Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2013, 12:54 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,690,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You have to watch the last season. You can't imagine how it ends.
I'm thinking about getting either Netflix again or the Amazon prime which has free streaming video of a lot stuff, I think I saw an amazon advertisement for having all seasons of the Shield up on it now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 01:08 PM

22,922 posts, read 28,285,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendlyFeller View Post
I might check out Mad Men.
Mad Men is probably the single most over-rated show on TV. It's a soap opera pretending to be more, and I'm stunned that more people don't see through the pretense.

It is beautifully designed. It is a great looking show. The actors are great. The writing ... eh, not so much. It's a soap opera without a single likeable character. If I hear that someone has finally had enough and thrown Don Draper out his office window, I might tune in again. Or maybe if he donned a Batsuit and prowled the night fighting crime. Other than that ... Mad Men isn't worth your time.

Low Winter Sun? I watched the first episode and liked it well enough but haven't tuned in since. I might try it again once the whole season is done. I have a really hard time getting into a show by only watching it once a week. I prefer marathon viewings.

Old 10-07-2013, 01:31 PM

3,050 posts, read 4,994,730 times
Haha, I love Mad Men, but I would never recommend it in a Breaking Bad forum - talk about 2 shows that are polar opposites! I doubt there is much crossover between the fans.

I got through Low Winter Sun - excellent show. Just very difficult to get into. I doubt there will be a second season.

Old 10-07-2013, 02:25 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Quote:
I'm thinking about getting either Netflix again or the Amazon prime which has free streaming video of a lot stuff, I think I saw an amazon advertisement for having all seasons of the Shield up on it now.
I found it on Amazon. It's only available there. It's free with a Prime subscription.

Justified is there too. I just watched the first episode and like what I saw.

I'm going to try to control myself and only watch one or two episodes a day. LOL

Old 10-07-2013, 02:55 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,200,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post
Nobody remembers The Wire because hardly anybody watched it in the first place. I don't know many people that watched The Sopranos, either. But I know lots of people that love Breaking Bad. The show has tons of quotable lines, memorable characters and GIF-able scenes. It's not going to be forgotten. I watch a decent amount of tv and no show has ever affected me the way this one has. If shows like Buffy and The X-Files can still have a huge cult following, then BrBa certainly will.

I'll skip the tattoo though...
I'm not getting any TV show tattoos either, and the actual face tattoos are AWFUL, but I do agree with this. Walter White was a particular type of everyman character that went through a dramatic life change to become something quite unique and special. BB will live on. No cop, or gangster character could ever be as special as this because there have been so many incarnations of those characters over the years. Those shows will live on, but the characters don't stand out in the same way a "Walter White becoming Heisenberg," or "Buffy" does.

In any discussion of greatest TV shows The Wire, and The Sopranos are ALWAYS mentioned as revered, and not considered outdated at all. Breaking Bad is always on those lists and will likely be there for many years to come. It may not always be as "hip" as it is now, but true fans don't care about that. There are tons of serious fans who would will love these shows for the rest of their lives, and younger viewers who will love them as well. Sadly, really good TV shows don't come around that often.

Actually, after reading the constant praise for The Sopranos, I am giving it a watch. I'm still on the first season, it hasn't grabbed me quickly the way BB characters did, but it is a very well done show with great humor mixed with all the crazy drama.

Last edited by detshen; 10-07-2013 at 03:16 PM..

Old 10-07-2013, 03:20 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
Actually, after reading the constant praise for The Sopranos, I am giving it a watch. I'm still on the first season, it hasn't grabbed me quickly the way BB characters did, but it is a very well done show with great humor mixed with all the crazy drama.
Have you tried The Wire? It's about the real world, as real as it can get. The writers were journalists for Baltimore newspapers. Some of the actors were real people from the streets of Baltimore.

Old 10-07-2013, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Amazon has been getting exclusive rights to a few shows. They have Justified, The Shield, and Downton Abbey, but Netflix doesn't. Most of the other shows/movies are carried by both, I ended up getting Amazon Prime for my business, so it's a write off.

Old 10-07-2013, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Have you tried The Wire? It's about the real world, as real as it can get. The writers were journalists for Baltimore newspapers. Some of the actors were real people from the streets of Baltimore.
Yeah, I want to watch it. The problem is I am ridiculously spoiled by HD to the point where it's hard for me to watch standard def. The Wire is not in HD on HBO GO, so I'd have to get it on DVD.

Old 10-07-2013, 04:19 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,690,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
Amazon has been getting exclusive rights to a few shows. They have Justified, The Shield, and Downton Abbey, but Netflix doesn't. Most of the other shows/movies are carried by both, I ended up getting Amazon Prime for my business, so it's a write off.
I got the free 2 day shipping for 6 months because I'm student, It doesn't include the streaming video though.

I kind of want to watch Orange is the New Black too, maybe I'll get netflix just for while and then switch over to prime when my free shipping runs out.

I didn't even realize Lilyhammer was a netflix exclusive until I searched for Netflix exclusives today. I watched it a while back, I wonder if it is kind of an unofficiol Soprano's spinoff. Its the guy from the Sopranos still playing a mobster who moves to Norway in the witness protection program. Its a lot lighter than the Soprano's, kind of like the Saul show of the Soprano's in a way I guess. Wouldn't mind seeing the second season of it.

Old 10-07-2013, 06:09 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,089,772 times
My recommendations go something like this -
1. Breaking Bad
2. The Sopranos
3. The Wire
4. OZ
5. Dragon Ball Z
6. House of Cards
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV