Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 11:47 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 29 days ago)

27,651 posts, read 16,138,284 times

Advertisements

I’ve known a few (12) people that claim to have seen unidentifiable/strange lights or craft. None have made official reports. I’m guessing for every report there must be at least 10 not reported. Any guesses?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2018, 09:06 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,944,595 times
I don't know, but an internal survey in a company gets a 30-40% return rate on the average, and a survey sent to people outside the company gets a 10-15% return rate typically. As this article notes, it's a matter of motivation:

https://www.surveygizmo.com/resource...esponse-rates/

When a customer or client complains about something, a rule of thumb I've heard somewhere is that you can expect there are 10 people who do not complain; user complaints are the tip of an iceberg of unsatisfied customers.

There are few positives to reporting a UFO or a paranormal experience, and a lot of potential negatives -- unwanted publicity, being viewed as a nut case, getting on some government list, difficulty with employers, and so on. My guess is at least 10 unreported sightings for every reported sighting due to the strong disincentives. Out of all the people I've known in my life, there are seven who say they've seen UFOs (including me). None of them were reported. The sightings range from oddly behaving lights in the sky to near-ground sightings of apparent craft to possible abductions. I don't think any of these people were yanking my chain, and none of these experiences have an easy explanation.

Old 08-06-2018, 11:00 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
Id say the number is very high, most UFO sightings happen very quick, you could be sitting in traffic and staring off at the sky and see something strange, its gone within seconds, its probable that many people would forget about it or chalk it up a mis-ID.

However if you read thru all the UFO sighting reports, there are many similarities, unfortunately it just raises more questions.

Old 08-06-2018, 12:40 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
I’ve known a few (12) people that claim to have seen unidentifiable/strange lights or craft. None have made official reports. I’m guessing for every report there must be at least 10 not reported. Any guesses?
Not sure, but if this thread is correct and 92% of these sighting are explainable (and the rest they just don't know), I'm guessing that unless they are darn well positive it's not an airplane, or a satellite, or the neighbors drone, or the millions of other reasons, they stay unreported.

UFO investigators probably have a tough enough time keep up with all the crackpots making claims they saw something.

//www.city-data.com/forum/unexp...ings-were.html

Old 08-06-2018, 01:20 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 29 days ago)

27,651 posts, read 16,138,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Not sure, but if this thread is correct and 92% of these sighting are explainable (and the rest they just don't know), I'm guessing that unless they are darn well positive it's not an airplane, or a satellite, or the neighbors drone, or the millions of other reasons, they stay unreported.

UFO investigators probably have a tough enough time keep up with all the crackpots making claims they saw something.

//www.city-data.com/forum/unexp...ings-were.html
A crackpot may be more likely to report one. Us regular folks just don’t bother

Old 08-06-2018, 01:47 PM

22,922 posts, read 28,279,449 times
Quote:
The sightings are unreported, then a guess is all we have.

I have seen a UFO 3 times in my life. Only one of them was truly weird. Other than telling friends and family about it and blathering about it on this forum, I didn't report it to any official agency.

Old 08-06-2018, 02:19 PM

12,988 posts, read 9,510,269 times
If I officially (meaning to some sort of organization, not necessarily the government) reported seeing a UFO, I'd be darn sure that it was something totally unidentifiable and not just some strange lights in the night sky. I have never seen anything worthy of reporting. I've actually never seen anything in the sky or on the ground that I either didn't immediately know what it was, or knew in pretty short order.

Old 08-06-2018, 02:31 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,944,595 times
There are also weird and rare aerial phenomena that sometimes get reported as the result of UFO activity. For example, crown flashes:

Ice crystals above clouds dance and flash according to electric fields.

and fallstreak holes:

https://cloudappreciationsociety.org...understanding/

It's a wonderful world out there, even without extraterrestrials zooming around in our atmosphere.

Old 08-06-2018, 03:31 PM

2,462 posts, read 2,480,403 times
Quote:

At least 90%, and this goes for all things paranormal.

Old 08-06-2018, 04:02 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,386,686 times
i saw a UFO near Carlsbad New Mexico but i didnt report it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal