Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 06:42 AM

1 posts, read 1,275 times

Advertisements

The moores of Spain had been to the islands, hundreds of years before the conquistadors "discovered" the americas. They brought trade, irrigation, and Islam to South America and parts of North America in the 1100's, nearly 350 years before Christopher Colombus and queen Isabella duped everyone and manipulated history. History as we know it is a lie. We are all brothers and sisters being oppressed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2017, 06:58 AM

2,481 posts, read 2,236,097 times
Well, if you are going to espouse your strong convictions and theories like this, and I am not saying they are incorrect..
The least you can do is spell the name of the people you are referring to correctly..i.e. The Moors.

Old 01-12-2018, 06:44 AM

1 posts, read 1,034 times
Default Arab/Puero Rican

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
So like a good PR boy, I always understood that I am foremost Spanish, and likely have Taino and African blood in me, because that is what we are told PRs major influences were. Of course there were a variety of other settlers, including varying Europeans, Asians, Jews, etc, but the Spanish/Taino/African mix is the most abundant (for lack of a better word). That being said, I recently took a dna test to get some insight into my lineage, and discovered that I am basically 100% Arab (a mix of different Arab populations), and that the region of the world that I am most similar to, genetically, is not Latin America (or any Latin American country) or Europe, it is Mesopotamia (Iran/Iraq areas). In fact, my closest genetic relatives are the Kurds in Northern Iraq. So my questions are these: Both my parents are from PR, as are my grandparents, however I have virtually NO Spanish/European, Taino, or African influence of any substance, and am basically 100% of Arab descent. How is this possible? Is this common? How large was/is the middle eastern influence in Puerto Rico historically? Could PR be surpressing the role of middle eastern migration for some reason or maybe just doesn't know how large a role it played?

Im 73 yrs old and grew up being told by my dad and uncle from Rincon PR that they had a woman in their family that was from Syria. I've been researching this but with no luck. Also my grandmother was born in 1878 and she often told me of the she would buy merchandise from the Arab traders that travelled through the countryside in Trujillo Alto, PR.

Old 01-12-2018, 11:32 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Teller View Post
The moores of Spain had been to the islands, hundreds of years before the conquistadors "discovered" the americas. They brought trade, irrigation, and Islam to South America and parts of North America in the 1100's, nearly 350 years before Christopher Colombus and queen Isabella duped everyone and manipulated history. History as we know it is a lie. We are all brothers and sisters being oppressed.
Oh, what? Because the ignorant natives couldn't figure out how to do that on their own? They needed some Moorish "massahs" to show them how to do it, and subjugate them with a foreign religion no less?

Brothers and sister being oppressed. Hah!

Old 01-12-2018, 12:54 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,236,097 times
Well, the Moors really got around according to Dennis Hopper.
Warning: NSFW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsIEAipTNbE

Old 01-12-2018, 06:29 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,145,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Teller View Post
Sounds like "We wuz kangz" and "we wuz here first". Really?

Old 06-30-2018, 05:19 AM

1 posts, read 829 times
Default Wepa!

Hey
I took a dna too. I have about a 10% Middleeastern. Also TIran/Saudi genes.
Many Muslims did come to PR. With Chrusty Colombus and were expelled from Spain. There was a big migration to PR in the 1950s also. If i could show you my boys- they get asked all the time if they are arab. They just say yes now with lots of stuff sprinkled in. There are large communities today in Rio Piedras, San Juan, Ponce , Caguas etc.
You are still Boricua.

Old 07-10-2018, 06:11 PM
mym

706 posts, read 1,171,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marielvalera View Post
Im 73 yrs old and grew up being told by my dad and uncle from Rincon PR that they had a woman in their family that was from Syria. I've been researching this but with no luck. Also my grandmother was born in 1878 and she often told me of the she would buy merchandise from the Arab traders that travelled through the countryside in Trujillo Alto, PR.
There was a Lebanese bakery in Rincon at the entrance to the town. it had a cedar tree painted on it.

Now it could also be that the 'Arabs' your family spoke of were actually Jews. They were most likely to live in the mountains for safety from the spanish government. Mathias Brugman was a Dutch Jew.

thank you for your story

Old 07-11-2018, 06:48 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,108,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mym View Post
There was a Lebanese bakery in Rincon at the entrance to the town. it had a cedar tree painted on it.

Now it could also be that the 'Arabs' your family spoke of were actually Jews. They were most likely to live in the mountains for safety from the spanish government. Mathias Brugman was a Dutch Jew.

thank you for your story
Yep, right next to Pizza Town if I recall correctly. I'm not sure if it's still there though.

Many people forget that under Spanish rule there was no freedom of religion, you had to be Catholic or else. Protestants and non-Christians had to practice in secret.

Old 07-12-2018, 05:29 PM
mym

706 posts, read 1,171,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Yep, right next to Pizza Town if I recall correctly. I'm not sure if it's still there though.

Many people forget that under Spanish rule there was no freedom of religion, you had to be Catholic or else. Protestants and non-Christians had to practice in secret.
it's still a bakery just not owned by the Lebanese family anymore. Someone told me they started a new business in town but i dont know anymore what it is.

yeah you'd expect people to know that there was no religious freedom under spanish rule but then again nobody expects the spanish inquisition

i'll show myself out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories