Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 08:06 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Well Scripture tells us the world is filled with false Gods. And Scripture tells us to spread the faith not by the sword, but by those who freely receive God's gift. Anything that departs from that is done by men who do not follow the Biblical way. Scripture also tells us our good works will not earn us salvation.
The dangers of false gods should be heeded, but it is also critical to realize that all gods are false gods, including yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 03:12 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,376,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Value is in the eye of the beholder. Money has value because people assign it value by trading it for other things. The value of gold and diamonds is also in the mind--people want them and are willing to pay a lot for them, so they become valuable.
Apologies to delay of reply, I was on vacation since my last post until now.

You are just stating obvious things now. There is nothing disagreeable in what you say. However belief in money has not many money exist. It literally exists. We created it, we assigned it value.

So again you are just saying things that are obvious and that no one can take exception to. None of it however supports your original claims... that belief can make non existent things real or change the laws of physics and chemistry.

If all you are claiming is that the word green can come to mean blue, or that our ability to perceive blue and green may change (actually some people already cant see the difference between then) then I have no issue with that claim at all. That was not your first claim though. You claimed the sky literally would change color, involving fundamental changes to physics and chemistry. We are talking about a change, caused by nothing but enough people believing it, in the wavelengths of light our sky absorbs and reflects.

That claim is not just baseless, but comical.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:10 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,886,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
The dangers of false gods should be heeded, but it is also critical to realize that all gods are false gods, including yours.
Something I want to say on this that is slightly off topic, but we need the first commandment, now more than ever. Not in the traditional belief in the Abrahamic God way, but in the way that too many people put things like money, sex, possessions, power, etc. first. People need to start putting other people first, learning to love and respect their neighbors. So although as a Catholic I disagree with the last par of your statement, I hope you included what I just said in the beginning of your statement.

Old 03-04-2011, 06:14 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,138,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jknic View Post
Something I want to say on this that is slightly off topic, but we need the first commandment, now more than ever. Not in the traditional belief in the Abrahamic God way, but in the way that too many people put things like money, sex, possessions, power, etc. first. People need to start putting other people first, learning to love and respect their neighbors. So although as a Catholic I disagree with the last par of your statement, I hope you included what I just said in the beginning of your statement.

Why do you need belief in a god to do the above? (in red)

Old 03-05-2011, 09:34 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,464,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post

You are just stating obvious things now. There is nothing disagreeable in what you say. However belief in money has not many money exist. It literally exists. We created it, we assigned it value.

So again you are just saying things that are obvious and that no one can take exception to. None of it however supports your original claims... that belief can make non existent things real or change the laws of physics and chemistry.

If all you are claiming is that the word green can come to mean blue, or that our ability to perceive blue and green may change (actually some people already cant see the difference between then) then I have no issue with that claim at all. That was not your first claim though. You claimed the sky literally would change color, involving fundamental changes to physics and chemistry. We are talking about a change, caused by nothing but enough people believing it, in the wavelengths of light our sky absorbs and reflects.

Right now on the Earth plane, such things are impossible. So I'm not claiming we can do it here, right now, cause we can't. On the astral planes, they are already possible now. They can become possible on the Earth plane if we rise to the level of consciousness that exists on the higher astral planes. You might think what I'm saying is totally out there, but if you astral travel or projected outside your body, you can experience it for yourself. The physical limitations we experience in our bodies on Earth don't exist in other dimensions. In most dimensions, thoughts instantaneously change your reality. If you want to travel somewhere, all you have to do is project that idea in your mind and you're there. When we shift our consciousness to a high enough level, we'll be able to do the same things with ease on the Earth plane. We're not there yet but we could get there.

Science already recognizes on the most basic level that the physical Universe goes against a lot of our ideas about "reality". For example, quantum leaps, which have been proven time and time again in Chemistry and Physics, show us that electrons jump up or down electron orbits, rather than traveling gradually from one to the other. It's the equivalent of if I was in New York one moment and in Shanghai the next, without ever having taken a plane. Not only that, Quantum Mechanics also shows us that the place of an electron is a probability cloud until an observer steps into the picture, where it assumes a definite place and time. In other words, an electron-wave has the possibility of being everywhere at once (and the likelihood varies from each point in space-time to the next). Experiments have been done in Quantum mechanics that show that electrons and photons can interfere with themselves, and also that two electrons or photons emitted at different times can still interfere with each other. They can even bilocate, or be in two places at once. Here's a brief article that includes further reading if you're interested. Hard science already shows us that our Universe is much stranger than we originally thought.

All that said, why it seems such an impossibility to many self-proclaimed "scientists" that things like bilocation and non-locality are indeed possible is beyond me. True scientists, who are willing to change their world view in the face of compelling evidence, already recognize that these phenomena are true. Many self-proclaimed "scientists" though, refuse to believe anything that wasn't part of the scientific model 100 years ago. In the end, what they really are is religious about outdated science, where they turn what was science 100 or 50 years ago, into their own belief system.

Many of the things listed in the OP's original post aren't a result of beliefs or religion so much as they are simply a manifestation of our natural Universe, beyond the understanding of the average person, and sometimes also still unexplained by science today. However, just because something doesn't fall in line with the average person's concept of reality based on outdated science doesn't mean it's necessarily delusional either. It just means that there are parts of our Universe that we are only beginning to understand, or that we don't yet understand. I am wiling to bet that a lot of what we understand as "supernatural" today is just "natural" but unexplained. I wouldn't be surprised if Physics comes up with an explanation of phenomena like astral travel and ghosts. Then we will realize they are just a part of nature, and not any more supernatural than electricity and infectious disease.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:39 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post

There are shades of blue and green that one might easily mistake for the other, as they are on the border between the two colors. This works in other colors too. Is a color more of a grayish green, or greenish gray? More an almond or an beige? People can have different views of the same color.

That is why there are so many problems picking out a color for another person other than yourself. You see it one way, and they may see it another.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:44 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,971,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
The God I follow has proven Himself through His fulfillment of Old Testament prophecy. He was rejected by the Jewish people, and He died for the sins of many as the prophecies said He would. Not to mention the hundreds of other detailed prophecies He fulfilled.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Right now on the Earth plane, such things are impossible. So I'm not claiming we can do it here, right now, cause we can't.
Then like I said I no longer have issue with your claim, because you now say you are not claiming it any more. Read back however. The idea that mere belief can literally change the fundamental rules of why our sky is the color it is was the claim you were making. You literally said belief could change the color of the sky, or bring non existent beings into existence.

You have now withdrawn that claim and so I have no more issue with it.

Quote:
On the astral planes, they are already possible now.
Says you, but now you are backing up baseless claims with OTHER baseless claims. You have not even shown, for example, that "astral planes" exist. You are just engaged in woo now.

You can have your astral planes all you want, I find it comical to read people actually subscribe to such notions. If you ever want to get around to... instead of talking woo about them actually giving me data, evidence, arguments OR reasons to think such things actually exist THEN I am all ears.

So far all you are essentially saying is "I believe it.... because I believe it" which is hardly a reason to do anything but laugh at you and I have no time for woo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
There are shades of blue and green that one might easily mistake for the other, as they are on the border between the two colors. This works in other colors too. Is a color more of a grayish green, or greenish gray? More an almond or an beige? People can have different views of the same color.
I think you may have replied to me without actually reading what I wrote because as I said I agree with this and am fully aware of it. This is NOT the claim I was taking issue with.

The claim I was taking issue with was not that we can each see colors or interpret them differently... but that using belief alone we can literally change the color of the sky.... that is to say change the laws of physics and chemistry to alter the wavelengths of light being reflected off our skies.

That claims is worlds apart from merely saying the subjective interpretation of color is variable.... the latter being a claim I have no issue with at all.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:17 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Not really, if I see a gray sky, and you see a blue one, are we seeing the same sky? Or do we just simply think of it differently?

Reality is filtered through the lens of the viewer's experience.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:23 AM

Again I have no issue with that and you say "not really" but then proceed to say things I wholly agree with.

It does not matter what you and I are seeing, we can still measure the actual wavelength of the light objectively. We might see it differently.... and many people do due to conditions like "color blindness" but the actual light is still the same wavelength regardless of the observers impression of it. You can call it grey, I can call it blue, but we are both still observing light of a specific wavelength.

The claims the person above was making was not that we would see it differently, but that the skys color literally would change. That is to say the wavelength of the light coming from it would itself change... nothing to do with observers.

The user in question suggested that this change could be caused simply by enough people believing the change would occur.

Now if YOU want to join that poster and think that belief changes the wavelength of light then so be it, but something tells me you do not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal