Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 01:09 PM

12 posts, read 51,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
I like Puerto Rico and all but I do not think it is the best country. Nobody does it like NYC. NYC is the best city of the world.
Apples and Oranges

I reside in the bronx but from LI, and I lived in PR. I can tell you pound for pound puerto ricans from PR not NY-ricans, get down

But that's all just sh*t talking
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 01:12 PM

12 posts, read 51,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva Luna View Post
I just came back from Puerto Rico and fell in love. I am currently planning a move to the island and get away from the rat race called Los Angeles. Even with the recession PR is going thru I know that it has to be better than being a robot and working in a city where the only thing close to paradise a clear freeway at 6pm.

That is so true. The rat race here is crazy.

Old 11-08-2009, 12:02 PM

411 posts, read 468,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay_jay26 View Post
QFT!

I lived there most of my life and although is one of the most beautiful places in the world (sorry, but I cannot find beaches more beautiful than the ones from PR), it is also one of the worst to live in. The quality of life is terrible; tons of domestic violence (at least every two weeks a young woman is killed by her spouse, ex spouse or partner), crime, at least three murders a day, corruption, and tons of old people who still thinks this crappy status (free association) is awesome. I mean the free association crap wins by a short margin over statehood (say 46% versus 45.7% as an example) is all because of all those old farts who aren't in a hurry to die anytime soon. Younger people don't like voting, and it gets on my nerves!

Free association is bull crap. The biggest lie ever told to mankind. I prefer PR to be either state 51 or a totally independent country. PR has a very substantial liquor industry that, if more investors put more money on it, could be the motor of a very powerful economy. The real problem? Destruction of agriculture; most lands destined for agriculture are being used to build more useless houses.

These days I live in Norfolk, Virginia. Since I grew up, partly, in North Carolina, living in here feels familiar to me.

Something I do like from Puerto Rico? People from the countryside, are super kind. Maybe that's why I like the south so much; people are so nice and so kind in here.

Why people from San Juan and most metropolitan cities are so acid? For the same reason people from NYC; big cities are rotten places that makes you cranky.

You are more or less on target, yes there is significant domestic violence, and drug crime. The people, foo, and beaches are great, when it comes to
politics you are completely misguided. It is not up to the islanders to decide for their status, they have had some mock referendums, but none have been supported with congressional sponsorship. In fact in over 110 years of association with the US, not a single vote in favor of discussion
for PR statehood, has been made, forget any real discussion in congress,
portorricans are well aware that their votes for statehood means nothing
until congress offers some comittment to move based on the results, which appears far fetched, you bet that if given the congressional support, in a state vs independence vote, it will be 90% statehood.....

Old 11-08-2009, 06:11 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
On my way back from Miami I sat next to a man from Puerto Rico who talked it up and how I should visit it for my next trip.
If you want to go to a VERY underrated place = Venezuela.
Venezuela has never worked on their tourism industry because of the oil wealth.
Still, Venezuela is the country with the longest caribbean coastline (1800 miles, same as the US gulf of Mexico coastline), 70 small islands through the caribbean and the Andes mountain range runs along the coastline and look similar to the area North of San Francisco, except that the water is warm and there's no white sharks.

These are the 2 places that I hope to visit someday in Venezuela:

Los Roques

Angel Falls

And the best beach I've ever been to = Cata

Old 11-09-2009, 12:17 AM

331 posts, read 672,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
On my way back from Miami I sat next to a man from Puerto Rico who talked it up and how I should visit it for my next trip. He said the women are gorgeous but if they see you even glance at another woman, they will go for the jugular. When I was in the keys, a puerto rican girl was talking about the island as well. When I landed back in Chicago, this latina friend of mine said that Puerto Ricans always talk up Puerto Rico to make is sound bigger and better than it really is. Is this true? Would the Dominican Repulbic be better to visit? What do you think?
The old rule of thumb for travelling, never set your expectations too high. That way you'll never be disapointed, and probably pleasently surprised.

Most places never live up to the hype, ever. Nostalgia has a funny way of making places seem better than the reality. Go to Florida and listen to all the NY'ers rant and rave about NYC. If it was so great to them, why did they move then? Get my point?

Old 11-18-2009, 04:00 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
I've never been to Puerto Rico, but I have been to the Dominican Republican - and LOVED it.

I never heard of anyone saying a person should go to Puerto Rico. Usually the opposite, go somewhere else in the Carribbean. Never heard anyone say the Dominican Republic either.

Don't know, but I use to live in New York City and I'm white. I always felt the Dominicans were cooler and easier to be around. I use to live in Washington Heights for awhile, and later made a move to Williamsburg in Brooklyn.

When I was in Williamsburg, and granted there were young euro hipsters all over the place...but I could always feel the tension being white - my neighborhood was actually south of the hip area fairly planted into Puerto Rican Williamsburg.

I never felt that kind of tension in Washington Heights among Dominicans.

I still don't know if that was hipster-dom encroaching on their hood...OR, my other theory is that Puerto Ricans had been in NYC pre-Civil Rights era, so their is some anti-white sentiment to some degree because people from 'back in the day' before blacks had more rights, and darker-skinned Puerto Ricans were somehow labeled as 'black' or who knows what.

Anyways, no matter the racial dynamics on the American front, generally in my experience, when you are in the home turf, people there never dealt with the historical bizarre race relations of America, and are generally more cool in general.

ANYWAYS, Dominican Republic was REALLY cool to me, loved it. I'd imagine Puerto Rico is certainly worth the trip, although I'm the same as I've never received encouragement to go, usually the opposite, that I shouldn't go.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:43 PM

543 posts, read 999,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latin King View Post
You are more or less on target, yes there is significant domestic violence, and drug crime. The people, foo, and beaches are great, when it comes to
politics you are completely misguided. It is not up to the islanders to decide for their status, they have had some mock referendums, but none have been supported with congressional sponsorship. In fact in over 110 years of association with the US, not a single vote in favor of discussion
until congress offers some comittment to move based on the results, which appears far fetched, you bet that if given the congressional support, in a state vs independence vote, it will be 90% statehood.....
they cannot do anything until the people of PR take a decision. if people from the island keep on with this "ball game", they'll keep with their lack of support.

is not that the congress doesn't want to, is that the people from the island doesn't want to.

Old 11-19-2009, 04:30 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,105,281 times
Quote:
they cannot do anything until the people of PR take a decision. if people from the island keep on with this "ball game", they'll keep with their lack of support.

is not that the congress doesn't want to, is that the people from the island doesn't want to.
Exactly, because they (the people of Puerto Rico) keep voting for the status quo (and remaining a colonial possession). They have nothing to lose and lots to gain by becoming the 51st state.

Old 11-19-2009, 06:53 AM

758 posts, read 2,240,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latin King View Post
WRONG WRONG WRONG.

Congress has continually backed referendums for Puerto Ricans to decide the future of their status. If the island voted to become a state, it would still need to be approved by Congress, but it would pass by an overwhelming majority!

Old 11-19-2009, 07:46 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,176,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
my other theory is that Puerto Ricans had been in NYC pre-Civil Rights era, so their is some anti-white sentiment to some degree because people from 'back in the day' before blacks had more rights, and darker-skinned Puerto Ricans were somehow labeled as 'black' or who knows what.
PUERTO RICANS http://www.pagestream.org/help/PGSuser/Characters/NotEqual.GIF (broken link)NEWYORRICANS. Newyorrican culture is closer to African-American culture than Puerto Rican culture.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUPvGbBS30g

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelaldo View Post
WRONG WRONG WRONG.

Congress has continually backed referendums for Puerto Ricans to decide the future of their status. If the island voted to become a state, it would still need to be approved by Congress, but it would pass by an overwhelming majority!
Congress likes the status quo. They can give independence to PR unilaterally, but if they do, they will be a backlash from PRicans in the US and that will be political suicide. If PR became a state, it would be a money drain for the US Treasury. The Democrats are the only ones that might give PR Statehood, since that will mean another 6 Democrat Representatives and 2 Senators in Congress and they really don't care about raising taxes and spending taxpayer's money as long as they can buy some votes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories