Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 05:26 PM

149 posts, read 345,066 times

Advertisements

I went on several interviews. So I asked one hiring manager how many resumes did they get for this particular job, 250 RESUMES FOR ONE JOB!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 05:32 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,502,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySue1959 View Post
I went on several interviews. So I asked one hiring manager how many resumes did they get for this particular job, 250 RESUMES FOR ONE JOB!!!
In the past year and half Sue, I have gone on about 4 interviews. They all said the same thing. They were overwhelmed with resumes. They couldn`t keep up with them.

Old 04-01-2010, 05:34 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,502,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melunik View Post
Hate to disillusion you, but it is tough to even get into the military right now. And although you think of reg gov jobs as secure, they too are making cutbacks, closing programs and cancelling fundings. But even if they were opportunities available, once your over 30, your considered too old for the military and will have an extremely hard time entering the govt positions. There seems to be a lot of concern right now for the "younger generation" not being able to find summer work, maybe the focus should be on their parents finding work since they are the ones supporting most of these high school and college students anyway...

I am a single (widowed) mom and have worked my whole life since I was 14. I live in an area where the nearest "industrial center" is almost an hour away. Between me and there, there is one mall and maybe 5 gas stations, 2 supermarkets (one closing), a McDonalds, one Wendys and maybe a couple of family owned construction type businesses. Thats it. So fine you say, travel to the city, I was. Problem is, I and everyone else in the 150 mile surrounding area is going there too. There just aren't enough jobs for everyone there. Not everyone can become police, military or even day laborers. This Sunday in the Richmond Times Dispatch there was not even 3 pages of help wanted ads, and what was there, were mostly large ads taking up at least half of that space and medical or truck drivers. Again, not something just anyone can do. Plus there is a reason for so many trucker ads, the gas is so high and the jobs aren't paying enough to cover the costs which ends up getting handed down to the trucker. My Dad had a trucking co since 1968. He needed to come off the road last year, not because of health or age.... purely due to the cost of gas and not enough money for the jobs to cover.

Oh and I forgot the other job opp that is actually pretty abundant right now... Insurance sales. So you go to work for a company that will not pay you a salary, just commission and then try to get Americans to buy some sort of insurance they dont really need and try to convince them it is worth the money they too dont have right now because one spouse or both are not working... That'll work!

Get real. And the next person that makes a stupid comment like "people are happy to stay on unemployment and get money for free" aught to be shot. NO ONE wants to get laid off, lose their home, savings, car, everything they have worked 20 or 40 years for just to sit home (if they are lucky enough to still have one) and revel in the $300 or less they are getting a week. YOU try to support a family on that in these days and THEN let us all know how well it works out for you.

I personally am actually out of unemployment since the end of Feb. So tell me, WHAT is my incentive for not finding a job??? Duh.
I agree with everything you wrote.

Old 04-01-2010, 07:15 PM

189 posts, read 647,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melunik View Post
Hate to disillusion you, but it is tough to even get into the military right now. And although you think of reg gov jobs as secure, they too are making cutbacks, closing programs and cancelling fundings. But even if they were opportunities available, once your over 30, your considered too old for the military and will have an extremely hard time entering the govt positions.
not correct the cut off date for the army is 42 it was changed in 2006

Old 04-01-2010, 09:00 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,047,654 times
Default Answers to "Dependent Unemployed"

I wasn't sure where to post this. It is an article from the Heritage Foundation. I didn't post it to cause a furor - what interested me were the good replies. I was glad to see unemployed going to articles on the other side of the issue and posting reasoned responses --

Two Years of UI Benefits Contributing to High Unemployment | The Foundry: Conservative Policy News.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:48 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,547,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlowkey View Post
Yeah thats what the Repubs said. America is in for some rough times.
Yep, mission accomplished in 2000, and the wheels keep falling off.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:00 PM

2 posts, read 3,712 times
Sure that may be what they say, but I know people younger than 30 that are being turned away at this time (or should I say stongly discouraged) due to the overwhelming run of all the unempolyed to join. Even they cant afford to "hire" everyone. So it may say 42, but try to get in, it won't happen! And most of us that are 42 or close to it would physically not be able to get in anyway!

Old 04-01-2010, 11:08 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,741,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlowkey View Post
JP Morgan just released a bogus report stating that unemployment benefits dot help the unemployed.

The Republicans are going to give the Democrats HELL over any extensions or anything else related to helping people: they are hopping mad about the passage of the Health Care Bill and they will obstruct at every chance they get.

So, for all you folks on Tier 4, get ready, because when that ends, I am sure there wont be any more. It will be a cold day in HELL before a Tier 5 is allowed.

That's the sad truth.

Oh and does anyone remember, months after 9/11, the Republicans REFUSED to extend benefits for those unemployed in New York because "they didnt want to encourage laziness."

Yeah, um, the Party of "NO"
You can blame one party all you want for not getting you more handouts, but what happens if you demand jobs from the party in power?

I would think the solution to being unemployed is not to be given years of government handouts but a JOB. Is your party doing that for you?

Old 04-01-2010, 11:16 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,739,374 times
That Foundry article is typical of the ignorance we are up against.
My wife is an unemployed teacher, her tier 4 ran out today so the "savings deletion" clock has started. I give us about 6 months if things don't change....
There is no light at the end of the tunnel either. Another 120 teachers and staff getting the Axe, the 3-6 years experience catagory-in the paper today.
I knew that this economic disaster was coming in 2005. We saved, we scrimped, and we waited 6 long years to buy a home until 2008 and didn't overpay like many. Unfortunately unless we stop eating and turn off the lights our savings will dwindle each month until it's gone. On top of that every week there is another X,XXX,XXX barrels of surplus oil yet the price continues to go up up up....
The sad part is that if we go under, we are better prepared then most our age...where will the nation be then?
Responsible leaders would know when the time comes to ease the perpetual suffering and say "uncle", time to start over....but do we have any?

This perspective that the unemployed are all milking the system has to change. According to random internet info, as of the end of 2009, 130,000 teachers have lost their jobs. 40% plus of the jobs in the construction industry have vanished. We can all agree that there are always that 3-4% of people that just can't get or keep a job, represented by an equivelent unemployment rate during good times...but that still leaves about 13% of the unemployed being good hardworking people that have no opportunity for work. Many will take any work, only to be turned down for flipping burgers because of being overqualified/too much experience/too old...Many of these people didn't buy a home-cars-boats-toys-etc-that they couldn't afford, but now are the victims of the recession with no job.
That anyone would want to cut off the lifeline for such people is nothing short of criminal. Especially when you consider that many of us have paid into our states unemployment comp programs for years and NEVER used them....

Last edited by rkcarguy; 04-01-2010 at 11:28 PM..

Old 04-02-2010, 08:03 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,741,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
This perspective that the unemployed are all milking the system has to change. According to random internet info, as of the end of 2009, 130,000 teachers have lost their jobs. 40% plus of the jobs in the construction industry have vanished. We can all agree that there are always that 3-4% of people that just can't get or keep a job, represented by an equivelent unemployment rate during good times...but that still leaves about 13% of the unemployed being good hardworking people that have no opportunity for work. Many will take any work, only to be turned down for flipping burgers because of being overqualified/too much experience/too old...Many of these people didn't buy a home-cars-boats-toys-etc-that they couldn't afford, but now are the victims of the recession with no job.
That anyone would want to cut off the lifeline for such people is nothing short of criminal. Especially when you consider that many of us have paid into our states unemployment comp programs for years and NEVER used them....
Still -- why is it that the unemployed don't demand jobs from the politicians, don't seem to mind that Obama promised to create 5 million new jobs and is inviting many in to be given amnesty because they want jobs here? All we ever see are demands for more money from the government - not jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment