Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2013, 08:15 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,696,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
I think it'll be remembered exactly like The Sopranos and The Wire etc..Must see tv that people eventually put out of their minds.

My point is I imagine there is someone out there with a tattoo of a character from The Wire on their hand. And now 10 yrs later it seems stupid and outdated as hell. (Not that it ever seemed smart to begin with.)
I get your point on the tattoo and I agree with you.

There are shows that stuck around forever but I can't think of any that where made after 1980 (which I only know from reruns) so maybe its just wishful thinking on my part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2013, 11:31 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,173,185 times
Nobody remembers The Wire because hardly anybody watched it in the first place. I don't know many people that watched The Sopranos, either. But I know lots of people that love Breaking Bad. The show has tons of quotable lines, memorable characters and GIF-able scenes. It's not going to be forgotten. I watch a decent amount of tv and no show has ever affected me the way this one has. If shows like Buffy and The X-Files can still have a huge cult following, then BrBa certainly will.

I'll skip the tattoo though...

Old 10-07-2013, 01:33 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,633,927 times
Of course it won't be forgotten. No one said it would. No one has forgotten the Sopranos. But it's not a topic of conversation anymore, a Tony Soprano tattoo would not be cute or funny or topical today. People move on and they'll do the same with Walter White and Breaking Bad. That was my only point.

Unless you're just now in your mid twenties, it seems strange that you wouldn't know many people who have watched the Sopranos.

On a premium channel The Sopranos finale had more viewers than the Breaking Bad finale on a basic cable channel. Even tho' people had an opportunity to get caught up on Breaking Bad with Netflix in order to watch the final episodes on tv.

Which might not be saying much because both series finales were beaten by the 3rd season finale of The Walking Dead.

To say Buffy and the X-files have "huge cult followings" is really pushing it. Decent sized cult followings...maybe.

Old 10-07-2013, 04:37 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,093,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post
Nobody remembers The Wire because hardly anybody watched it in the first place. I don't know many people that watched The Sopranos, either.
My kids were born in the 80's and they both watched The Wire and The Sopranos.
My younger son was actually the one who told me to give The Wire another try and I am glad I did (I tried it and quit the first time because it was such gritty story-telling.) Neither program will ever be forgotten; both still have followings--it is immersive, quality television that does not need a GIF to be memorable (but no doubt both have plenty).
Quote:
But I know lots of people that love Breaking Bad. The show has tons of quotable lines, memorable characters and GIF-able scenes. It's not going to be forgotten. I watch a decent amount of tv and no show has ever affected me the way this one has. If shows like Buffy and The X-Files can still have a huge cult following, then BrBa certainly will.

I'll skip the tattoo though...
When I began watching Breaking Bad, it had rave reviews but was not yet 'water cooler' television. The show always felt like a graphic novel to me, fast-moving, visually absolutely stunning, replete with compelling characters. After mainstream media caught up with it, everybody else did.

If you like Breaking Bad, I wonder if you might like Deadwood. The pace is much slower, but very worthwhile. Anna Gunn was in both. I liked Deadwood so much I ended up buying the dvds.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:21 AM

Back when it came out on AMC it seemed kind of like a desperate move on their part, its hard to see now but they would have looked really bad if BB failed so I think a lot of thought went into it.

Being an American classic channel I'm wondering if it was engineered to stand up to time well. The use of payphones in the last few episodes stood out to me.

There are also some classic American movie homages in the show, Gus with half his face blown off was obviosly Terminater, The nazis talking about Bruce Willis in Hooper in the restuarant, which itself might have been a homage to Reservoir Dogs.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:53 AM

3,992 posts, read 5,189,919 times
So, was I the only one going through BB withdrawls last night?

Old 10-07-2013, 09:35 AM

3,999 posts, read 5,033,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
So, was I the only one going through BB withdrawls last night?
No, you weren't the only one!

I keep reminding myself that I don't have next season to wait for...so sad...but I think I've decided to buy all the seasons on DVD...eventually anyway. I'd like to have the behind the scenes info...now that would be really interesting!

Old 10-07-2013, 09:40 AM

^not me, I was satisfied with the ending.
I might just rewatch the fly episode as has been suggested and then wait on the Saul show.

Also a couple of posts back I meant Burt Reynolds in Hooper not Bruce Willis, don't know how I managed that, maybe I was thinking of Looper.

Old 10-07-2013, 10:04 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,270,280 times
As recommended, I watched all 7 seasons of The Shield on Amazon Prime. It was great!

Now what do Breaking Bad fans recommend?

I have Comcast On-Demand, Netflix and Amazon Prime.

(I don't really want to pay for Homeland yet.)

Old 10-07-2013, 10:05 AM

22,958 posts, read 28,393,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopes View Post
as recommended, i watched all 7 seasons of the shield. It was great.

Now what do breaking bad fans recommend?
justified

sons of anarchy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV