Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2022, 08:28 PM

22,920 posts, read 28,273,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Can you explain why? And please don't answer with, "cause the universe is really big".
Because when I was a kid, we were constantly being told by Carl Sagan and others how rare life is in the universe, that the chances for Earth-like planets to exist elsewhere is extremely slim.

But now, less than 30 years later, scientists are proving all that wrong. Planets in the so-called "Goldilocks Zone" are not only out there, but there are a whole lot of them out there. We are finding more every year.

And I don't think life as it exists on Earth is the only way life can exist. Astronomers are still unable to rule out that life might exist in our own solar system. Europa is a possibility.

But mostly I don't buy into the modern materialist arrogance that we have it all figured out. The notion that one species on one planet circling one star has the entire universe mapped out is the height of hubris. We are only beginning to understand the cosmos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2022, 11:34 PM

21 posts, read 26,823 times
My inclination is that we are alone in the universe.

Earth got lucky in all the myriad of variables that lined up to form a complex ecosystem of land, water, air, plants, animals, insects, humans.

Old 01-20-2022, 12:31 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,460,702 times
Is Elon trying to go home?

Old 01-20-2022, 01:04 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,208,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Because when I was a kid, we were constantly being told by Carl Sagan and others how rare life is in the universe, that the chances for Earth-like planets to exist elsewhere is extremely slim.
Carl Sagan never said that. He was a big champion of the Drake Equation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y2FR5fYrSU

Quote:
But now, less than 30 years later, scientists are proving all that wrong. Planets in the so-called "Goldilocks Zone" are not only out there, but there are a whole lot of them out there. We are finding more every year.
In the first place, the concept of the Goldilocks zone is rubbish. If you look at the planets they've listed so far, pretty much none of them are actually Earth-like. In one case the planet is 8 times more massive than the Earth. The Goldilocks zone has to do with total solar radiation per square meter, which allows liquid water that doesn't get boiled off. But this is just one of countless factors necessary for life.

Quote:
And I don't think life as it exists on Earth is the only way life can exist.
Why not?

Quote:
Astronomers are still unable to rule out that life might exist in our own solar system. Europa is a possibility.
Everything is a possibility until proven otherwise. Maybe Haley's comet has life on it, we won't know until we land a ship on it and extract core samples. Maybe Pan-Spermia was caused by Haley's comet. We figured it out boys.

But in all seriousness, there is a difference between a possibility and a probability.

Quote:
But mostly I don't buy into the modern materialist arrogance that we have it all figured out. The notion that one species on one planet circling one star has the entire universe mapped out is the height of hubris. We are only beginning to understand the cosmos.
Ironically, my irritation in this thread is the same as yours but the opposite. If you people simply said "it is possible", I wouldn't care. But you don't say that.

MikeNigh says "Statistically has to be."

Retroit, "Life? Absolutely"

Indigo Cardinal, "Do I believe there are aliens out there? Absolutely."

Hawkeye 2009, "Of course- the universe is vast."

Pullmyfinger, "I personally believe there are billions of human civilizations out there in the universe."

Mark S, "I think it is extremely likely."

sam81, "It is really the only answer. There are just so many other planets out there that some have to have life."

Manapplet, "I vote there most likely is other life out there."

Now, if you ask them why they think that, all they say is "The universe is big so it has to be true".

Do you understand why I get so triggered? And these same people rant constantly how no one should believe anything without evidence.

Old 01-20-2022, 01:16 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,208,835 times
There are only two rational answers to Fermi's paradox...

1) There are tons of planets with intelligent life, but no one can travel fast enough to reach each other.

2) There is only life on Earth.

The rest is all government conspiracy stuff and anal probes.

Old 01-20-2022, 05:12 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,221,727 times
Quote:

1) There are tons of planets with intelligent life, but no one can travel fast enough to reach each other.

I choose number 1 with a slight modification; there "may be" planets with intelligent life, but chances are, because of distance, inability to even detect the other civilization or non-overlapping times of existence, they never visit or are even aware of each other. I'm just talking about the visible universe which contains somewhere between a few hundred billion to two trillion galaxies. Data suggest the universe beyond the particle horizon is larger than the part we can see. Sell enough lottery tickets and despite the overwhelming odds against it, someone buys a winning ticket. Math alone would be on the side of multiple winners in the intelligent life lottery.

Is your conviction that no intelligent extraterrestrial life exists religious in nature? I'm asking because of your earlier atheist comment.

Old 01-20-2022, 06:59 AM

9,456 posts, read 5,216,910 times
Quote:

LOL. anal probes!!!! yikes.

Old 01-20-2022, 07:00 AM

9,456 posts, read 5,216,910 times
"If not, it would be an awful waste of space."

name the movie

but I have no idea .....

Old 01-20-2022, 07:04 AM

3,220 posts, read 1,605,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
I choose number 1 with a slight modification; there "may be" planets with intelligent life, but chances are, because of distance, inability to even detect the other civilization or non-overlapping times of existence, they never visit or are even aware of each other. I'm just talking about the visible universe which contains somewhere between a few hundred billion to two trillion galaxies. Data suggest the universe beyond the particle horizon is larger than the part we can see. Sell enough lottery tickets and despite the overwhelming odds against it, someone buys a winning ticket. Math alone would be on the side of multiple winners in the intelligent life lottery.

Is your conviction that no intelligent extraterrestrial life exists religious in nature? I'm asking because of your earlier atheist comment.
It’s interesting to remember that anything outside the particle horizon will never be able interact with us, and as the universe continues to expand, less and less of the universe will be accessible.

Old 01-20-2022, 07:28 AM

8,630 posts, read 9,137,436 times
Has anyone been watching the news the last few years? I grew up during Project Blue Book, the landing on the moon etc....I always kept my ear open to UFO sightings and kept an open mind about the subject, and was skeptical on most sightings. For the first time the US government has admitted our Navy being shadowed by UFOs that defy the laws of gravity. Not only our Navy but our Nuclear facilities and other nations encountering the same objects. For those who think that another nation has figured out antigravity propulsion, these encounters have been going on for decades, some would argue for centuries. Our topgun fighter pilots have come forward and described encounters with these objects that move at great speed, 90 degree angles at speeds that would kill its pilot. Moving at 80 thousand feet in a second....swarms of them, tracked both visually and sophisticated radar systems.

There is no doubt these things exist. However, what are they? We as humans tend to think inside our box in that since we can not do those things, nothing can until we do it. Many assume that if they do in fact exist they must be from another rocky planet..That thinking may be incorrect, they may not be from another planet at all.

Last edited by jmking; 01-20-2022 at 07:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal