Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 05:12 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,201,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
As bumblebees have a body mass far too large for their wingspan, it is impossible for one to fly unless they are able to beat their wings at a minimum of 200 times a second. However, 200 times a second is faster than nerve impulses are physically able to fire. As such, science cannot explain how they are actually able to fly, as it would be impossible to do so when applying the laws of physics as we understand them.

Does this mean you don't believe bumblebees can fly either?
I can see them fly.
I can test it.
I can document.

And btw we figured it out already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 12:33 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,619,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I read the OP title as, 150,000,000 Americans don't have closed minds?

Because that's what it really boils down to. A closed mind is an illogical mind. A logical mind will not make a conclusion one way or the other without conclusive proof one way or the other. It has nothing to do with belief. Belief is the wrong word in this context. What is generally meant is this: is there a possibility that ghosts exist?

And until I can say, "absolutely not" with verifiable evidence to back it up, I cannot make that conclusion. That's the way any scientist worth his salt works, anyway. If you cannot support your claim with proof, you reserve judgment. And saying there there is no black swan because you've never seen one is NOT proof.
The English word "believe" means (basically) to "be convinced that something is true". So I say - until there is conclusive proof don't "believe" it.

You are saying to keep an open mind to anything not proven false? Fine - I am open to being proven wrong at any time.

I am saying - don't believe in things without some sort of proof. Until such a time I will assume that those things for which there is no real evidence do not really exist.

I mean - really! Belief IS the right word in this context. So many are "convinced something is true" by abstract superstition and feelings with no hard evidence.

Irrational fears and superstition have led to so much grief for humans.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
I know ghosts exist. Too many experiences shared by multiple witnesses to believe otherwise. It is one of the only cross-cultural phenomena where humanity has collectively shared similar independent experiences. That cannot be due to mere coincidence.

IMO, there are two kinds of people. Those who believe in ghosts and those who are too terrified to accept that fact.

"Nothing happens contrary to science, only contrary to our understanding of it." -Dana Scully
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
But I am not scared at all - how does that fit into your opinion? Am I subconsciously terrified and blocking it all out? What am I terrified of, exactly (do you think)?

Gotta' say from my view it's a very strange opinion. Especially since all the popular "true" ghost stories I know of have been debunked. Remember the Amityville horror? Shocking to me how many people accept it as true AFTER it is admitted to be a hoax. See how this stuff works?

Tell me again what facts I am terrified of?

Sorry, but really scratching my head to understand your logic on these statements.
Why don't you answer me Annuvin? I am curious to know what you really think. You claim I am one of two kinds of people. Since I don't believe in ghosts then I must be in the second group ie: "those who are too terrified to accept that fact."

Except - I didn't know I was terrified until you informed me that I was. So - could you now please explain to me what you believe I am so terrified of? And then tell me why I'm not scared?

If I just missed your reply please forgive and just point me to the reply. Thanks!

Old 03-24-2013, 08:33 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,201,566 times
I want to go ghosthunting just so I can be proven wrong.

Which means I am open minded.

I do not believe because there is no proof.

But I'm not throwing it out the window. I am always willing to be proven wrong.

That's how the mind SHOULD work.

Not believe in something for no reason other then stories.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:10 AM

25,749 posts, read 18,818,821 times
That's the problem with "belief" in general... it causes blindness.

In my way of seeing things, there is fact. If one cannot establish fact one way or the other, no assumption is made. I am neither saying that ghosts exist nor am I saying ghosts do not exist. I will only conclude that which I am able to conclude. I can assign a probability onto something based on my opinion, but my opinion means nothing in the face of fact. My "believing in" something doesn't make it true. My not "believing in" something doesn't make it false--absolutely no cause and effect. Thus my "belief" is worthless and nothing more than a stumbling block to my progess and growth as an individual. As I said, "belief" is nothing more than a closed mind.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:23 AM

124 posts, read 238,988 times
I do believe in ghosts

Old 03-25-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:

In my way of seeing things, there is fact. If one cannot establish fact one way or the other, no assumption is made. I am neither saying that ghosts exist nor am I saying ghosts do not exist. I will only conclude that which I am able to conclude. I can assign a probability onto something based on my opinion, but my opinion means nothing in the face of fact. My "believing in" something doesn't make it true. My not "believing in" something doesn't make it false--absolutely no cause and effect. Thus my "belief" is worthless and nothing more than a stumbling block to my progess and growth as an individual. As I said, "belief" is nothing more than a closed mind.
My point is that the word "believe" itself is not a problem here and does not necessarily indicate a closed mind. It simply means to be convinced as to the truth of something (for any reason). The reason may be blind faith/superstition or scientific facts (or anything in between). It seems you may be stuck on a definition which is only one part of what the word means.

To recap:
A superstitious mind may"believe" (ie: be convinced something is true) based on feelings or fantasy.

A logical/scientific mind may "believe" (ie: be convinced something is true) based on tangible facts and verifiable physical evidence.

I don't believe (ie: am not convinced of the truth of) your assertion that "belief in general" "causes blindness" is accurate based on the complete definition of the word. Rather - irrational thinking causes irrational beliefs.

See what I'm getting at?

v. be·lieve
v.tr.1. To accept as true or real: Do you believe the news stories?
2. To credit with veracity: I believe you.
3. To expect or suppose; think: I believe they will arrive shortly.

v.intr.1. To have firm faith, especially religious faith.
2. To have faith, confidence, or trust: I believe in your ability to solve the problem.
3. To have confidence in the truth or value of something: We believe in free speech.
4. To have an opinion; think: They have already left, I believe.

Idioms: believe (one's) ears To trust what one has heard.

believe (one's) eyes To trust what one has seen.

But if you stay convinced that the word "believe" just means an opinion based on non-credible evidence then you will not believe what I (nor the dictionaries) say about the word and continue to believe that belief "causes blindness"

Old 03-25-2013, 09:08 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,101,655 times
Quote:

So, if I have belief in evolution, gravity or quantum physics, it is a "stumbling block to my progress and growth as an individual" and a symptom of a closed mind?

Good Lord... I have participated in many paranormal forums and sub-forums all over the 'net, but this one has to be the absolute worst I have ever encountered for illogical skepticism and obtuse, circular logic. The mods really should just shut it down.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:23 PM

355 posts, read 869,423 times
Honestly. Some of you people must be delusional, liars, paranoid, or gullible. Reading your "ghost" stories is a riot! Makes excellent night time read-along entertainment. Come on! Haunted workplaces, things disappearing and reappearing, mysterious sounds, etc etc. I don't believe your ghost stories at all and until two eggs fly out of my refrigerator, crack, then cook themselves scrambled, I will continue to believe the only truth there is: Ghosts aren't real.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:54 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,101,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RottenChester View Post
Honestly. Some of you people must be delusional, liars, paranoid, or gullible.
You forgot to mention trolls. Now why don't you run along to the athiest forum and try to sell them on Jeezus?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal