Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2013, 06:36 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,998,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
My recommendations go something like this -
1. Breaking Bad
2. The Sopranos
3. The Wire
4. OZ
5. Dragon Ball Z
6. House of Cards
I like how you slipped #5 in there.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:28 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,212,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendlyFeller View Post
I got the free 2 day shipping for 6 months because I'm student, It doesn't include the streaming video though.

I kind of want to watch Orange is the New Black too, maybe I'll get netflix just for while and then switch over to prime when my free shipping runs out.

I didn't even realize Lilyhammer was a netflix exclusive until I searched for Netflix exclusives today. I watched it a while back, I wonder if it is kind of an unofficiol Soprano's spinoff. Its the guy from the Sopranos still playing a mobster who moves to Norway in the witness protection program. Its a lot lighter than the Soprano's, kind of like the Saul show of the Soprano's in a way I guess. Wouldn't mind seeing the second season of it.
I enjoyed Orange is the New Black. It was a little difficult at first because I had read the book which was based on a real experience. Much of the drama in the TV show was fictionalized, so I had to let it be a separate experience. House of Cards is another Netflix original. Both services have their plusses, and minuses. The nice thing about Netflix is you can pay by the month, and cancel anytime, whereas Prime is one time thing, but the shipping benefits are quite nice if one needs them.

A big plus for Netflix is Breaking Bad, Prime doesn't have it for free. I plan to start from the beginning and watch it again with my BFs account when I have some time this winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 08:46 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,276,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
I enjoyed Orange is the New Black. It was a little difficult at first because I had read the book which was based on a real experience. Much of the drama in the TV show was fictionalized, so I had to let it be a separate experience. House of Cards is another Netflix original. Both services have their plusses, and minuses. The nice thing about Netflix is you can pay by the month, and cancel anytime, whereas Prime is one time thing, but the shipping benefits are quite nice if one needs them.

A big plus for Netflix is Breaking Bad, Prime doesn't have it for free. I plan to start from the beginning and watch it again with my BFs account when I have some time this winter.
You can watch Orange is the New Black, as well as a lot of other programs, for free here:

Watch ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK Full Episodes Streaming Online For Free _ PUTLOCKERTVSHOWS

Here's a complete list of the shows they offer:

Putlocker TV SHOWS LIST _ PUTLOCKERTVSHOWS.ME

Here's another place to watch t.v. shows for free:

Project Free TV - Watch all your favorite tv shows and movies online free

Old 10-07-2013, 10:25 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,629,251 times
As far as I can tell netflix doesn't carry any HBO shows..On dvd maybe, but not streaming.

Old 10-08-2013, 05:30 AM

6,472 posts, read 8,216,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendlyFeller View Post
I didn't even realize Lilyhammer was a netflix exclusive until I searched for Netflix exclusives today. I watched it a while back, I wonder if it is kind of an unofficiol Soprano's spinoff. Its the guy from the Sopranos still playing a mobster who moves to Norway in the witness protection program. Its a lot lighter than the Soprano's, kind of like the Saul show of the Soprano's in a way I guess. Wouldn't mind seeing the second season of it.
It is only a Netflix exclusive outside Norway.

The second season will premiere this fall. The Sopranos was quality entertainment and easily one of the best TV shows ever. Lilyhammer is barely watchable.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:44 AM

1,205 posts, read 2,695,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
It is only a Netflix exclusive outside Norway.

The second season will premiere this fall. The Sopranos was quality entertainment and easily one of the best TV shows ever. Lilyhammer is barely watchable.
But Its Silvio, the mob guys that want to kill him that are never shown are obviously the Sopranos. They changed it up just enough so they can't get sued.

Its an ok show with some clever moments in my opinion. Of course its not going to be as good as the Sopranos but I still want to watch the second season.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:09 AM

3,990 posts, read 5,026,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendlyFeller;31709321[B
]^not me, I was satisfied with the ending[/b].
I might just rewatch the fly episode as has been suggested and then wait on the Saul show.

Also a couple of posts back I meant Burt Reynolds in Hooper not Bruce Willis, don't know how I managed that, maybe I was thinking of Looper.
I was very satisfied with the ending...I was just agreeing that I couldn't help that I wanted to see the fellas one last time...

That's funny about Hooper/Looper...both very entertaining movies!!

For new shows, how about:

Hell On Wheels
House of Cards
American Horror Story
SoA - OK, I know what you guys mean about you don't think it's going anywhere, but this season is preparing us for some really final. The last episode was a TRIP! Anyway, I've invested a lot of time in this show and am still compelled to watch even though my dreams are seriously twisted after I watch a show. GOOD GRIEF...

Old 10-08-2013, 09:09 AM

6,496 posts, read 6,711,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
Haha, I love Mad Men, but I would never recommend it in a Breaking Bad forum - talk about 2 shows that are polar opposites! I doubt there is much crossover between the fans.
Count me in as a fan of both. They are certainly completely different genres, and I would never say that Mad Men comes anywhere close to the greatness of BrBa, but I do enjoy MM very much. Sadly, I finished all the episodes on Netflix, and am trying to come up with a way to see Season 6 (before Season 7 airs) without forking out the $34.99 to buy it.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:16 AM

12,406 posts, read 19,004,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
. . . Walter White was a particular type of everyman character that went through a dramatic life change to become something quite unique and special. BB will live on. No cop, or gangster character could ever be as special as this because there have been so many incarnations of those characters over the years. Those shows will live on, but the characters don't stand out in the same way a "Walter White becoming Heisenberg," .
You nailed it there. Many of the characters started out in BB being very likable. Then we slowly see that there is another side to them. Jesse does not seem to be able to adapt to the life he's involved in, but in the end that seems to drive him into his own brand of madness.

It seems as though once you take a step into 'that' world your entire life changes. Who knows what Gus was when he was young and first started out in life?

I think Walter always was fond of Jessie. Part of Jessie's hatred of Walter, perhaps the straw that broke the camel's back, is that he thought Walt had set him up for a hit when Jessie was wired by the police and sent to the meeting that Walt had set up - and he was wrong about that.

Mike seems to have been the only one with consistent values.

I agree with previous posters that Hank was so enveloped with catching Heisenberg that he would have cared little of what became of Skylar. Walter told Hank that he had about six months left to live. I would have just turned the other way and allowed Walt's family to have the last days with him in whatever peace they could muster. He could have done that. His ego, knowing that HE finally caught the bad guy, drove him to bring Walter down with obvious disregard to Skylar and the kids - at least to my mind.

I watched a BB intensive, catching up on all episodes on Netflix and Comcast in a month. It's the best way to maintain a clear view of the chain of events, at least for me. My husband has not seen it. We are purchasing the entire production on DVD and I will watch it again with him.

I don't think I have ever seen a production that has affected me so much as BB. I don't like many such shows because the characters have no redeeming social value. The characters in many shows seem shallow, just ego driven, like the unsavory characters you sometimes meet in business.

The people in BB seem so very real. I could see a religious person moved to pray for them almost.

I feel for Walter, dying of cancer, who could have, but for a decision he made years back, left this life knowing his family was well provided for, and instead is leaving them with next to nothing. He, at first, just wants to cook enough to pay his medical bills and some extra for his kids' futures. One thing leads to another and before you know it, he becomes what he hates, taking Gus's position.

There really is an issue with this weekly episode models - people have difficulty following the continuity of events and even when there are recaps at times they are poorly chosen. It really was fun pigging out on all episodes in about a month.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:29 AM

6,496 posts, read 6,711,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post

Here's another place to watch t.v. shows for free:

Project Free TV - Watch all your favorite tv shows and movies online free
I tried a couple different ways to use this site, but it kept taking me to a page that required credit card info (it said my card wouldn't be charged. Ha! why would they ask for a CC# if they weren't going to charge me??)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV