Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2020, 08:23 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
What IS another coronavirus is...the common cold. Still no vaccine, still no cure.

That's because there is no need for one. Colds are almost never more than a minor inconvenience and not worth the risk of vaccine side effects. Not to mention "colds" are caused by over 200 different viruses, mostly rhinoviruses. A "cold" is simply a catch-all term for a common set of symptoms. The cold you have and the cold your friend has are probably not caused by the same virus.

Old 04-20-2020, 08:25 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,976,511 times
They're not "minor" for -- again, coincidentally -- older people and/or those with comorbidities; they can be deadly.

Old 04-20-2020, 08:27 AM

Quote:
They're not "minor" for -- again, coincidentally -- older people and/or those with comorbidities; they can be deadly.

Walking down a flight of stairs can be deadly. Life is a risk. The percentage who die from a common cold is exceedingly small.

Old 04-20-2020, 08:37 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,976,511 times
I couldn't agree more (in fact, I'm for re-opening now). I'm just saying that not EVERY virus "finds" a vaccine or effective treatment, and this one is an unknown.

Old 04-20-2020, 08:50 AM

Quote:
I couldn't agree more (in fact, I'm for re-opening now). I'm just saying that not EVERY virus "finds" a vaccine or effective treatment, and this one is an unknown.

I agree with that. With some viruses it may be that there just isn't enough incentive and funding to find one but there are cases - HIV - where an enormous amount of funding and research have not yielded a vaccine.

Old 04-20-2020, 10:41 AM

4,181 posts, read 5,063,818 times
Quote:

I keep thinking back to how SARS & MERS both fizzled out, and hoping that the same will happen with this one...
(I know, this one is far more infectious, but it's still possible)

Old 04-20-2020, 11:04 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
Quote:
Right, but the premise of this thread is speculating on whether there is 'something else' going on (besides the virus).

If there is, whether or not a vaccine, treatment, or cure comes along, wont make a bit of difference, Im guessing whoever is orchestrating this, will not allow something like a vaccine throw a wrench into their plans.

Old 04-20-2020, 12:05 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Right, but the premise of this thread is speculating on whether there is 'something else' going on (besides the virus).

If there is, whether or not a vaccine, treatment, or cure comes along, wont make a bit of difference, Im guessing whoever is orchestrating this, will not allow something like a vaccine throw a wrench into their plans.
This is the problem with conspiracy theories. They require an incredibly powerful central actor to move in ways that mimic nature to conceal their true motives.

Think about this. Let’s assume for the sake of argument that the virus was engineered and released for some nefarious purpose. Let’s even assume that the purpose includes an uncontrolled spread that impacts the entire planet in unpredictable ways.

You still have dozens of developed countries, with hundreds of labs, universities, pharmaceutical companies and agencies working to find a vaccine. Do you really think that if the NIH, or Columbia, or Johns Hopkins, or Oxford, or the Sorbonne, or Pfizer, or Bayer, or the Chinese military, or anybody else comes up with a vaccine it can be squashed?

Old 04-20-2020, 12:55 PM

37,108 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
I keep thinking back to how SARS & MERS both fizzled out, and hoping that the same will happen with this one...
(I know, this one is far more infectious, but it's still possible)
SARS fizzled; MERS is still with us.

Old 04-20-2020, 03:58 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
This is the problem with conspiracy theories. They require an incredibly powerful central actor to move in ways that mimic nature to conceal their true motives.

Think about this. Let’s assume for the sake of argument that the virus was engineered and released for some nefarious purpose. Let’s even assume that the purpose includes an uncontrolled spread that impacts the entire planet in unpredictable ways.

You still have dozens of developed countries, with hundreds of labs, universities, pharmaceutical companies and agencies working to find a vaccine. Do you really think that if the NIH, or Columbia, or Johns Hopkins, or Oxford, or the Sorbonne, or Pfizer, or Bayer, or the Chinese military, or anybody else comes up with a vaccine it can be squashed?
Its not that simple.

If the plan is to wreck the economy or 'bring about' a drastically different kind of world...it wont matter if there is a vaccine, those with the power to orchestrate something on this level could very easily let 1 million doses of the vaccine to sit in a warehouse, so no one can access them, or some other way, so the vaccine does not reach the people. Its difficult to understand this kind of thing, because we are just normal people, the people who orchestrate stuff like this are much different, they have power and authority that we could only dream of.

Kind of like when aid groups send food or financial help to areas that need it, and the leaders of that area, confiscate or seize it all, so it doesnt even reach the people that need it. Of course we are never told why they do this.

Im not claiming to know who is doing this or why, in fact, I cannot imagine how it would benefit anyone to wreck the economy in such a way, the peasant class going to work everyday, paying their taxes, taking out loans, buying things...all that makes the people at the top MORE wealthy and more powerful, so it really doesnt make sense to kill off your workforce of peasants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal