Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2018, 09:27 AM

566 posts, read 391,069 times

Advertisements

Dollar General breaks ground on distribution center in Longview - KLTV.com - Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville |ETX News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2018, 03:53 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,087,407 times
Yep I suppose, why not put Longview news on here. Longview worked hard for this one. Tyler, not.lol
Good jobs for the area.

Old 02-09-2018, 07:50 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,141,786 times
It sucks that Tyler is growing so much...at this rate, it will have completely lost that laid back small town feel that drew people to it in the first place, within a few decades.

Old 02-09-2018, 08:39 PM

Yes, this is so true, then why do I encourage people to Tyler? lol Partly because I DO like it well, compared to MOST places in TEXAS.

But yeah, I get the responses of, wow, it LOOKS so much larger than the stated population, or well, it really IS congested, I say, um, yeah, not lack of planning but leaders have NEVER "all out" encouraged or promoted growth, so leaders thought if no, overpasses, let alone freeways were built, this congested "FEEL" would discourage growth, well, in reality it has grown, at least to certain degree, and we have the resulted "appearance" of FAILURE to plan, nope, not the case.

Then I've read or heard don't remember which, I NEVER expected shy scrapers. We do have "short ones" but it does make us look like more people live here. But it's growing fairly slowly compared to mega metros, has made ME, I think, not realize the growth, as compared to someone that's left for years, or a few years and returned. Oh, well, my guess if Tyler had "pursed" growth as a "goal" Tyler would be 75 to 100 square miles rather than the 50 sq miles and would have "lured" more companies to Tyler and it could easily have been 200,000 - 250,000. Now of COURSE this would have been with a "focus" change to growth, starting back in the 1960's. Tyler was sorta pro growth thru the 1950's.

Old 02-09-2018, 09:49 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,141,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Senior View Post
Yes, this is so true, then why do I encourage people to Tyler? lol Partly because I DO like it well, compared to MOST places in TEXAS.

But yeah, I get the responses of, wow, it LOOKS so much larger than the stated population, or well, it really IS congested, I say, um, yeah, not lack of planning but leaders have NEVER "all out" encouraged or promoted growth, so leaders thought if no, overpasses, let alone freeways were built, this congested "FEEL" would discourage growth, well, in reality it has grown, at least to certain degree, and we have the resulted "appearance" of FAILURE to plan, nope, not the case.

Then I've read or heard don't remember which, I NEVER expected shy scrapers. We do have "short ones" but it does make us look like more people live here. But it's growing fairly slowly compared to mega metros, has made ME, I think, not realize the growth, as compared to someone that's left for years, or a few years and returned. Oh, well, my guess if Tyler had "pursed" growth as a "goal" Tyler would be 75 to 100 square miles rather than the 50 sq miles and would have "lured" more companies to Tyler and it could easily have been 200,000 - 250,000. Now of COURSE this would have been with a "focus" change to growth, starting back in the 1960's. Tyler was sorta pro growth thru the 1950's.
Yeah...as someone who has left and comes back regularly the changes are evident and abundant...some for the better. But as someone who has also lived in massive cities before (like yourself), id be lying if I said I didnt see the writing on the wall for the direction tyler is headed. It will be another non-descript mish mash of outsiders and transplants in no time, at this rate. Everytime I go back, I see more panhandlers standing in the medians....this used to not be the case.

Old 02-10-2018, 03:52 AM

https://tylerpaper.com/news/local/ch...bdcd3c6a7.html

Old 02-10-2018, 08:48 AM

Wow, far more to this than was first presented. I'm NOW really curious how "receptive" helpful, "supported" the area will be to such a project. A completely different culture, on a fairly large scale? Also, I don't think this could be built on this smaller amount of land. However, next to this land, there is about, as I remember it, 600 acres available. I'm referring to all the land across the loop from the theaters North to the railroad tracks and NW to Highway 31, this was all planned for development about 8 -10 years ago before the near collapse of the U.S. economy. As all things, time will tell on this mega dream.

Old 02-10-2018, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Senior View Post
Wow, far more to this than was first presented. I'm NOW really curious how "receptive" helpful, "supported" the area will be to such a project. A completely different culture, on a fairly large scale? Also, I don't think this could be built on this smaller amount of land. However, next to this land, there is about, as I remember it, 600 acres available. I'm referring to all the land across the loop from the theaters North to the railroad tracks and NW to Highway 31, this was all planned for development about 8 -10 years ago before the near collapse of the U.S. economy. As all things, time will tell on this mega dream.
If this comes to fruition, there will be nothing like this in Tyler or East Tx. This will blow the Westside of Tyler up. I've always said that Westside is a gold mine if we can get someone with some guts to step out there comfort zone. I believe we found that someone and it just so happens to be an outsider. I hope this becomes an reality. It will forever change the landscape of Tyler. This is just a start for that side of town. Others will follow suit. 1.6 billion dollars investment in Tyler is unheard of.

Old 02-10-2018, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevon Green View Post
If this comes to fruition, there will be nothing like this in Tyler or East Tx. This will blow the Westside of Tyler up. I've always said that Westside is a gold mine if we can get someone with some guts to step out there comfort zone. I believe we found that someone and it just so happens to be an outsider. I hope this becomes an reality. It will forever change the landscape of Tyler. This is just a start for that side of town. Others will follow suit. 1.6 billion dollars investment in Tyler is unheard of.
You stated your comment so well. I could not agree with you more. I think Tyler officials "jaws are dropping" right now in disbelief. I just HOPE Tyler will, as I said before support this. There is so many facets to this proposal that would be a win/win for Tyler in SO many ways, least of which is not the HUGE property tax revenue that the city is so EXTREMELY in need "of". The "ball" has simply been, well gingerly "placed" in Tyler official's hands, the question is, again, I can't overstate, what "the heck" will they do with this, fumble right off to another willing team (CITY), with their mouths wide open and hands held straight out to "catch the ball" Actually mega bonanza, JOCKPOT?

Just think how this COULD help the medical community, and spreading well beyond Tyler. U.T.T. as well.

Old 02-16-2018, 07:59 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevon Green View Post
And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why my husband and I bought a home in Chandler a couple of years ago, just west of Tyler. We saw all the infrastructure development on the west loop and thought "Hmmmm..." and already our property values have grown at a faster rate than Tyler in general.

Chandler is already putting in another major road, a hotel, Christus TMF is expanding it's clinic substantially, and several developers have plans to build homes in various sizes near the new road as it's completed.

We will no longer be a "one light town!" LOL

Eight miles from West Loop 323. I love it out here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler