Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 08:00 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,483,937 times

Advertisements

because europe has no power
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2019, 10:25 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,434,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
The movie, however, was fiction. Idealized stuff. The vast majority of Americans don't make anywhere near enough to afford that sort of life style.

(We have had, however, the yellow school buses-a point one Scot made in her vlog).
Sure, I grew to understand that after my first visit to America in 1988. But, the image we saw of America in 1967, when 'The Graduate' came out was a glamorous one, of the successes of capitalism. That movie, and other's like 'Yours, Mine, and Ours,' and television shows like 'Here's Lucy' showed how a secretary could have a huge home, with everything in it you could desire. Like you say, it wasn't real, but to a teenager like me at the time, made a huge impression.

The sour underbelly of American life didn't come to the fore until the 1970s in movies. The 1960s were all about showing America in a good light to the world. That's the stuff I grew up on. I think that view started to change with another Dustin Hoffman movie, 'Midnight Cowboy' in 1969. In the 1970s, while movies like 'Taxi Driver' were being made, on the telly at the same time, we had 'Charlie's Angels.' It was a conflicting image of America.

The so called 'special relationship' between the UK and America is a true one. It always existed, but I think the Second World War cemented it. It's had it's ups and downs over the decades since, but there is a bond between us, and Americans. I have visited America many times since that first trip 30 years ago. I always feel welcome, and find Americans to be the most friendly, and open people. Easy to talk with, and as interested in me, as I am with them. I don't feel that way with any other people, in the many countries I have visited in over 40 years of foreign travel.

Old 06-26-2019, 11:17 PM

6,046 posts, read 5,963,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Sure, I grew to understand that after my first visit to America in 1988. But, the image we saw of America in 1967, when 'The Graduate' came out was a glamorous one, of the successes of capitalism. That movie, and other's like 'Yours, Mine, and Ours,' and television shows like 'Here's Lucy' showed how a secretary could have a huge home, with everything in it you could desire. Like you say, it wasn't real, but to a teenager like me at the time, made a huge impression.

The sour underbelly of American life didn't come to the fore until the 1970s in movies. The 1960s were all about showing America in a good light to the world. That's the stuff I grew up on. I think that view started to change with another Dustin Hoffman movie, 'Midnight Cowboy' in 1969. In the 1970s, while movies like 'Taxi Driver' were being made, on the telly at the same time, we had 'Charlie's Angels.' It was a conflicting image of America.

The so called 'special relationship' between the UK and America is a true one. It always existed, but I think the Second World War cemented it. It's had it's ups and downs over the decades since, but there is a bond between us, and Americans. I have visited America many times since that first trip 30 years ago. I always feel welcome, and find Americans to be the most friendly, and open people. Easy to talk with, and as interested in me, as I am with them. I don't feel that way with any other people, in the many countries I have visited in over 40 years of foreign travel.

1967? The Summer of Love and England/UK finally kicking of the depressive post war era. Swinging London around the time was classed by some as capital of the world in creativity and growing youth confidence.
What about British films of the time? Some interesting and experimental stuff around in the sixties showing a new English face, moving away from the old staid Empire hangover stuff to something newer and more exciting. London became a magnet for the worlds youth. Plenty of jobs and the get rich at any cost culture still decades away.

What is this special relationship talked about? Britain was paying America for many decades later for 'the help' it offered during the war. Australia also speaks of a special relationship with US, and I imagine so does Canada. Just how special, after deducting facts that create a degree of ease like common language remains, I suspect very much to do with who is in The White House at the time.

Old 06-26-2019, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
because europe has no power
EU as a bloc has plenty of power acting in unison. Obviously small individual countries, outside of the main players would have little if acting alone.

Old 06-27-2019, 12:11 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,434,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
1967? The Summer of Love and England/UK finally kicking of the depressive post war era. Swinging London around the time was classed by some as capital of the world in creativity and growing youth confidence.
What about British films of the time? Some interesting and experimental stuff around in the sixties showing a new English face, moving away from the old staid Empire hangover stuff to something newer and more exciting. London became a magnet for the worlds youth. Plenty of jobs and the get rich at any cost culture still decades away.

What is this special relationship talked about? Britain was paying America for many decades later for 'the help' it offered during the war. Australia also speaks of a special relationship with US, and I imagine so does Canada. Just how special, after deducting facts that create a degree of ease like common language remains, I suspect very much to do with who is in The White House at the time.
I was still at school in 1967, but very aware of the changing times. Clothes, music, movies, art, the sheer youth of the people promoting change. The young had money to spend, and wanted to have a good time. Our parents scratched their heads, wondering what the hell was happening.

British movies were finding a more international appeal. John Schlesinger started the sixties with very British films like 'A Kind of Loving', and 'Billy Liar', ending the decade with the very American 'Midnight Cowboy'. Art films like 'If' caught the public imagination. I had a movie poster of 'If' on my bedroom wall.......

I made my first visit to London in 1970, even then the embers of the 60s cultural revolution hadn't quite died. But, the 70s were a very different decade. Unemployment was climbing, and traditional industries were dying, especially in the north of England. America had it's own problems with the Vietnam war. Still, my hero Muhammad Ali returned to the ring, so it wasn't all bad!!

You are right about us still paying America back for many decades after the war finished. The 'special relationship' had it's ups and downs. I know Harold McMillan had the ear of John Kennedy in the early 60s. It waned somewhat with Lyndon Johnson and Richard Nixon, then came again with Ronald Reagan. Boy, didn't he and Maggie Thatcher make a beautiful couple?........

I think the 'special relationship' is more widespread than just us and America. It also includes Australia, New Zealand, and Canada. We're kin.......

Old 06-27-2019, 01:53 AM

Quote:
I was still at school in 1967, but very aware of the changing times. Clothes, music, movies, art, the sheer youth of the people promoting change. The young had money to spend, and wanted to have a good time. Our parents scratched their heads, wondering what the hell was happening.

British movies were finding a more international appeal. John Schlesinger started the sixties with very British films like 'A Kind of Loving', and 'Billy Liar', ending the decade with the very American 'Midnight Cowboy'. Art films like 'If' caught the public imagination. I had a movie poster of 'If' on my bedroom wall.......

I made my first visit to London in 1970, even then the embers of the 60s cultural revolution hadn't quite died. But, the 70s were a very different decade. Unemployment was climbing, and traditional industries were dying, especially in the north of England. America had it's own problems with the Vietnam war. Still, my hero Muhammad Ali returned to the ring, so it wasn't all bad!!

You are right about us still paying America back for many decades after the war finished. The 'special relationship' had it's ups and downs. I know Harold McMillan had the ear of John Kennedy in the early 60s. It waned somewhat with Lyndon Johnson and Richard Nixon, then came again with Ronald Reagan. Boy, didn't he and Maggie Thatcher make a beautiful couple?........

I think the 'special relationship' is more widespread than just us and America. It also includes Australia, New Zealand, and Canada. We're kin.......
I suspect self interest will dictate sides, these days meaning more business inclined than any feelings of nostalgia. America was reluctant to support UK's Falklands adventure as well as Australia's East Timor intervention, were an incident with Indonesia was a distinct possibility. They came on board but later , just as WW2. While I see plenty of platitudes voiced in regards to this alleged 'special relationship', I don't see it in practise.
I actually feel a lot of closeness/awareness/like in relations on a people level with countries like Denmark and even Netherlands and Germany (on their side at least) than necessary with America. )(some Americans of very odd views, if possess any at all of countries like UK and Australia)

Old 06-27-2019, 03:01 AM

2,639 posts, read 1,996,419 times
Quote:

When I visited Australia in 1986, I felt a strong affinity for the Aussies.

Old 06-27-2019, 03:06 AM

2,639 posts, read 1,996,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post

Just how special, after deducting facts that create a degree of ease like common language remains, I suspect very much to do with who is in The White House at the time.
One should designate who the "Special Relationship" encompasses. Are we talking about the general publics of these nations? Or the politicians?

Depending on the individual, politicians-and foreign ministers as well-can be cold blooded.

Old 06-27-2019, 09:17 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,906,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I'm kinda thinking that if they haven't discovered that by 9 pages and ninety posts; they aren't likely to bother about it even if they do.
More power to him!

Hey as they say, I don't agree with what he says but I will defend his right to say it.

Old 06-27-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
One should designate who the "Special Relationship" encompasses. Are we talking about the general publics of these nations? Or the politicians?

Depending on the individual, politicians-and foreign ministers as well-can be cold blooded.
Well I would suggest 'the special relationship' is one of a political contrived nature and more of appearance than actuality, although of course speaking the same lingo and certain cultural similarities does grease the wheels somewhat, but self interest will always win out in the end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom