Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2013, 07:05 PM

13,825 posts, read 30,036,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
Changed how? It's been awhile since I have seen earlier seasons, so I'm not sure what you are referring to.
She turned on a dime from loving wife to queen ***** as soon as Walt finished recovering from his surgery. She had unraveled most of Walt's hidden life during his recovery, and was holding it in until she exploded and turned on him (began sleeping w/Ted, etc).

Old 10-10-2013, 06:26 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,666,011 times
When he was in for his surgery, she found out about his extra cell phone and knew he had been lying the whole time. Until that time she had believed everything he said. She found out he didn't visit his mother, even though she had dropped him off at the airport. That alone would devastate any wife.

I think she loved him but at some point all she cared about were the kids and protecting them from ever finding out about their father.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 07:04 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,684,664 times
I hated Skyler until she turned into more of a B. She was just a whiny housewife up until that point. The whole Ted storyling was the turning point for me.

Old 10-10-2013, 07:31 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,640,583 times
She sucked even before the surgery..They thought he was dying of lung cancer, he tells her he's buying marijuana from an old student and she started b*tching about that. He had to ask her "Will you please climb down out of my a$s."

It wasn't until she started to unravel that she became an interesting character.

Old 10-10-2013, 08:28 AM

12,406 posts, read 19,023,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
Even though Walt did many terrible things, most people were still rooting for him to succeed, and enjoyed watching his progression into becoming a kingpin. She often seemed like the wet blanket. She's dealing with the reality of her husband being a criminal, which could destroy them both, but she still loves him, and wants their family to work. She is in incredibly difficult, and complicated situation, she's just trying to keep her head above water. I do think she is a rather boring character, a stereotypical housewife with a rather boring life. She seems to have little ambition of her own, but I guess there are many people like that. Maybe we root for Walt because he stepped out of the boring life, and like he told her at the end, he liked it, he was ALIVE.

Walt is on a mission, he doesn't care about any of the real life complications. He knows he is going to die, and he refuses to die without achieving the goal of making himself matter, and leaving his family with money. This is her family too, she has an obligation to question his actions, but that makes her seem like an impediment to his success. The fans are on this journey with Walter, and even though he has done horrible things, most of us, on some level want to see him succeed.

For me the most devastating episode ever was the one before the finale when Walt was dying and broken. That glint of anger in Walt's eyes was listening to the Gray Matter couple on TV was a joy for me to behold. Even though a part of me hates him, and I definitely hate many of the things he has done, I still wanted to see him go out with some pride, and some success.

I do feel the writers may have skimped a bit on her character, they often made her wishy washy, but considering the crazy circumstances they were in, that may have been a realistic portrayal of how someone might react.
I'm glad that others wanted Walt to succeed - certainly not to end the way he did, but it's all for the best since cancer would have gotten him in the end. What a role model for those dying of some incurable horrible disease!

I think my husband would have shared his life with me. Two people protecting the kids is better than one and if vengeful people really wanted to get the kids, they certainly would be able to in Hank's house. I also would not want to attract them to a relatives home.

It seems as though all the decisions that the writers made along the way did contribute to a more interesting story. I liked the way the writers, for a time, kept you wondering about certain characters - do we like them or not? Are they motivated by some sort of altruism or is this just part of a scheme? Gus was such a splendid bad guy. Gale, who seemed so angelic, turned out agreeable to getting rid of his mentor and taking his place.

Most of the ending of the characters had a satisfying feel to them, except for Mike. Mike seemed to have a code of honor that he stuck to and he really loved his little niece and wanted to leave her with something.

I can't wait to rewatch it. Maybe I'll let a little time pass - the entire 5th season is not out on dvd yet. It will be fun to see what my husband's reaction is. I'm not telling him about it, not wanting to spoil the effect.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:30 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,335,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
So I'm in Season 3 now, with Walter moving back in. When watching these for the first time, did EVERYBODY absolutely hate Skyler? I've hated her since the beginning.
I hated her from the beginning!

Old 10-10-2013, 09:38 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,335,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Yeah, I read that a lot of people for some reason did not react well to her. Maybe we are somehow in a strange way routing for Walter and we wish that she had not given up on him so quickly. Do you feel that way?
It wasn't because I was rooting for Walter. She just wasn't a likeable character from the start.

She was either whiny or stoic. None of her emotions seemed appropriate ever.

And she did look like a football player.

Old 10-10-2013, 11:41 AM

12,406 posts, read 19,023,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It wasn't because I was rooting for Walter. She just wasn't a likeable character from the start.

She was either whiny or stoic. None of her emotions seemed appropriate ever.

And she did look like a football player.
Sorry I spelled rooting wrong.

Yes. She did not seem to hit the proper mark to many people.

One additional thing that I did like was that none of the actors looked like aspiring young models. Most looked, to me, like real people. It was easier to see them as your family or neighbors. I know that 'Scandal' is a hit, but I gave up on the first episode because of that 'cute' star who was supposed to have all that experience. I like believable looking people and this show seemed to have them.

She was certainly a different person than Marie(Hank's wife). Marie and the son were very emotional in their parts and too much of that can ruin a show.

Maybe it was hard to play it somewhere in the middle. Perhaps initially she could have been more emotive and as she started to understand what she did and keep secrets, she could have become emotionally dead.

Some of this deals with a transformation of the characters and how they deal with what they've become.

Old 10-10-2013, 12:00 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,033 posts, read 6,572,494 times
I never really liked Skyler that much. But I can't say I hated her. Marie however, I hated throughout!

Old 10-10-2013, 12:53 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,108,036 times
So, Gus offers Walt $3 million for three months of making 200 pounds a week. But they had originally sold the 30 or so pounds for $1.2 million. Seems like a raw deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV