Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2013, 10:07 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,245,667 times

Advertisements

I'll try Justified. Thanks!

I watched every season of SoA until this year. I don't like it anymore. It's not going anywhere but in circles. Just more of the same sh*t different season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 11:24 AM

3,050 posts, read 5,001,318 times
I agree with you on SoA, it really dropped off. Justified is very good television (season 2 was incredible!) Just don't go in expecting another Breaking Bad.

My recommendations go something like this -
1. The Wire
2. Breaking Bad
3. The Shield
4. Brotherhood - very gritty, great acting.
5. Damages - (the first 3 seasons)
6. Justified

Old 10-07-2013, 11:29 AM

3,050 posts, read 5,001,318 times
Oh and a couple of niblets -
1. Terriers - only one season but it wraps up nicely. Co-created by Shawn Ryan (The Shield)
2. Life - great cast - Damian Lewis, Donal Logue, Adam Arkin. Only 32 episodes...
3. Luther

Old 10-07-2013, 11:31 AM

22,956 posts, read 28,379,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I watched every season of SoA until this year. I don't like it anymore. It's not going anywhere but in circles. Just more of the same sh*t different season.
Yeah, I can't disagree. I'm still watching SOA because I so enjoyed the first 4 seasons and I'm hoping it'll recover, but the show is really wandering. It seems like Sutter had 4 seasons worth of story that he's trying to stretch into 7 seasons.

Justified is great. The thing I like about it is that the "bad guys" get just as much development and story time as the good guys. And some of the bad guys are very likeable.

Second the recommendation for The Wire. Great series.

I've tried watching The Shield and just can't get into it. Something about it just never grabbed me.

Another show you might try: Bates Motel. I went in to this show with rather low expectations and ended up loving it. It was my favorite "new" show from last season.

Frank Darabont has a new series coming in December about mobsters that looks very promising.

Old 10-07-2013, 11:42 AM

Thanks for the ideas. I'll third The Wire. I watched it back when it was airing. It was one of the best shows. It deserved more seasons but nobody knew it existed for whatever reason so it was cancelled. I loved it because the lines were so blurred between the good and bad guys. There were good criminals and bad good-guys. The writing and acting was amazing.

My husband couldn't get into The Shield and couldn't wait until I was done watching it. He viewed it as a soap opera. It gets more interesting as the seasons go on because it gets deep into character development---their motivations, etc. You get to see the good and the bad sides of the bad guys. At the end of the 7th season, you're just blow away by how evil the bad-est guys were and how the good guys who just got caught up with the wrong group got screwed royally. After I watched the seasons, I read that the creator purposely went into smaller focus from season 2 onward instead of trying to keep it big and fast like the first season. Maybe try it again knowing it gets more interesting. It truly does weave every season together.

A show my husband and I loved was Rubicon but it was cancelled after just one season. It was very slow moving and complex. It made you think. I guess most American viewers couldn't be bothered with trying to think. It ended without us having a clue what was happening because the plug was obviously pulled without the writers knowing it would end after the first seasons. It's such a shame when good television tanks for the garbage that's popular out there.

I haven't see anything else mentioned so I have a lot of things to try! Thanks!

Old 10-07-2013, 11:53 AM

9,830 posts, read 11,601,944 times
What!
No love for Low Winter Sun?

Old 10-07-2013, 12:02 PM

313 posts, read 402,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
So, was I the only one going through BB withdrawls last night?
Oh no, I was right there too.

I can't believe I'm saying this but I'm actually happy to hear about a Saul spinoff. At first I thought it was a nutty idea, but given how talented the Saul actor & Vince G are, I'll be there w/ bells on.

Whoever said people won't remember BB yrs from now, yea sure that can be said for any show, but that does not take away what an excellent show BB was and how well the handled the ending to this show.

It'll still be remembered by those of us who appreciate well-written and acted shows like The Wire,
The Shield, Sopranos, Seinfeld (my only top 10 in the comedy genre), Brotherhood, Rubicon (ended too soon, IMO), Damages, Deadwood, & Justified.

Homicide had its moments too, and I used to like it, but not sure it has stood the test of time. The others on my list are still very much watchable, and I think BB will continue to be as well.

Old 10-07-2013, 12:31 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,695,724 times
I watched the first three seasons of SoA on netflix (all that was available at the time), it was ok but not great, and kind of predictable. I also tried Californication and Dexter and they didn't really do much for me.
I never saw the last season of the Shield even though it was my favorite show for a while.

I might check out Mad Men.

Old 10-07-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendlyFeller View Post
I never saw the last season of the Shield even though it was my favorite show for a while.
You have to watch the last season. You can't imagine how it ends.

Old 10-07-2013, 12:52 PM

3,175 posts, read 3,662,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
So, was I the only one going through BB withdrawls last night?
You are not alone.
What makes it twice as bad is my 2nd favorite (Homeland), is not any good so far. Boardwalk Empire sort of saved the day though.
Everything I watch is causing anger, lol..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV