Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2021, 11:02 AM

7,245 posts, read 7,072,982 times

Advertisements

I will say that we paused the screen at the end credit scene.

Spoiler
It looked like it was Earth. There clearly was a street lamp and a telephone poll. Hubby and I were trying to decide if the building behind classic Loki was Stark tower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2021, 11:21 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,231,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post

[]It looked like it was Earth. There clearly was a street lamp and a telephone poll. Hubby and I were trying to decide if the building behind classic Loki was Stark tower.[/]
Yes, that was the Avengers HQ. And it was destroyed, which tells us this is *definitely* a different timeline.

Loved the Alligator Loki.

Old 07-01-2021, 11:42 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post

Spoiler
It looked like it was Earth. There clearly was a street lamp and a telephone poll. Hubby and I were trying to decide if the building behind classic Loki was Stark tower.
Spoiler
It sure looked like a demolished Stark/Avengers tower to me. But of course, which Earth?

Old 07-01-2021, 01:10 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,605,322 times
Best episode so far! I did not see either of the two 'twists' coming.

Not to mention that Loki showed what seems to be very genuine emotion.

Old 07-01-2021, 01:23 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,263,704 times
I know I overthink things, but something about the plot continually bugs me. And please don't say, "It's a comic book show!" Yes, I know that means the rules are different. But it doesn't mean there are no rules.

In previous movies, Loki is genuinely a super villian. He has super strength. He can get up after a smackdown from the Hulk. He can fly. He can shapeshift or at least give the illusion of being another person. Pretty formidable opponent!

So why on this show is he resorting to fisticuffs?

That would be like the big Jedi showdown at the end of a STAR WARS movie being set up, only to have the Jedi and the Sith sit down to play Tic Tac Toe.

Old 07-01-2021, 01:24 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,183,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
This show is coasting on Hiddleston's charm. The guy could make a dramatic reading of a dishwasher manual fun. Too bad the writers aren't giving him anything actually interesting to do.
True, but Hiddleston has such a considerable amount of charm that the show can pull it off. So much charm, in fact, that I almost forget Owen Wilson (who is a very charming guy in his own right) is even around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
That reminds me of a "dad story" that actor Jared Harris tells of his father Richard Harris.
I think I may have mentioned this before on C-D, but if not, I'll admit to it again. I have a huge crush on Jared Harris. I think he's very sexy. Not conventionally handsome, but there's just something about him....and he's a fantastic actor, which is not easy given the inevitable comparisons to his father.

Old 07-01-2021, 01:46 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,868,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
Best episode so far! I did not see either of the two 'twists' coming.

Not to mention that Loki showed what seems to be very genuine emotion.
I mentioned the same thing. I love Loki's normal personality, but it was a really nice change of pace to see him be really serious and emotional in parts of last night's episode.

Old 07-01-2021, 01:51 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,868,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I know I overthink things, but something about the plot continually bugs me. And please don't say, "It's a comic book show!" Yes, I know that means the rules are different. But it doesn't mean there are no rules.

In previous movies, Loki is genuinely a super villian. He has super strength. He can get up after a smackdown from the Hulk. He can fly. He can shapeshift or at least give the illusion of being another person. Pretty formidable opponent!

So why on this show is he resorting to fisticuffs?

That would be like the big Jedi showdown at the end of a STAR WARS movie being set up, only to have the Jedi and the Sith sit down to play Tic Tac Toe.

Yeah, lots of YouTubers have mentioned this. He has super magic powers but then he somehow takes a beating by average everyday-Joe's.

Although, I wouldn't attribute that to being specific to this particular plot. The inconsistencies in powers happens across MCU movies and shows. If you include the Marvel Netflix series and even the X-Men movies, it is really bad in those.

But I mention this criticism all the time, so it's not surprising to me to see it in Loki.

Old 07-01-2021, 02:10 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Yeah, lots of YouTubers have mentioned this. He has super magic powers but then he somehow takes a beating by average everyday-Joe's.

Although, I wouldn't attribute that to being specific to this particular plot. The inconsistencies in powers happens across MCU movies and shows. If you include the Marvel Netflix series and even the X-Men movies, it is really bad in those.

But I mention this criticism all the time, so it's not surprising to me to see it in Loki.
It's somewhat excusable (or at least more easily ignored) when they're fighting other super-powered folk. But when dealing on ordinary planets against ordinary security guards, they should not have to raise much more than an eyebrow...much less a sweat. And it's even been uneven within the same series.

Old 07-01-2021, 02:16 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,263,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
The inconsistencies in powers happens across MCU movies and shows.
True.

At first, I told myself, "That TVA collar he's wearing is locked and negating his powers."

But then I thought: Hang on. He's wearing a collar! If the thing can restrict the powers of an Asgardian god, surely they have a KNOCK OUT THE PRISONER button? At least a STUN button or SHOCK function. You'd think?

This is show is fun. Hiddleston is super charming. But sadly, the show isn't very smart. You really do have to just turn off your brain and go with it, because none of it makes a bit of sense.

Remember when movies and TV shows at least tried to be smart? They didn't always succeed. But at least they tried.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV