he IS a danger to them. Maybe she knows she'll go too since they'd assume she knew. Hal's discovery would also take dad and his brother with him, in terms of authority. Tom holds power mostly because he inspired them, and within their structure he has what appears to be absolute power. This will change him, and his current situation will test it. When someone comes up with proof that the current allies are playing them as tools he is going to have to think fast and get every word right, but will remain compromised even if he survives.

I think they've taken a far more realistic approach to the reality than most shows, perhaps because its the immediate aftermath of the invasion and not years later. Cudos to Spielberg in that. In a sense this is part two slightly rewritten of War of the Worlds where we see it from the pov of the survivors on the ground and how they have been irrevocably altered. One of the most fascinating things about War of the Worlds is that Wells was an optimist and he assumed things would be going back to the life before. I think if he lived today he'd not see the future for his broken world in such hopeful terms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 02:00 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,709,809 times
I had to hit the back button to make sure i wasnt in the history forum.

Old 06-27-2013, 02:45 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,842,683 times
Sigh.

What does this woman hope to accomplish by drugging Lourdes and running off into the woods? That should be a death sentence in this world - but of course she will survive and run into aliens who won't shoot her on site.

I am at a loss to explain the president and his crew. Were we to believe they were constantly on the move like the 2nd Mass in planes and land vehicles?

Old 06-27-2013, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Sigh.

What does this woman hope to accomplish by drugging Lourdes and running off into the woods? That should be a death sentence in this world - but of course she will survive and run into aliens who won't shoot her on site.

I am at a loss to explain the president and his crew. Were we to believe they were constantly on the move like the 2nd Mass in planes and land vehicles?
I can see her panic that the baby, which is her baby no matter if its not all human, might be killed. I don't know if she mearly injured the scientist or killed him, but she wasn't trying to eliminate Lourdes, just leave. She knows the baby is far from normal and knows eventually others will notice too. Running with the hope of saving your baby does make sense.

Now she runs into Hal and I assume some of the machine un harnessed kids? (got to look at the end again)

Hal was taken over by the origional enemy, or was he? And the machine is their 'friend's'. So who is on what side?????

I'm wondering if the plane was found near Charleston since we knew they weren't dragging it along and they skipped six months. I can only think that the president is still somehow 'influenced' by his experience and also wonder what they'd find if they checked HIS dna. I don't think he knows of that, thought. I think he believes that risk or not, the only way that humanity is going to be able to survive is to take advantage of the help no matter what else is involved.

Things are definately not what they seem.....

Old 06-27-2013, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
I had to hit the back button to make sure i wasnt in the history forum.
Just pointing out that they were and still are using history as a reference. Unfortunately I think now they've shifted to Poland as the Soviets and the Nazi's were slicing it up, but they are the Poles.

Old 06-30-2013, 09:45 PM

4,492 posts, read 5,006,761 times
Good show tonight.
Liked the personal stories.

Old 06-30-2013, 10:23 PM

8,634 posts, read 13,041,958 times
I knew Pope wasn't going to abandon him in the forest. lol. Good episode overall.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:21 PM

17,653 posts, read 22,721,103 times
I enjoyed this episode also...

Old 07-02-2013, 09:42 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,842,683 times
Yeah it was a good one. I like how pope and the prof are on a better understanding of each other but still at odds and not best buds.

I love Pope's comment of, "Next basket wins." Although I'm not quite sure of what to make of it. They've both saved each other's lives once so with the basketball analogy whoever does it next...wins? But to what end?

I just find the whole alien baby element uninteresting. Even the body snatcher element is cumbersome to me. Battlestar Galactica did the whole, they look like us hybrid thing so well I just don't want to see it again. These aliens just wouldn't be that insidious and subtle in my opinion. But oh well.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:21 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,777,338 times
So far this season is off to a good start. It's looking like Cut-Cheese and the Volm are up to something, but it may turn out to be more of a we know what we're doing don't worry your pink little heads about it thing.

It also looks like Peralta is the mole. Which is interesting because something a few episodes ago made me think it was a female.

I'm glad the youngest Mason got a makeover. He's tougher now and less pouty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV