Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the UK disintegrate?
Yes 158 33.47%
No 314 66.53%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 12:43 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,463,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhowie View Post
Well Dave, I am a staunch Scots Unionist and looking forward to getting out the EU. Sturgeon has been dancing away from another Scots referendum although pressurised from her Brigadoon lot. They forget how many Councillors, MSPs and MP's they lost to the Scots Tories, haha!
Don't take offence from my posts to cahpsuth3, I'm only teasing. Although I mean what I say........

I have only visited Scotland once, but it is very beautiful, especially along the coast. My eldest son lived there for 14 years, and sometimes he had some very unpleasant verbal experiences dished out to him from Scots.

So when I get someone like cahpsuth3 prattling on, it irritates me. We should be sticking together in these small islands, and looking out for each other.

Wee Jimmy Sturgeon knows at the very highest support for Scottish independence, she failed in her quest. Won't stop her and cahsuth3 going on about another vote though.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2019, 02:02 AM

Angela Merkel is making crooning noises on how she will work 'to the last day' on helping the EU and the UK come to an agreement, avoiding us crashing out of the EU without a deal.

Here, forces within both our main political parties, are determined to keep us in the EU, and us not to leave at all. They don't care about the result of the referendum, and democracy.

The Tories especially, are tearing themselves apart, but not exclusively. Labour also has internal disputes going on. Jeremy Corbyn, at the heart of him, wants us out of the EU. He is being pressured to recommend a second vote.

All this pain is the result of at least 20 years of growing anger within a large part of the population, in especially England, not being listened to by politicians.

Because of growing worries about UKIP taking Tory votes, David Cameron decided to give the people of the UK a vote on EU membership. He thought doing this, would lance the UKIP boil, and once the vote went to remain, end this argument once and for all.

This showed the lack of understanding how much simmering anger there was within certain parts of the UK, at massive change within their communities within a quite short time scale. Once a group of eastern European new EU members got permission to move and work, they flooded into especially England.

Many employers liked these new workers. Hard working, and willing to work for minimum wage. Along with the good people, especially Poles, we also got some very bad people like gypsies. These people have been nothing but trouble in their own countries, for sometimes centuries. They saw an opportunity to leave, and took it. Sometimes whole villages of them moving to the UK. Their own countries couldn't believe their luck in getting rid of these people.

Problems quickly came to the fore in these folks finding homes to live, jobs of course, schools for their children, and doctors for when they are ill. The communities they moved into felt pushed down the ladder, and felt rightly or wrongly, the incomers were getting priority over them.

All they heard was the great contribution the newcomers were making, when their own eyes told them different. Rents climbed quickly from supply and demand issues. The remnants of the working class felt no one was listening to them anymore. Then they got a chance to vote on EU membership.

They came out in their droves to vote. Some folks who had given up voting as a waste of time for many years. The ruling classes smiled as they waited for the result. The money markets slept easily. The politicians had a party at number 10. It was smiles all round, at a job well done. Then came the result.

The money markets went into freefall. Politicians heads rolled. Theresa May got the PM job and promised to lead us out of the EU. Instead of handing in article 50 immediately, and walking away from the EU, they decided they were going to negotiate a fantastic trade deal, and the EU would smile, and say good luck. Over two wasted years since then, we are in this mess.

There are people behind the scenes determined we won't leave the EU. The vote doesn't matter to them. If there was another one, and leave won again, they still wouldn't accept it. We are seeing with our own eyes, the idea we live in a democracy is a false one. The rich and powerful who pull the strings, are moving heaven and earth to stop Brexit. They don't care about what will come from this, from an angry population. They don't care the damage this will do to long term politics. The truth of our situation is being revealed. Our votes mean nothing when it goes against the true rulers of this country.

Like everybody else, I look on in amazement at the mess politicians have made of this. Parliament is split into little factions, pushing their own agenda. Theresa May still has not given up on her pathetic deal. Sadly, she is all we've got. There are whispers now of a snap general election at the end of February, just weeks before we're due to leave the EU. Will Theresa May go into such an election as leader of the Tories? How can they possibly get rid of her as they intend in such a short time scale? Are we stupid enough as a nation, to vote the idiot Corbyn in as PM? I don't believe so. I believe a snap election would leave us in a similar position we are in today. Then what? Somethings got to give.

Old 01-20-2019, 02:26 AM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,088,262 times
There's no way leaving the EU would be the end of Britain. Britain has existed for 2000+ years and is one of the most powerful nations in the world, with a nuclear arsenal.

Having said that, I would never had voted for leaving the EU, as I am not a racist. Same reason I voted for Hillary Clinton instead of Trump. But just as Trump hasn't turned the USA into a theocratic dictatorship, Brexit won't destroy Britain.

Old 01-20-2019, 02:38 AM

7,864 posts, read 10,349,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Angela Merkel is making crooning noises on how she will work 'to the last day' on helping the EU and the UK come to an agreement, avoiding us crashing out of the EU without a deal.

Here, forces within both our main political parties, are determined to keep us in the EU, and us not to leave at all. They don't care about the result of the referendum, and democracy.

The Tories especially, are tearing themselves apart, but not exclusively. Labour also has internal disputes going on. Jeremy Corbyn, at the heart of him, wants us out of the EU. He is being pressured to recommend a second vote.

All this pain is the result of at least 20 years of growing anger within a large part of the population, in especially England, not being listened to by politicians.

Because of growing worries about UKIP taking Tory votes, David Cameron decided to give the people of the UK a vote on EU membership. He thought doing this, would lance the UKIP boil, and once the vote went to remain, end this argument once and for all.

This showed the lack of understanding how much simmering anger there was within certain parts of the UK, at massive change within their communities within a quite short time scale. Once a group of eastern European new EU members got permission to move and work, they flooded into especially England.

Many employers liked these new workers. Hard working, and willing to work for minimum wage. Along with the good people, especially Poles, we also got some very bad people like gypsies. These people have been nothing but trouble in their own countries, for sometimes centuries. They saw an opportunity to leave, and took it. Sometimes whole villages of them moving to the UK. Their own countries couldn't believe their luck in getting rid of these people.

Problems quickly came to the fore in these folks finding homes to live, jobs of course, schools for their children, and doctors for when they are ill. The communities they moved into felt pushed down the ladder, and felt rightly or wrongly, the incomers were getting priority over them.

All they heard was the great contribution the newcomers were making, when their own eyes told them different. Rents climbed quickly from supply and demand issues. The remnants of the working class felt no one was listening to them anymore. Then they got a chance to vote on EU membership.

They came out in their droves to vote. Some folks who had given up voting as a waste of time for many years. The ruling classes smiled as they waited for the result. The money markets slept easily. The politicians had a party at number 10. It was smiles all round, at a job well done. Then came the result.

The money markets went into freefall. Politicians heads rolled. Theresa May got the PM job and promised to lead us out of the EU. Instead of handing in article 50 immediately, and walking away from the EU, they decided they were going to negotiate a fantastic trade deal, and the EU would smile, and say good luck. Over two wasted years since then, we are in this mess.

There are people behind the scenes determined we won't leave the EU. The vote doesn't matter to them. If there was another one, and leave won again, they still wouldn't accept it. We are seeing with our own eyes, the idea we live in a democracy is a false one. The rich and powerful who pull the strings, are moving heaven and earth to stop Brexit. They don't care about what will come from this, from an angry population. They don't care the damage this will do to long term politics. The truth of our situation is being revealed. Our votes mean nothing when it goes against the true rulers of this country.

Like everybody else, I look on in amazement at the mess politicians have made of this. Parliament is split into little factions, pushing their own agenda. Theresa May still has not given up on her pathetic deal. Sadly, she is all we've got. There are whispers now of a snap general election at the end of February, just weeks before we're due to leave the EU. Will Theresa May go into such an election as leader of the Tories? How can they possibly get rid of her as they intend in such a short time scale? Are we stupid enough as a nation, to vote the idiot Corbyn in as PM? I don't believe so. I believe a snap election would leave us in a similar position we are in today. Then what? Somethings got to give.

Excellent summary.

Old 01-20-2019, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post

Having said that, I would never had voted for leaving the EU, as I am not a racist.
Would you care to elaborate on that? You saying over 17 million people who voted to leave the EU did so, because they are racists?

Go on, I'm listening.

Old 01-20-2019, 02:56 AM

5,423 posts, read 3,637,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post

Having said that, I would never had voted for leaving the EU, as I am not a racist.
what a load of rubbish and this from an outsider.
it had nothing to do with race, but it had an awful lot to do with the voters wishes being ignored, which they still are. the politicians are doing what they want to do not what the electorate want.
we should have left the EU the day after Article 50 was declared. "we're leaving, we've left, goodbye".

Old 01-20-2019, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
Excellent summary.
Yeah, I thought it was time Bob, so lurkers not willing to read the whole thread, know what the hell this is all about. Especially Americans......

I tell ya, even typing it gave me a headache. What a mess we're in.

Old 01-20-2019, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
what a load of rubbish and this from an outsider.
it had nothing to do with race, but it had an awful lot to do with the voters wishes being ignored, which they still are. the politicians are doing what they want to do not what the electorate want.
we should have left the EU the day after Article 50 was declared. "we're leaving, we've left, goodbye".
I am waiting patiently for another post from our new silicon valley friend.........

Old 01-20-2019, 03:12 AM

5,423 posts, read 3,637,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I am waiting patiently for another post from our new silicon valley friend.........
America is several hours behind us so he's probably gone bedibyes!!
that's the problem with American forums, they are asleep when we Brits are awake and vice versa!!

Last edited by bigpaul; 01-20-2019 at 03:22 AM..

Old 01-20-2019, 03:25 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,299,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
America is several hours behind us so he's probably gone bedibyes!!
that's the problem with American forums, they are asleep when we Brits are awake and vice versa!!
9 hours behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom