Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2016, 12:44 AM

3,190 posts, read 3,188,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
We don't know yet how that occurs. They probably make him too.
How? And why? Why would a criminal organization with billions of dollars need to force a lawyer to do shady things for money? And a shady lawyer at that? And Walt never forced him to do anything. Saul freely offered advice and services to Walt before Walt was ever a maniac. You're clearly not being logical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 05:55 AM

5,902 posts, read 6,974,210 times
I liked the commercial --> "Gimme Jimmy"! I can see where he later comes up with Better Call Saul.

Old 04-20-2016, 06:03 AM

1,632 posts, read 1,851,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I didn't see that on Mike's car. I tune out during Mike's parts because I lost track too long ago to catch up on what is going on with him.
Me too, I got the part earlier about the drug sale and then wanting him to say the gun was his , after that I lost the plot on him.

Old 04-20-2016, 06:04 AM

22,931 posts, read 28,306,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
He stole from his father's business for years, stealing so much that the business went under, not just $4 one time.
He broke the law to steal a client from another firm.
He consistently breaks the law to make money.
He was a con man all his life.
He goes on to be a money launderer and fixer for a drug cartel and an insane meth maker.
He has to buy a new identity and work in a food court on the other side of the country under said assumed identity because he did so much illegal **** that the feds are after him.
All true, except for maybe the first one. We know he stole a few bucks at least once. But we also know that his father was easily fooled by any sad sack with a sob story, so I really don't think we can lay the failure of the business totally on Jimmy's shoulders.

Here's the thing:

Breaking Bad was a show about how a basically decent yet unremarkable guy turns in to a monster. It was a masterpiece.

Better Call Saul is a show about how a crooked guy keeps trying to go straight, but the supposed "straight" people in his life keep turning him crooked. The supposed "decent" citizens of the show (Chuck, Howard, city officials, clerks, etc.) ... are they truly more moral than the crooks? Not even a little. They're just as evil, albeit in different ways.

Mike actually explained to us everything that this show is about:

"I've known good criminals and bad cops, bad priests, honorable thieves. You can be on one side of the law or the other, but if you make a deal with somebody, you keep your word. You can go home today with your money and never do this again. But you took something that wasn't yours and you sold it for a profit. You are now a criminal. Good one, bad one, that's up to you."

These shows are about the play between good and bad. Not necessarily legal and illegal.

Old 04-20-2016, 06:31 AM

11,762 posts, read 14,669,155 times
For most of this season I've been thinking about Jimmy and Mike in particular (and I think the analysis could apply to other characters) in terms of RPG character alignments. In Dungeons and Dragons characters can be placed on two scales, Good-Evil and Lawful-Chaotic, based on their fundamental proclivities, and where you stand on one scale doesn't control where you stand on the other.

For instance, Chuck is clearly Lawful. Everything he does is based on adherence to the rules of his code, which is the law. The same is true of Mike; he doesn't obey the law as set forth in the statutes, but he will not deviate from his own code of conduct.

By the same standards, Jimmy has been Chaotic throughout both series. He knows what the standards of the legal profession, the law, and even the social settings (like the etiquette of the law firm) are, but they just aren't that relevant to him. He also starts out in BCS as good, or having mainly good tendencies. He is out for himself, but his natural impulses are to help people who need help, like the people victimized by the chain of retirement homes. It's also probably why in BB he continues with the personal injury work; there is little doubt that many of the injured clients in his waiting room are frauds, but I bet he started out representing people who were truly injured and getting screwed by insurance companies. Even by the end of BB I don't think he's Evil, but I think we are probably seeing the progression from Chaotic-Good to Chaotic-Neutral.

Where do Mike and Chuck fall on the Good-Evil scale?

Old 04-20-2016, 06:43 AM

11,762 posts, read 14,669,155 times
Two thoughts about the Mike scene last night.

SPOILERS

1. I don't think we've seen Gus, or any sign of his activities, in Better Call Saul so far. We know from the historical scenes in Breaking Bad that he must already be in business, but I think it's a stretch to say that he's involved in what has happened so far.

2. Isn't it obvious that it was Nacho who left the note and called off the hit? Mike wants to hit Hector because he realizes it's the only way to keep his family safe. Nacho is similarly afraid of what Hector will do to him. They both have ample motive to want him out of the way. Why Nacho called off the hit? No idea yet.

The show is also full of nice, but seemingly small, touches. I enjoyed seeing the guy who provided the gun say to Mike "No offense" just before he wiped his own fingerprints off the gun, saying, in not so many words, "I'm not saying you're the kind of guy who would give me up, but . . ."

Old 04-20-2016, 06:47 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,623,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post

SPOILERS

1. I don't think we've seen Gus, or any sign of his activities, in Better Call Saul so far. We know from the historical scenes in Breaking Bad that he must already be in business, but I think it's a stretch to say that he's involved in what has happened so far.

2. Isn't it obvious that it was Nacho who left the note and called off the hit? Mike wants to hit Hector because he realizes it's the only way to keep his family safe. Nacho is similarly afraid of what Hector will do to him. They both have ample motive to want him out of the way. Why Nacho called off the hit? No idea yet.

The show is also full of nice, but seemingly small, touches. I enjoyed seeing the guy who provided the gun say to Mike "No offense" just before he wiped his own fingerprints off the gun, saying, in not so many words, "I'm not saying you're the kind of guy who would give me up, but . . ."
I agree with all this. Jim Beaver is the gun salesman. Hope we see him more next season.. I First noticed him as Mr Ellsworth for any Deadwood fans.
but he's been in a bout a million shows since then

Old 04-20-2016, 06:48 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,385,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
Same here. I disliked Chuck ever since his "monkey with a machine-gun" speech. That was just hateful and malicious. When Jimmy does something bad, it's usually to save face for something - there is no malice in it.

H & M stole Mesa Verda from Kim, and Jimmy got it back in the only way he knew how.
I can see how someone would see that H and M stole Mesa Verde, however, Mesa Verde was always H&M's client. If anything, Kim tried to steal them from her old law firm. Though it is pretty common for corporate clients to leave a law firm when a particular attorney also leaves the firm. Chuck and Howard simply convinced the bank to stay, whereas Jimmy committed a crime to trick Mesa Verde into leaving H&M.

Old 04-20-2016, 07:01 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,385,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post

SPOILERS

How would Nacho have left the note on the car and rigged the horn to sound? He was down at the house with Hector and the others. Nacho would have to pay someone else to leave the note and sound the horn and that would expose him because another would know he's in business with Mike.

Someone else has been watching Mike while he's been stalking the Salamancas. As I posted before, a review speculates that Gus Fring, likely someone in is entourage, is following Mike. Perhaps Fring knows that someone killing Hector will set off a gang war since Salamanca's since it will be natural to assume one of his rivals killed him and not some random old man.

Old 04-20-2016, 07:14 AM

1,632 posts, read 1,851,598 times
But didn't Hector blow himself up with Gus in BB ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV