Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 06:06 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,009,690 times

Advertisements

I'm having the state pay for my school + getting unemployment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 06:23 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,694,785 times
My husband was denied unemployment because he went back to school.

Old 06-02-2009, 06:42 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,030,832 times
It varies from state to state. You need to check your specific state rules. And it also depends on what you are going to school for. Some will allow certain training programs but not college, others will allow nothing, others are liberal and will allow almost anything but basketweaving.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:54 AM

1,181 posts, read 3,806,956 times
I was able to go to school here in California while on unemployment. In the interview they asked what times my classes were (online ) and what the normal hours were for the jobs you have held in last years before being laid off. Since mine were online there was no issue as I was available for work at any hour. Take online classes if you can. No conflict.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:43 PM

2 posts, read 38,006 times
In the state of Ky. you are allowed to go to school, while collecting unemployment benefits. However it is on a case by case basis. I also agree with KarlaT2, that online courses are not nearly as problematic as actually attending classes. Taking courses online does not interfere with your avalibility for work.

Last edited by Glorieroad; 07-23-2009 at 12:56 PM..

Old 07-23-2009, 01:49 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,834,062 times
as long as you are available for full time employment, and also, as long as you report on your claim each time you request benefits that you are going to school/training.

Old 04-12-2010, 12:33 PM

16 posts, read 76,580 times
You can still take online courses and collect unemployment. I was told this mainly because online courses are available usually 24 hrs a day 7 days a week, and most people that do work can access these classes anytime. Unlike bricks and mortar class schedules, they do not interfere with job searches.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:50 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,046,091 times
Default NJ only

You can collect unemployment & go to school in NJ. There are several programs. All require individual interviews & applications. Whether or not you can take online courses varies with counties [!]. In most programs you do not have to be available for work when it is an approved program & you are making satisfactory progress. What is approved varies with the programs. Some programs don't get their $ from the state if they don't place you. They all have different criteria & application processes. They are worth jumping through hoops for, but the devil is in the details.

I took 2 courses under tuition waiver. I was not required to look for work while making required progress, but I did anyway. You never know when a good job becomes available.

From NJ DOL website:

Smart STEPS The Supplemental Workforce Development Benefits Program (Smart STEPS) provides replacement Work First New Jersey (WFNJ) cash assistance and support services benefits for individuals pursing a two- or four-year degree granting program from an accredited college or university. WFNJ recipients can participate fully in their college education without worrying about the WFNJ time limit and work requirements. More
Trade Assistance Act Designed to provide reemployment services to workers who have lost jobs as a result of imports from overseas and shifts of production to other countries due to foreign completion. Eligible workers may also receive classroom and on-the-job-training, trade readjustment allowances (TRA), and relocation and job search payments. More

Workforce Development Partnership Act (WDP) Provides individual training grants of up to $4,000 to dislocated and displaced workers. While in training you can still collect your unemployment insurance and may be eligible for additional benefits while in training. More
Workforce Investment Act (WIA) Provides training grants to eligible disadvantaged and dislocated workers. These grants average about $4,000 to cover the cost of tuition and you can continue to collect unemployment insurance, welfare or food stamps while you attend school. More

Federal Pell Grant Program The Federal Pell Grant Program provides need-based grants to low-income undergraduate and certain post-baccalaureate students to promote access to postsecondary education. More
Career Advancement Voucher Program (CAVP) Provides an education or training opportunity for post-Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF) recipients who are employed. If eligible, you can receive a voucher for up to $4,000 to cover the cost of tuition. More
Tuition Waiver This program is a joint effort with the Department of Labor and Workforce Development (LWD) and the Commission on Higher Education. A Tuition Waiver enables eligible unemployed customers to enroll, tuition free, in an appropriate course of instruction at public colleges and universities in New Jersey. The course should provide you with identifiable skills that will lead to gainful employment. The tuition free courses can only be attended if such course has vacant seats. More

Old 04-13-2010, 06:00 AM

160 posts, read 375,416 times
I have a BS degree in political science (totally useless). Last time I lost my job (in 2001), NJ UI said a degree was as "skill" and I did not qualify for re-training. Now I'm out of work again, but have saved up enough cash to pay for a "fast track" medical certification at a local community college. (Yes, it's a high-demand field and no, I have not enrolled yet). I know the state won't pay for it...I don't expect them to. My question is however; will I qualify for UI benefits if I'm attending school at night or should I just claim I'm not attending school at all? Technically, I can still look for work during the day, and If I did get a job, could continue to go to school at night. Has anyone experienced a similar situation?

Old 04-13-2010, 06:35 AM

154 posts, read 535,548 times
Boardwalk: I don't at all want to sound discouraging but I must ask- how have you determined that this medical certification is indeed in a high-demand field? The medical field is being touted as a high growth field but believe it or not I have friends who are being laid off in this field. And, if they are not being laid off they are not being offered full-time work. Plus, I volunteer in a medical setting and, believe it or not, some of the newer employees have been let go due to lack of work. Just thought that I should lay all the cards on the table, and dispel some of the myths (in my opinion, they are myths) about what the media says regarding opportunities in the medical field these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment