Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the UK disintegrate?
Yes 158 33.47%
No 314 66.53%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2020, 10:25 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,355,000 times

Advertisements

To counter the sour grapes, I shall pour a shot of this British colonial nectar (a gift from a very good Brit friend - a Brexiter) for a celebratory toast tomorrow of the UK’s regained sovereign independence.
Right here in the Heart of Texas....where we know something about freedom.

Last edited by ScoPro; 06-13-2021 at 06:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2020, 11:18 AM

2,639 posts, read 1,996,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
A few minutes ago I saw part of a BBC interview with Juncker. The interviewer was trying to explain that insisting that they should retain rights to British waters was a no-go. Juncker just could not understand.
I have gotten the impression that the EU mandarins view the UK as a renegade province.

Old 01-30-2020, 11:50 AM

2,264 posts, read 973,367 times
Now for the answer to the big question. Is the UK still capable of managing its own affairs or is this the beginning of the end now that's it's no longer a colony of the EU?

Old 01-30-2020, 01:09 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,706,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
I have gotten the impression that the EU mandarins view the UK as a renegade province.
That could explain what I saw. It was bizarre. The interviewer finally told Juncker that the fishing rights played a big part in the UK wanting to leave. Juncker was dumbstruck. I thought maybe it was because Luxembourg is landlocked, but your take on it could be the reason.

Old 01-30-2020, 01:18 PM

1,129 posts, read 470,680 times
So now the latest polls show that the Scots would vote to leave the UK with a 51% majority,.. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-break-UK.html

A small majority like this isn’t enough to change the status quo on such an important issue, any more than the Brexit referendum.

It’s going to be a very interesting year though watching Boris try to keep everyone happy and live up to the waffle he’s been spouting the last few years.

It’s now time for remainers to sit back and watch the show..

Old 01-30-2020, 02:13 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,706,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
It's the new left's exclusive inclusivity.

If you're group A everything that is wrong was never your fault, it was the establishment. However if you're in group B it's all your fault and self inflicted.

I don't know how some people sleep at night with the near terminal cases of cognitive dissonance they must carry around in their heads.
Thanks, Gungnir. That makes as much sense as anything.

I've repeatedly seen explanations for the fishing rights problem. I certainly understood what had gone wrong. UK fishermen were given quotas that were insufficient and were forced to sell them, take the money, and invest in retraining, while hoping for the best.

At the point that Juncker was dumbstruck, they stopped the interview and said that the entire interview would be played later in the day.

If I could understand the problem, I would certainly think that people in the UK could as well.

Old 01-30-2020, 03:57 PM

1,877 posts, read 678,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
To counter the sour grapes, I shall pour a shot of this British colonial nectar (a gift from a very good Brit friend - a Brexiter) for a celebratory toast tomorrow of the UK’s regained sovereign independence.
Right here in the Heart of Texas....where we know something about freedom.
Texas knew something about freedom for about 10 years from 1835 after independence from Mexico.

After that it was annexed by the USA, Texans voted to give up their independence and acquiesce to that annexation by Washington DC. Since then there has barely been a peep from Texans looking to reestablish their freedom and independence.

Old 01-30-2020, 04:10 PM

1,877 posts, read 678,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by britinspain View Post

It’s going to be a very interesting year though watching Boris try to keep everyone happy and live up to the waffle he’s been spouting the last few years.

It’s now time for remainers to sit back and watch the show..
Definitely. They have got what they want, they now own this and all the consequences that come from it. When the utopia promised by the Brexiteer purveyors of snake-oil to the masses does not materialise then only those Brexiteer propagandists and those taken in by that propaganda will be to blame.

I'm sure the high profile Brexit cheerleaders will try to weasel out of responsibility (not that the likes of Murdoch and Co will be affected anyway unlike most regular British people), the Brexit supporting politicians will gradually slip away from the scene (many probably after making a tidy sum for themselves buying up cheap assets during the uncertainty slump they caused) and the Brexit voting masses in the general public will claim it was nothing to do with them, they just did what the Sun and Daily Mail said they should do.

Historians will use these few years as a case study in how a country can be persuaded through manipulation of new media to actively vote against its own interests in favour of the interests of a small group of manipulators using advanced psychological and marketing techniques to achieve that.

Old 01-30-2020, 07:07 PM

2,264 posts, read 973,367 times
Yes, unless Britain submits to Big Brussels it's doomed.

Taiwan gets this same brow beating speech from Big Beijing every election cycle but the Taiwanese people aren't buying it either.

And so far, so good: Taiwan's strong GDP growth shows it does not need China to succeed

Old 01-31-2020, 03:02 AM

703 posts, read 446,674 times
I can't remember any occasion in the past where only half the country celebrated a national event.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom