Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 11:22 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,067,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
You are not kidding! When I was coming up, TV viewers had a "block" of shows...I should say "blocks"; In the daytime, Goodson-Todman (game shows); evenings, Norman Lear and/or Garry Marshall (sitcoms); Aaron Spelling and/or Stephen Cannell (action/adventure & drama); Hanna-Barbera, Warner Bros. & Filmation (animated cartoons); Sid & Marty Krofft (live children's shows).

Many of the above mentioned ppl, sadly are no longer with us. But they have left a legacy yet to be matched!
I agree! We got our first tv in 1949 and there were only a few shows in the morning hours and then no more shows until around 5 p.m., and then nothing after around 11 p.m.

Saturday morning we could watch old western movies or a kid show; and there were 15 minutes shows that featured Les Paul and Mary Ford, and even Korla Pandit.

We'd get our thrills watching the test patterns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 12:12 AM

11,654 posts, read 12,731,603 times
During the mid 2000s, I used to watch the Qubo block on NBC. I thought there were some good cartoons. Canada's Jacob Two-Two was one of those multi-layered cartoons with something for the kiddies and jokes for the adults that went over the kiiddies' heads. I also liked Jane and the Dragon.

Old 07-28-2014, 05:37 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,636,266 times
Rose colored glasses here much? I watched as many cartoons as anyone when I was a kid, but in retrospect they all bit it pretty hard. Most of the HB ones I grew up with were Scooby Doo knock offs and the animation on all of them was horrible even by the standards of the day.

The only older cartoons that still hold up for me are Rocky & Bullwinkle and Tennessee Tuxedo and His Tales. The animation is not great, but the writing is light years ahead of HB.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:47 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,067,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Rose colored glasses here much?
More WB cartoons back in the 50s (Bugs Bunny and the gang). No tinted glasses, just reality glasses.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:25 AM

17,638 posts, read 17,743,919 times
Some of the funniest cartoons go back to Tex Avery made cartoons. He had a knack for comedic cartoon timing. Early Tom & Jerry had international comedy since it was no dialog and all physical comedy. Later years they went down hill fast on the comedy. HB had a big hit with Scooby-Doo. Then came the chain Scooby-Doo formula shows like Speed Buggy & Jabber Jaw. Though I loved the "Super Friends" show as a kid, watching reruns I'm reminded how limited the writing and acting the show really was. For it's time, the animation wasn't bad like the shrinky-dinks type animation of most Saturday morning cartoons in those days. Politically correct sensors ruining the classic Warner Brothers cartoons like Bugs Bunny and eliminated Speedy Gonzales entirely because they think it's offensive to Mexicans (even though it is popular in Mexico). While the classic cartoons of the past spawned a toy line, the cartoons of the 80s was developed for already existing toys and video games to increase sales. Then there were cartoons made to promote a message. That doesn't work. Make a show for entertainment to tell a story or make people laugh. Don't do it with the intent of selling a product or promote a social political cause. Nothing wrong with including a life lesson for young children, but don't sell or promote social causes.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:33 AM

Though Saturday morning cartoons were disappearing, I was having high hopes when I saw quality animation and writing on programs like Gargoyles, Batman, Superman, Recess, and more recent examples like Justice League and Young Justice. It's so sad that the majority of new programs on regular Cartoon Network have grade school level animation drawings and writing. The most recent great quality cartoon series was Avatar: The Last Airbender. It's spinoff, Legend of Korra, is getting better and then was cut from network broadcast and put in online viewing only.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:38 AM

3,976 posts, read 5,176,003 times
Yep. A couple of hours of Hanna Barbara or Looney Toons, then the live action stuff like Sid and Marty Krofft shows.

I guess golf pays more than cartoons these days.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
Yep. A couple of hours of Hanna Barbara or Looney Toons, then the live action stuff like Sid and Marty Krofft shows.

I guess golf pays more than cartoons these days.
Don't have to pay writers and animators to produce golf. If I put my TV on golf, it's to help me fall asleep. To me, golf is one of the sports that is fun to play but is boring as heck to watch on TV. Golf, tennis, and bowling are the main ones on this list. I'd love to see a rule change to professional golf. They call themselves athletes. If they're athletes, then why don't they carry their own bags?

Old 07-28-2014, 09:31 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,636,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
More WB cartoons back in the 50s (Bugs Bunny and the gang). No tinted glasses, just reality glasses.
The ones that they originally played before movies were pretty great. The Saturday morning ones were above average but didn't match the quality of the originals.

But, honestly, except for nostalgia purposes I could go without ever seeing Jabberjaw again.

Old 07-28-2014, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
The ones that they originally played before movies were pretty great. The Saturday morning ones were above average but didn't match the quality of the originals.

But, honestly, except for nostalgia purposes I could go without ever seeing Jabberjaw again.
I'd add Speed Buggy to that list, "rrrooom a zoom zoom"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV