Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 12:37 PM

32,663 posts, read 48,091,772 times

Advertisements

The UK and the USA are family. They have family squabbles but if threats come from outside, the UK has the USA's back and the USA will always have the UK's back.

You are wasting your time, OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2019, 03:15 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,515,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
The UK and the USA are family. They have family squabbles but if threats come from outside, the UK has the USA's back and the USA will always have the UK's back.

Hey,North Idaho.
You're absolutely right brother.
Before he died my grandfather had nearly annual meet-ups with American chums he met fighting the Nazis during WW2.
Between them they lost plenty of comrades in the mud of Northern France and Germany.

Boy did they chew the fat over some liquid lunches and late nights.
He had immense respect for his American pals and he never forgot that without their intervention Europe would have been lost to Hitler.
We're wasting our time trying to educate keyboard warriors.

Old 06-25-2019, 04:49 PM

1,877 posts, read 678,753 times
More likely it would have been lost to Stalin in the end! Germany would have lost the war eventually anyway without US involvement I think, but it would have lasted a few years longer and the iron curtain would have descended much further west, possibly at the English Channel.

Either way, its a good thing that the US did join in from a European perspective, and from a US perspective too as a Soviet controlled Western Europe would not have been good for US interests at all.

Old 06-26-2019, 12:20 AM

39 posts, read 37,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
The people in the US are FAR more materialistic,
So British people don't want new cars, new iPhones, new XBoxes, new appliances, new everything?

Quote:
I don't think we would want their working hours
So British people don't work for 40 hours a week?

Quote:
or their gun laws
I don't like it either. Numerous mass shootings in schools alone and still nothing has changed.

If that keeps up, it could potentially damage their economy.

Old 06-26-2019, 01:53 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,037,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Reese View Post
So British people don't want new cars, new iPhones, new XBoxes, new appliances, new everything?

I don't like it either. Numerous mass shootings in schools alone and still nothing has changed.

I didn't say that, but everybody knows that in the US its often all about the size of your house, the size of your car, the size of your garden, the size of your barbeque etc, its just (generally) more important to people in the US than it is to people in the UK that's all, there are numerous examples of this on this site if you want to go look. People in the US also work longer hours and have less holidays, again read through some threads on here and you will see this come up numerous times. There is nothing wrong with it its just that as an English man I am happier with the English 'way of life', if I was an American man its quite possible that I would think differently - ultimately though the point I made (in response to one particular post) is that British people do NOT want to live like Americans (the way somebody (an American I think) claimed). British people though DO hold Americans in high regard because of the times they have 'had our back', the same with Australians and 'other' Anglo nations - we are like a family, sometimes squabble, have our differences but ultimately cut from the same cloth - and that DOESN'T mean we 'dislike' other nationals or nations either!

Old 06-26-2019, 02:57 AM

6,046 posts, read 5,963,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

Well at a price maybe. The Americans did not have the UK's back covered in the early years of WW2. Besides making a considerable profit from shoring up Britain in ships and weapons of course.

The USA refusal to support the Anglo/French invasion of Egypt seeing it as a colonial enterprise which resulted in a halt to operations under duress and led to a loss of British willingness to engage overseas in such a leading role for decades after (I suppose The Falklands would have been the next major intervention) all suggest that the USA does not watch UK's back. Very far from it.

Brit's did not partake in Vietnam though America wanted them there but were earlier part of UN forces in Korea and of course the ridiculous Gulf War.

Old 06-26-2019, 03:05 AM

6,046 posts, read 5,963,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Reese View Post

Although neo liberal economic policy was forced down the necks of British, still the population although more materialistic sadly than decades back, as well as becoming somewhat house obsessed, it is still not quite to the degree of America. People generally love their NHS and believe in a health system free at entry point for citizens, as well as proper paid holidays and travel. I'd say life is still less about work than US but probably more so than a few decades back .

Old 06-26-2019, 05:33 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,434,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Although neo liberal economic policy was forced down the necks of British, still the population although more materialistic sadly than decades back, as well as becoming somewhat house obsessed, it is still not quite to the degree of America. People generally love their NHS and believe in a health system free at entry point for citizens, as well as proper paid holidays and travel. I'd say life is still less about work than US but probably more so than a few decades back .
I know what life was like in England back in the 60s, because I lived it........ The English were far less materialistic than today. Kid's didn't wear football shirts, or trainers (sneakers for our American friends here).

A large part of the population, including me, lived in council housing. All governments since the war, had made housing a priority, especially in areas of the country badly damaged by German bombing.

I have spoken decades ago with people who were born in the 1920s, and in my grandmother's case, the 1890s. Life was very hard, with few paid holidays, and no NHS. My dad's generation accepted death as very much a part of life. Not just the elderly, but children as well. My grandmother had six children die, most as babies, or toddlers. One as a 21 year old young woman of a brain tumour.

So, my father's generation, after the war, were grateful for things more important than possessions. The NHS coming into being at the end of the 1940s, and council housing built with a proper indoor bathroom and toilet. My grandmother never had a bathroom, or indoor toilet until she was 78 years old.

Their knowledge of America came from movies, and later television. It's with television, we came to see this idealised lifestyle. Even Lucille Ball had a huge kitchen, and a gigantic fridge. Seen at the end of the 60s in colour, America seemed like a land of dreams.

I remember watching a movie called, 'Your's, Mine, and Ours', in about 1968, with Henry Fonda and Lucille Ball. It showed a lifestyle few ordinary English people could even dream of. The truth as we know, was different for many millions of Americans. But, for a growing middle class, the American Dream could be a true one.

But, for sure back then, for the English, folks worked to live, not lived to work. A small part of the population went to university compared to today. But, an ordinary working man, with effort, could buy a home of his own. I got my first mortgage at the age of 24, buying a brand new semi-detached house. I was just a factory worker at that time. Today, this would be impossible for someone of the same age, unless given outside help, like parents paying a deposit.

People today in England, find life much harder than my generation did. Looking back, it was a golden time that didn't last very long. From the PM in 1957, Harold MacMillan saying 'you've never had it so good' with jobs aplenty, to unemployment reaching the dizzy heights of one million in 1972, was only 15 years.

It was a steady downhill path after that, with eventually Margaret Thatcher coming to power in 1979. Unemployment climbed massively within a short time of her becoming PM. It's been up and down ever since. Some parts of the country doing very well, and others not so much.

The generation now almost passed, had a high regard for America. My grandmother knew young American soldiers during the war, as did my father, who was just a kid. My generation also had the same good feeling towards America, and Americans. I still feel the same way. I have a high regard for the ordinary American people. When I first visited America 30 years ago, they did not disappoint me. We are kin. I feel it when I visit, and nothing will change my mind on this issue.

Old 06-26-2019, 06:07 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,733,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Here is a better question for you Ivan Reese, why does Poland remove memorials to Soviet soldiers but France and Holland do not remove American memorials? Is it okay for you to explore that or does it hurt your feelings?
Really? Do a little research for yourself... The Reds were not in Poland to save them from anybody..... Look up the Katyn forest and the Warsaw uprising.....

Old 06-26-2019, 07:06 AM

13,652 posts, read 20,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I know what life was like in England back in the 60s, because I lived it........ The English were far less materialistic than today. Kid's didn't wear football shirts, or trainers (sneakers for our American friends here).

A large part of the population, including me, lived in council housing. All governments since the war, had made housing a priority, especially in areas of the country badly damaged by German bombing.

I have spoken decades ago with people who were born in the 1920s, and in my grandmother's case, the 1890s. Life was very hard, with few paid holidays, and no NHS. My dad's generation accepted death as very much a part of life. Not just the elderly, but children as well. My grandmother had six children die, most as babies, or toddlers. One as a 21 year old young woman of a brain tumour.

So, my father's generation, after the war, were grateful for things more important than possessions. The NHS coming into being at the end of the 1940s, and council housing built with a proper indoor bathroom and toilet. My grandmother never had a bathroom, or indoor toilet until she was 78 years old.

Their knowledge of America came from movies, and later television. It's with television, we came to see this idealised lifestyle. Even Lucille Ball had a huge kitchen, and a gigantic fridge. Seen at the end of the 60s in colour, America seemed like a land of dreams.

I remember watching a movie called, 'Your's, Mine, and Ours', in about 1968, with Henry Fonda and Lucille Ball. It showed a lifestyle few ordinary English people could even dream of. The truth as we know, was different for many millions of Americans. But, for a growing middle class, the American Dream could be a true one.

But, for sure back then, for the English, folks worked to live, not lived to work. A small part of the population went to university compared to today. But, an ordinary working man, with effort, could buy a home of his own. I got my first mortgage at the age of 24, buying a brand new semi-detached house. I was just a factory worker at that time. Today, this would be impossible for someone of the same age, unless given outside help, like parents paying a deposit.

People today in England, find life much harder than my generation did. Looking back, it was a golden time that didn't last very long. From the PM in 1957, Harold MacMillan saying 'you've never had it so good' with jobs aplenty, to unemployment reaching the dizzy heights of one million in 1972, was only 15 years.

It was a steady downhill path after that, with eventually Margaret Thatcher coming to power in 1979. Unemployment climbed massively within a short time of her becoming PM. It's been up and down ever since. Some parts of the country doing very well, and others not so much.

The generation now almost passed, had a high regard for America. My grandmother knew young American soldiers during the war, as did my father, who was just a kid. My generation also had the same good feeling towards America, and Americans. I still feel the same way. I have a high regard for the ordinary American people. When I first visited America 30 years ago, they did not disappoint me. We are kin. I feel it when I visit, and nothing will change my mind on this issue.

Cue "Shrangri La" by the Kinks, the most English of English bands.

Come on Dave English, sing it with me!

Now that you've found your paradise
This is your kingdom to command
You can go outside and polish your car
Or sit by the fire in your Shangri-la
Here's your reward for working so hard
Gone on the lavatories in the back yard
Gone all the days when you dreamed of that car
You just want to sit in your shangri-la
Put on your slippers and sit by the fire
You've reached your top and you just can't get any higher
You're in your place and you know where you are
In your Shangri-la
Sit back in your old rocking chair
You need not worry, you need not care
You can't go anywhere
Shangri-la
Shangri-la
Shangri-la

The little man who gets the train
Has got a mortgage hanging over his head
But he's too scared to complain
'Cause he's conditioned that way
Time goes by and he pays off his debts
Got a T.V set and a radio
For seven Shillings a week
Shangri-la
Shangri-la
Shangri-la
Shangri-la
Shangri-la
Shangri-la

And Mr Davies was not singing about America Mr. English Dave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom