Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2021, 02:12 PM

22,931 posts, read 28,306,592 times

Advertisements

Episode 2 is coasting largely on Hiddleston and Wilson's charm. They're doing a great Butch and Sundance.

The story itself ... It's not bad. But it's not special. It feels like the writers filed off the serial numbers of some old Doctor Who episodes. Not necessarily a bad thing. It's fun. But unless the writing starts stepping up soon, this isn't destined to be a classic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2021, 07:41 PM

724 posts, read 404,795 times
Super strange episode. Not sure I’m fully following it, but it’s pulling me in and still has me intrigued.

Old 06-17-2021, 08:02 PM

28,687 posts, read 18,825,363 times
I agree that it's been intriguing so far. The tricky part to this point was to transform Loki into someone the audience can empathize with as a protagonist instead of his usual antagonist. They needed to get us to trust him a bit (even if the TVA still doesn't) to keep us onboard at the very end of the episode. They had to make that happen before they could go forward with the plot.

Old 06-18-2021, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I agree that it's been intriguing so far. The tricky part to this point was to transform Loki into someone the audience can empathize with as a protagonist instead of his usual antagonist. They needed to get us to trust him a bit (even if the TVA still doesn't) to keep us onboard at the very end of the episode. They had to make that happen before they could go forward with the plot.
I am only speculating, but I'm not convinced the Timekeepers and the TVA are actually "good guys." So Loki in ultimately betraying them will in fact be on the side of good.

Old 06-18-2021, 07:38 AM

12,393 posts, read 8,173,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I am only speculating, but I'm not convinced the Timekeepers and the TVA are actually "good guys." So Loki in ultimately betraying them will in fact be on the side of good.
I don't have Disney but hearing and reading about Chaos god versus order in the modern, dare we say Germanic combat helmets gives me that impression

Old 06-18-2021, 08:32 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,889,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Yeah this is what I’ve heard also. Even based on Loki’s dialogue it kind of hints that may be the case.

Old 06-18-2021, 08:38 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,889,753 times
Quote:
Yeah I heard a lot about the potential twists, that came through in the second episode, online (who was under the hood) based on reviews of the first episode. The reviewers said they were “speculating” but it’s clear they read the comics because their “speculations” were correct, lol.

Still a think Loki is a wildcard and Marvel will take us for a spin. Listening to a review of episode 2, there may be a another twist. I’m going to stop listening to reviews of episodes lol.

Old 06-18-2021, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Yeah I heard a lot about the potential twists, that came through in the second episode, online (who was under the hood) based on reviews of the first episode. The reviewers said they were “speculating” but it’s clear they read the comics because their “speculations” were correct, lol.

Still a think Loki is a wildcard and Marvel will take us for a spin. Listening to a review of episode 2, there may be a another twist. I’m going to stop listening to reviews of episodes lol.
I've been a fan of a number of series: Marvel Comics since the 60s "Silver Age," Star Trek from its inception in the 60s, Star Wars from its inception in the 70s, The Expanse from its inception ten years ago.

I can understand how fans who have put a lot of brainpower into memorizing all the details of the early stories can desire to make the most of all of the headstuff they've accumulated. They don't want to think that what they've spent so much time learning is a waste. They want to feel one-up on the newbies.

But in the end, this is all fiction. It's not real history. It was all made up from the beginning. It never really happened. If we read the original stories or watched the original movies and enjoyed them back in the day...then we got our money's worth. It's not a cheat if it gets changed later by whoever owns the IP. We got our money's worth.

I mean, sheesh, comics are constantly retconned, revived, rewritten. Nobody who is a long-time comics fan should blink an eye when a comics movie makes a change.

Old 06-23-2021, 08:35 PM

Well, the third episode left me underwhelmed. I had far too many, "Why can't they" and "Why did they?" and "Why don't they" in that episode.

We spent all that time with Sylvi, or whoever she is, and still didn't learn anything substantial about her or her plans...and not even who she really is. Sounds like maybe she's the comics Enchantress, but maybe not, and even if she is, that doesn't mean she'll be the comics Enchantress.

As far as I can tell, we learned one thing: The TVA functionaries are all variants who have apparently been mind-wiped and don't know they're variants.

But then, what is all that rigamarole about deleting variants or returning them to their timelines? And why wouldn't Loki press Sylvi for more information?

And why don't the Minutemen have any ranged weapons?

Right now, not enough is making sense, either in the progression of the plot or the actions of the characters. I rate this episode a D.

Last edited by Ralph_Kirk; 06-23-2021 at 09:33 PM..

Old 06-24-2021, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Well, the third episode left me underwhelmed. I had far too many, "Why can't they" and "Why did they?" and "Why don't they" in that episode.

We spent all that time with Sylvi, or whoever she is, and still didn't learn anything substantial about her or her plans...and not even who she really is. Sounds like maybe she's the comics Enchantress, but maybe not, and even if she is, that doesn't mean she'll be the comics Enchantress.

As far as I can tell, we learned one thing: The TVA functionaries are all variants who have apparently been mind-wiped and don't know they're variants.

But then, what is all that rigamarole about deleting variants or returning them to their timelines? And why wouldn't Loki press Sylvi for more information?

And why don't the Minutemen have any ranged weapons?

Right now, not enough is making sense, either in the progression of the plot or the actions of the characters. I rate this episode a D.
Agreed.

This show is coasting on Hiddleston's charm alone. The writing is a mess.

And yes, Sylvi is definitely Enchantress. If you'd taken a shot every time last night's episode used the word "enchantment," you'd have been blind drunk halfway through the episode.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV