Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2021, 06:46 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,257,512 times

Advertisements

I enjoyed it. The on-screen chemistry between the two is amazing. Character development takes time. That's what makes a good show memorable. This week's episode gave us that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2021, 07:17 AM

28,711 posts, read 18,886,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I enjoyed it. The on-screen chemistry between the two is amazing. Character development takes time. That's what makes a good show memorable. This week's episode gave us that.
But there is only, what, three episodes left? Unless the resolution of the plot will hinge on character itself (and that is possible, but I'll need to see it to believe it in a comic book), then spending 1/6th of runtime on character development can actually be a detriment to the story.

Old 06-24-2021, 07:49 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,257,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
But there is only, what, three episodes left? Unless the resolution of the plot will hinge on character itself (and that is possible, but I'll need to see it to believe it in a comic book), then spending 1/6th of runtime on character development can actually be a detriment to the story.
I feel the opposite. And this is where a series has an advantage over a movie. Movies don't have this time, but a series, even if only six episodes, can take the time to let us learn about these characters. Their motivations, fears, desires.

The story is what it is. Whether the writers tell it to us in five episodes or 13, that's that. But character development gives depth to these people, and helps us understand them better than simple plot advancement. Getting to know them makes us care more what happens to them, and we're more emotionally invested over the remaining episodes.

Old 06-24-2021, 08:20 AM

22,953 posts, read 28,365,202 times
Quote:
I feel the opposite. And this is where a series has an advantage over a movie. Movies don't have this time, but a series, even if only six episodes, can take the time to let us learn about these characters. Their motivations, fears, desires.

The story is what it is. Whether the writers tell it to us in five episodes or 13, that's that. But character development gives depth to these people, and helps us understand them better than simple plot advancement. Getting to know them makes us care more what happens to them, and we're more emotionally invested over the remaining episodes.
I agree with you. However, LOKI is failing to do this on almost every level. The characters aren't developing. Loki is the same as he was in episode 1. So is everyone else. They aren't changing. There is no depth at all to any of these characters. Loki has Mommy Issues. We knew that already. Lady Loki might not be who she claims. Duh.

There is no character development at all --- and precious little plot development. The characters are just bantering and running and punching and dodging explosions.

Tom Hiddleston is super charismatic. I think he could make a reading of the Yellow Pages interesting. But the writing on this show is empty. It's all style. No substance.

Old 06-24-2021, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I agree with you. However, LOKI is failing to do this on almost every level. The characters aren't developing. Loki is the same as he was in episode 1. So is everyone else. They aren't changing. There is no depth at all to any of these characters. Loki has Mommy Issues. We knew that already. Lady Loki might not be who she claims. Duh.

There is no character development at all --- and precious little plot development. The characters are just bantering and running and punching and dodging explosions.

Tom Hiddleston is super charismatic. I think he could make a reading of the Yellow Pages interesting. But the writing on this show is empty. It's all style. No substance.
There was some character development...but nothing that couldn't have been done within five minutes.

Old 06-24-2021, 06:57 PM

724 posts, read 406,480 times
I admit I wasn’t a huge fan of this episode. Felt a lot like a Mandalorian episode.

Old 06-24-2021, 07:27 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,915,402 times
Quote:
Yeah they really did have good on-screen chemistry, although with Tom Hiddleston that’s not hard. He has great on-screen chemistry with everyone.

Old 06-24-2021, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Well, the third episode left me underwhelmed. I had far too many, "Why can't they" and "Why did they?" and "Why don't they" in that episode.

We spent all that time with Sylvi, or whoever she is, and still didn't learn anything substantial about her or her plans...and not even who she really is. Sounds like maybe she's the comics Enchantress, but maybe not, and even if she is, that doesn't mean she'll be the comics Enchantress.

As far as I can tell, we learned one thing: The TVA functionaries are all variants who have apparently been mind-wiped and don't know they're variants.

But then, what is all that rigamarole about deleting variants or returning them to their timelines? And why wouldn't Loki press Sylvi for more information?

And why don't the Minutemen have any ranged weapons?

Right now, not enough is making sense, either in the progression of the plot or the actions of the characters. I rate this episode a D.
Yeah I kinda agree. It was kind of the ultimate filler episode. Given that there are limited episodes in the series, we’ve been programmed for each episode to have some kind of meaning/impact. This episode was just flat IMO. Although I will give it the benefit of the doubt. If you re-watch it almost like a movie, this kind of episode might not matter too much. But there’s not too much time to play around with filler episodes lol.

I’m not sure how many episodes this series has.

Old 06-24-2021, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post

Yeah, I agree that there isn’t much plot development. Although I am thinking there is going to be a big twist, so maybe things will pick up.

I also kinda agree about character development. Loki is great, but this is the kind of series that could have really dug into his backstory (which we don’t know too much about).

What was weird is that they started to kind of go down that road in the first episode and in this episode. But it ended up being really brief and cut short.

There’s not too many more episodes, but I hope they dig more into Loki’s backstory.

Old 06-24-2021, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Yeah, I agree that there isn’t much plot development. Although I am thinking there is going to be a big twist, so maybe things will pick up.

I also kinda agree about character development. Loki is great, but this is the kind of series that could have really dug into his backstory (which we don’t know too much about).

What was weird is that they started to kind of go down that road in the first episode and in this episode. But it ended up being really brief and cut short.

There’s not too many more episodes, but I hope they dig more into Loki’s backstory.
They should have used more of it to go into Sylvie's back story. Yeah, she didn't grow up with a mother, but that doesn't tell us anything much. We still don't know what her plans are..and it's amazing that Loki would not have pressed that issue harder.

I've been watching another SF program on Amazon, "Counterpart" starring JK Simmons. It's an alternate universe spy thriller in which JK Simmons in our "prime" universe works as a mild-mannered low-level functionary in the organization that manages the trans-universe portal in this universe. His function is so low that he doesn't even know what his organization actually does. His life is boring. His main avocation is playing Go! with an acquaintance on the sidewalk. He spends each evening reading to his comatose wife in the hospital.

Then circumstances cause him to meet his "counterpart" from the other universe (which is totally against protocols). His counterpart is a hard-core operative "licensed to kill" agent and all that. But when they have a chance to talk, what he really wants to know (and what the audience wants to know) are the details of how their lives diverged to produce such different end-products. (Got to give Simmons his kudos for carrying off both roles so differently yet believably.)

Loki doesn't seem to have that same desire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV