Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2009, 07:14 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,774,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Ok tigerlily I went looking for a reason why a Maenad would want a dog but couldn't find one. Or Maryanne a shapeshifter. I did a little reading on green mythology and the pig just doesn't fit in anywhere. I did find this on a forum which is pretty interesting reading

so Tigerlily - give!

By ray on July 20, 2009 9:56 PM

I think there is a greek god theme going on here, doubt there is just one, with mythological creatures running all around .

Maryann is the god Pan, she was the creature that attacked Sookie. Pan, like Dionysus( the god of wine) could cause all those things, but the part is more like Pan. The creature looked just like Pan.

Don't think Carl is the pig since he was in one scene pouring soup or something when Andy noticed the pig. Daphne may be the pig. Eggs my be a Satyr, they follow Pan around, like the maenads.

Sarah is Aphrodite Pandemos the lusty one( Aphrodite had two sides, there were two of them) as was Amy her sister and Aphrodite Urania, spiritual one. Remember Sarah said her sister "Amber" (Amy) got hooked on V, and Amy wore a necklace with a dove on it which is a symbol for Aphrodite. Sarah was also a vegan like Amy.

Daphne is either a water nymph, a maenad, or a wereanimal of some sort, but is somehow connected to Maryann, due to the scratch marks on her back.I think Maryann is collecting them.

Tara is either the goddess Hera ( the picture over her bed in while she was staying in Maryann clients house was Hera)or the goddess Demeter, and does not know it. Remember how Jason saw her when he was on V pouring water with a crown of ivy on her head, a lot of hints to say she is if you watch close.

Jason may be Adonis, who was a lover of Aphrodite. I think he is to dumb to be Apollo. Sarah's husband may be Ares the god of war, he had a lot of guns and hates vamps. If Alan Ball is trying to stay some what close to actual history/mythology, Aphrodite had Ares and Adonis as lovers.

Arlene may be a witch ( like Daphne called her in Merlottes, when everyone was picking on Tara) or she is a Banchee, because she is always crying.

Sookie may be the goddess Psyche, play on words.

Anyway, that is just my thoughts on it.I may be wrong, but it sure is fun trying to figure it out.
So basically, the show is the Vampires vs. the Greek Gods?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 10:52 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,237,451 times
Default Greeks vs. Vamps

Well no - I think someone on another forum was trying to figure what the heck is going on with the Maryanne storyline and since Maryanne is some sort of mythological greek character they extrapolated that to see if Alan Ball and his writers are using greek mythology to inspire the story line since its not following the book.
That was written before knowing that Daphne is the pig and no one out there in my searches has been able to figure out the pig reference in relation to anything. I read the books but can't remember exactly...I don't think there was a pig in the books.

Old 08-02-2009, 12:25 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,265,981 times
Alan Ball is mixing his series characters with the book and with mythology. I read on a forum that in the book the Maenad appeared with a razor back hog and had a magic switch that inflicted poison. Also, that maenads usually traveled with pigs. Maybe that's the simple answer. Someone mentioned that the first time the pig was shown (the car accident with Tara) that it was actually a larger razorback hog. The pig Daphne turns into is smaller.

Old 08-02-2009, 07:29 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,237,451 times
Well I looked up Bulls Head and got Minatour which doesn't seem to have anything to do with Maenads.
I'm sort of tired of this. Reading and trailers tell me this thread doesn't end soon but I wish that gun that Sam pulled out would end it

Old 08-02-2009, 08:34 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,645,816 times
Oh my gawd!!!! Next weeks episode looks sooo awesome! Its all out war! Eric offering to sacrifice himself to save Godric?

Old 08-02-2009, 09:56 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,265,981 times
Wow, was I wrong about the preacher's wife. I think Maryanne is a composite of different mythological characters. We had some control issues tonight: Bill's maker can't control him, and Maryanne can't control Sam. Also, it looks like the pig has left the building. LOL. The preacher said there will be a burning. Will it be Eric or will the tables be turned? I can see the vamps staking the preacher. Does anybody have a clue why Andy, the deputy, was immune to participation in the sex party? I think Eggs is going to take care of Andy.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:25 PM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,294,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
Does anybody have a clue why Andy, the deputy, was immune to participation in the sex party? I think Eggs is going to take care of Andy.

Thats the same question I asked my wife when Daphene and Sam were talking on the dock. I was wondering why Andy Belfor was immune to those powers that Marriane has.

Old 08-02-2009, 11:05 PM

2,410 posts, read 6,009,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
... Does anybody have a clue why Andy, the deputy, was immune to participation in the sex party?

This is only a guess, but maybe it was because he came into the party while Marriane was distracted with the almost sacrifice of Sam. He wasn't pulled in, because she just didn't notice that he had stumbled onto the scene, until he fired his gun and distracted everyone.
It's the only thing I can think of since in previous episodes he was just as affected as everyone else.

Old 08-04-2009, 05:09 AM

1,842 posts, read 1,769,013 times
I don't know about the rest of you but I never would have guessed that the female vampire's human lover was the traitor. My money was on the vamp that used to play Stark on Eureka. Looks like the next episode could be the last for the preacher's wife. I think Jason may have to kill her. And it also looks like Tara could be waking up and seeing Maryanne for what she truly is. Either way the chips fall it's gonna be GOOD. Can't wait for sunday

Old 08-04-2009, 05:36 AM

10 posts, read 7,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
My husband and I are in love with this show We are quickly watching all the old shows so we can watch the new show Sunday in Las Vegas at our hotel It is great to find a sexy show that we both are mental for
You don't need to blow off your holiday to watch this show as you can watch true blood online .So its better to watch it after instead of knock off it now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV