Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2009, 12:21 PM

3,963 posts, read 10,631,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by senalj View Post
. I read that the state of Pennsylvania is investigating to see if the kids are working without the appropriate permits and funds (some of the money has to be set aside in a trust in their names) set up. So the show may go off the air soon.
Some of the money must be put in trust for the kids? Where did you read that? I don't think so...... It should be, and laws may change because of this, but I don't believe it is currently required by law.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:45 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,465,349 times
Here's the link: What is a Coogan Account? | Your Young Actor

Here's what it says, in a nutshell:
Well, many years ago, there was a very successful child actor named Jackie Coogan. He first worked in Vaudeville shows and in silent films, and then starred with Charlie Chaplin in the movie The Kid in 1921.
Many other film roles for Jackie Coogan followed after that one, and he earned a substantial amount of money. Unfortunately, his mother and stepfather squandered nearly all the money he earned.
Jackie Coogan filed a lawsuit to get money back from them, but he only ended up getting a small portion of his actual earnings.
It was this lawsuit that resulted in legislation in the state of California referred to as the California Child Actor’s Bill (a.k.a. the Coogan Bill and the Coogan law).
This law mandates that employers of a child actor or model deposit 15% of the money earned by that child into a special account called a Coogan blocked trust account (a.k.a. a Coogan trust fund, a Coogan trust account, or a Coogan account).
It is the responsibility of the parent or guardian of the child to set up this account for the child.
Since this account is a blocked trust, money can be deposited into the account, but no money can be withdrawn from this account by any person for any reason. Only the child can withdraw money from this account on or after his/her 18th birthday or when legally emancipated.

My daughter wants to be a model, so I was told that whether she wanted to model in NY or CA, I had to make sure I set aside the earnings for her. The above is in reference to a law that passed in CA, but I was told that while it's specific to CA, NY, LA and NM, it's informally upheld by all states because so many child actors had parents who spent their fortunes (Gary Coleman, Dustin Diamond and the dark-haired daughter from Step by Step come to mind). I don't know if that's true or not, but it's what I was told when I was researching the modeling thing for my daughter. Octomom has already set up accounts for her kids.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:12 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,132,827 times
sigh---hope all of you jon is so great supporters continue to have great men in your lives cause an involved encounter with a jon type would get you to change your tune quickly--i said it before,but i will repeat---women are the LEAST supportive of one another and this thread proves it

Old 06-11-2009, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by returningtonepa??? View Post
sigh---hope all of you jon is so great supporters continue to have great men in your lives cause an involved encounter with a jon type would get you to change your tune quickly--i said it before,but i will repeat---women are the LEAST supportive of one another and this thread proves it
I have no problem supporting other women, but that doesn't mean I need to excuse their inappropriate behavior to do so. Both of them could have handled themselves better than they did and both of them need to put the kids before their aspirations of fame and fortune. But she didn't. If Jon is cheating (and none of us really knows if he is), then he's wrong. But to defend a woman who berates and belittles her husband on national TV all the time is inappropriate. If she can do that with the cameras running, imagine what she's doing to him when they're alone. I can't defend her actions. If she was as concerned about her marriage as she was about the TV show, she would have recognized she can't belittle and berate her husband and expect him to have dying devotion to her and only her. She has to change her ways or she will wind up divorced and trying to co-raise 8 kids. I bet we'll see a change in him if he sees a change (for the better) in her.

And what did he do that was so bad? He has to be a good guy to stick with her; a bad one would have left her the moment she popped out 6 kids. I mean, come on, who wants to have the struggles of raising 8 kids and try to work on a one-sided relationship?

Old 06-11-2009, 02:02 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,163,378 times
Bravo!! A Most Outstanding post!!!

Quote:
I have no problem supporting other women, but that doesn't mean I need to excuse their inappropriate behavior to do so. Both of them could have handled themselves better than they did and both of them need to put the kids before their aspirations of fame and fortune. But she didn't. If Jon is cheating (and none of us really knows if he is), then he's wrong. But to defend a woman who berates and belittles her husband on national TV all the time is inappropriate. If she can do that with the cameras running, imagine what she's doing to him when they're alone. I can't defend her actions. If she was as concerned about her marriage as she was about the TV show, she would have recognized she can't belittle and berate her husband and expect him to have dying devotion to her and only her. She has to change her ways or she will wind up divorced and trying to co-raise 8 kids. I bet we'll see a change in him if he sees a change (for the better) in her.

And what did he do that was so bad? He has to be a good guy to stick with her; a bad one would have left her the moment she popped out 6 kids. I mean, come on, who wants to have the struggles of raising 8 kids and try to work on a one-sided relationship?

Old 06-11-2009, 02:12 PM

3,963 posts, read 10,631,058 times
Quote:
Here's the link: What is a Coogan Account? | Your Young Actor

Here's what it says, in a nutshell:
Well, many years ago, there was a very successful child actor named Jackie Coogan. He first worked in Vaudeville shows and in silent films, and then starred with Charlie Chaplin in the movie The Kid in 1921.
Many other film roles for Jackie Coogan followed after that one, and he earned a substantial amount of money. Unfortunately, his mother and stepfather squandered nearly all the money he earned.
Jackie Coogan filed a lawsuit to get money back from them, but he only ended up getting a small portion of his actual earnings.
It was this lawsuit that resulted in legislation in the state of California referred to as the California Child Actor’s Bill (a.k.a. the Coogan Bill and the Coogan law).
This law mandates that employers of a child actor or model deposit 15% of the money earned by that child into a special account called a Coogan blocked trust account (a.k.a. a Coogan trust fund, a Coogan trust account, or a Coogan account).
It is the responsibility of the parent or guardian of the child to set up this account for the child.
Since this account is a blocked trust, money can be deposited into the account, but no money can be withdrawn from this account by any person for any reason. Only the child can withdraw money from this account on or after his/her 18th birthday or when legally emancipated.

My daughter wants to be a model, so I was told that whether she wanted to model in NY or CA, I had to make sure I set aside the earnings for her. The above is in reference to a law that passed in CA, but I was told that while it's specific to CA, NY, LA and NM, it's informally upheld by all states because so many child actors had parents who spent their fortunes (Gary Coleman, Dustin Diamond and the dark-haired daughter from Step by Step come to mind). I don't know if that's true or not, but it's what I was told when I was researching the modeling thing for my daughter. Octomom has already set up accounts for her kids.
I'm familiar with Coogan accounts. I referenced them in an earlier post. What does that have to do with J&K Plus 8, though? Nothing. They don't shoot in CA, and it's a reality show. Should this change? Absolutely, but as of now, Coogans aren't relevant to the Gosselins.

As for it being "informally upheld" in other states, I've never heard of that.

Old 06-11-2009, 02:46 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,943,791 times
Quote:
where is it obvious?most of the clips in the series shows him complaining about them crying,being too slow,so on----if you love your kids you DO NOT bring your adulterous girlfriend to their house,avoid going on vacation with ALL of them,avoid helping with their party,be seen in local bars with your girlfriend(remember some of those kids can read)-----so again---WHERE IS THAT LOVE????
You have no proof that she is his girlfriend.

Old 06-11-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post
You have no proof that she is his girlfriend.
And if she is, what is her responsibility in all this? It's not like she didn't know he was married. Heck, I don't even watch the show and I know who he is!

Old 06-11-2009, 02:59 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,336,309 times
Quote:
supporting her because she has ovaries is just as stupid as not supporting jon because he doesn't.

Old 06-11-2009, 03:50 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,278,166 times
Quote:

Great post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV