Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2019, 11:20 PM

6,046 posts, read 5,963,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I don't live in Europe, but I've met enough of Europeans to be aware that the anti-American sentiment exists there, in Great Britain including, and it has little to do with Russia.
The best way I can put it - part of Europeans think that in the long run the influence/domination of the US serves first and utmost American interests, while destroying in the process THEIR cultures and hurting THEIR economic interests.

(BTW in my book G.B. IS part of Europe, Old Europe to be precise.)
Pretty much agree with all that. Of course GB is or should be part of Europe. America is seen in many quarters as too over bearing and not a little arrogant. Yes it serves itself first and as seen in recent times not at all above hurting European interests in the process of getting its own way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2019, 11:40 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,279,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Pretty much agree with all that. Of course GB is or should be part of Europe. America is seen in many quarters as too over bearing and not a little arrogant. Yes it serves itself first and as seen in recent times not at all above hurting European interests in the process of getting its own way.
The UK is and always will be part of geographic Europe.

Whether it's a part of the EU is an entirely different question.

Old 06-23-2019, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
The UK is and always will be part of geographic Europe.

Whether it's a part of the EU is an entirely different question.
Just being present is hardly enough. Nothing much more than a hang over from Imperial days when certain Brit's thought themselves to be the centre of the world and those impossible to understand Europeans at the periphery.

Old 06-23-2019, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Just being present is hardly enough. Nothing much more than a hang over from Imperial days when certain Brit's thought themselves to be the centre of the world and those impossible to understand Europeans at the periphery.
I think you're confusing geography and politics.

Old 06-23-2019, 01:05 AM

Quote:
I think you're confusing geography and politics.
No confusion on my part. All rather interconnected these days and in a world of big players UK's interests are to be inclusive of the continent it finds itself not on the outer.

Old 06-23-2019, 01:41 AM

Quote:
No confusion on my part. All rather interconnected these days and in a world of big players UK's interests are to be inclusive of the continent it finds itself not on the outer.
So what you're saying is that in effect your success is dependent on your neighbors?

That's pretty naive.

Also off topic.

Old 06-23-2019, 02:54 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,515,015 times
Quote:
Wahaay ! Conkling's Law* in action.
In all my decades on this earth I can honestly say I've near heard a single British person say " I wish we had an empire again."
As the British Empire probably came to an end in 1947 with Indian independence ( I'm discounting Hong Kong ) you would have to be well into your 70s to have had an even basic memory of what it was.
Anti-imperialists also strangely never mention that the French,Spanish and Dutch also had significant empires yet it's always the Brits who are the imperialists.

* Like Godwin's Law and Hitler Conkling's Law states that the longer an online discussion goes on about the UK's role in Europe the more likely the Empire will be mentioned.

Old 06-23-2019, 03:54 AM

Quote:
So what you're saying is that in effect your success is dependent on your neighbors?

That's pretty naive.

Also off topic.
What I said is what I wrote. UK is interdependent on the nations around it. Pretty naïve to think otherwise.
Hardly off topic, even if you and I find little to agree about.

Old 06-23-2019, 04:03 AM

Quote:
What I said is what I wrote. UK is interdependent on the nations around it. Pretty naïve to think otherwise.
Hardly off topic, even if you and I find little to agree about.
What you said was first rate word salad.

Actually what's naive in an ever shrinking planet is to assume your best options are in your immediate proximity.

Old 06-23-2019, 04:24 AM

Quote:
What you said was first rate word salad.

Actually what's naive in an ever shrinking planet is to assume your best options are in your immediate proximity.

What's naïve is to think Britain's interests could be better served outside of the continent of Europe to which it is part of at not undue cost to itself. Ever shrinking planet? Really? So explain why so many nations seek the security of a trade grouping? Be it ASEAN or EU or NATO or the African and South American equivalents. Big world out there to go t alone and not be devoured or at least exposed to not most favourable options when signing the dotted line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom